PDA

View Full Version : Effective hour building costs...

Lew747
3rd Dec 2008, 19:03
I was thinking the other day how many people love coming up flying with me and are very keen to be taken up.

Anyone here done hour building where almost every flight you would split the cost of the flight 4-ways (if the aircraft was a 4 seater). Technically it would only work out for the PIC as £40 odd an hour! Problem comes with trying to keep this up for 100 hours though....

Lewis :ok:

daria-ox
3rd Dec 2008, 19:08
Could you send me your number through PM?

A friend of mine is also looking for someone to build up hours with, he lives in your area!

Just PM me, and I'll give you his number, or give him your number :)

Mikehotel152
3rd Dec 2008, 19:52
You'll be surprised at how few people actually come flying with you after expressing great enthusiasm when first hearing about your exploits...but good luck; it's certainly a workable idea. :ok:

newb737ng
4th Dec 2008, 07:57
I heard of a PPL holder in australia who built hours by leaving notices in backpacker hostels asking if anyone needed a lift (by plane) to a nearby town - he would fly and they would all split the cost. I'm not sure how legal this is but he managed to get quite a few hours this way...

overclock25
4th Dec 2008, 08:06
If you are interested to get your hours in Florida at very cheap cost (within few days) contact me in PM. I've flown there and got my 100 hours in 2 weeks! :ok:

RMarvin86
4th Dec 2008, 10:46
This is how I'm actually taking up people in a 4 seat plane:

Invite someone who wants to fly and tell him it will be FREE (just for him) if he finds two paying passengers.

After you have flown with the 2 pax. you tell them the same story: did you enjoy? It will be free the next time if you find 2 other paying passengers.

In this way you get in touch with more people and the free passenger (call him copilot, works better) will be striving to find people paying to fly.

It works :D

pilotmike
4th Dec 2008, 11:44
You'll be surprised at how few people actually come flying with you after expressing great enthusiasm
Mikehotel152, has word finally got around?!

And to answer RMarvin86:
tell him it will be FREE (just for him) if he finds two paying passengers....

In this way you get in touch with more people...
Yeah, probably the authorities will be very quick to get in touch with you for a little 'chat' about advertising for flying complete strangers for money in this way! Who knows how many 'close' friends you'll make during your spell inside.

RMarvin86
4th Dec 2008, 12:26
Yeah, probably the authorities will be very quick to get in touch with you for a little 'chat' about advertising for flying complete strangers for money in this way! Who knows how many 'close' friends you'll make during your spell inside.

I'm not talking about advertising through some kind of "media", don't know how you name it but only to people you know and their relatives or friends. The money you take is only to share the cost to have some fun together. In this way I use to pay 50% of the overall cost and pax. the other half. Worked for me and other people without having any kind of troubles.

pilotmike
4th Dec 2008, 13:24
I'm not talking about advertising through some kind of "media"
Advertising is advertising, by whatever means. Doing it by 'financial inducement' might be deemed to be the worst kind by the authorities.
The money you take is only to share the cost to have some fun together. In this way I use to pay 50% of the overall cost and pax
Yeah, have some fun together, and for you to get financial reward for flying complete strangers. I think you will find that the exemption granted for 'cost shared' flights are for the cost to be shared equally - amongst people you know.

Your 'freebie' is completely different, as it is a blatant financial bribe to people you only met last flight (when you charged them as complete strangers to fly), to get them to drag along more complete strangers to subsidise your flying costs.

Look mate, it isn't me you have to convince, it is the authorities. You know full well that you are charging complete strangers for flights when you clearly stated:
tell him it will be FREE (just for him) if he finds two paying passengers.... In this way you get in touch with more people and the free passenger (call him copilot, works better) will be striving to find people paying to fly.
To me, it looks cut and dried. I feel sure any authority would see it the same way. That you hope to be a commercial pilot, then you advertise in a public forum of professional pilots that you are doing these illegal flights seems rather short-sighted.

RMarvin86
4th Dec 2008, 13:43
PilotMike I know you're totally right so nothing to complain about it but all that "strangers" are friends of friends most of them between 18 and 25 years old going to high school or univ. and how much do I charge them? somethimes 30 other times 40 euro. sometime even 25 euro. Is it illegal? probably yes but no body cares and I don't feel like I'm doing something incorrect, I'm not earning anything and still paying to fly :ugh:
Take it easy :ok:

Airflight69
4th Dec 2008, 14:04
Hi everyone. I am looking for a trial lesson but all i found so far are £120+/h. I had a few in the past so if anyone can offer me a better value pm me. I live in west london and there are a few airfields round here.

pilotmike
4th Dec 2008, 14:29
That should be just fine then. So long as the law is changed from being illegal to fly for hire or reward, to make an exclusion if:

- You're hour building to be a commercial pilot, ie. be remunerated for flying
- The strangers you take as passengers know at least one other passenger you illegally flew earlier
- Your passengers are young and in higher education
- They only pay about 40 Euros
- And you're not employed

Is it illegal? probably yes but... I don't feel like I'm doing something incorrect,
Commercial pilots are usually expected to work to rather more stringent standards and interpretations of the law.
but no body cares
You might well find that quite a few people do care.

RMarvin86
4th Dec 2008, 14:59
You might well find that quite a few people do care.

Off course and I'm also doing it really secretly but then when it happens you offer them a free flight and their happy :E

Commercial pilots are usually expected to work to rather more stringent standards and interpretations of the law.

Sure, also a little of flexibility :ok:

BTW only payment by credit card.

Have a good day :p