PDA

View Full Version : TSA, how long?

flyer_spotter
3rd Dec 2008, 00:25
Hello, I'm a permanent residence (born in Canada) in Sacramento CA. Currently I'm in my senior year in high school and I'm doing my senior project on learning how to fly.

Since I'm not a US citizen, I was informed by flight school that I have to have my background checked before I start flying. The thing is, it's already December, and I think I have to get my hours logged (10 hours for the project) before Feb. So I am just wondering how long the whole TSA background check for foreign flight student would take? Hopefully it won't take too long, money is not the problem but I just want to get it over with asap...

So yea, thanks a lot.

Kevin:ok:

drambuster
3rd Dec 2008, 13:19
Hi Kevin,

This forum is more UK than US oriented so that probably explains why you haven't been overwhelmed with responses !

Your best bet would be to contact the editor of US Flying magazine as they are bound to be able to give you good advice:

Flying Magazine - Contact Us (http://www.flyingmag.com/news/1077/article.asp?section_id=21&article_id=247)

Or the US magazine 'Plane & Pilot' has some excellent writers whom I'm sure will assist:

Contact Us | PlaneAndPilotMag.com (http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/contact-us.html)

Maybe an even quicker way would be to telephone around various FBOs (fixed base operators) at local airfields to get a general consensus - 20 minutes on the 'phone and you should have all the information you need. Try the following link:

Airports in/near Sacramento CA (http://www.eachtown.com/airports.php/cityid/4128)

Best of luck with your senior project - hope it all goes well :)

Drambuster

IO540
3rd Dec 2008, 14:05
I found the TSA stuff took about 2 weeks. This was in 2005/2006. One has to go to fingerprinting centre and get fingerprinted; the prints get sent direct to the TSA.

The Visa issues take much longer but it is just possible that a Canadian citizen might not need the M1 Visa for flight training. For the Visa, you need to pick a Part 141 school which issues an I-20 etc etc etc and then you can apply for the visa etc etc. It's all been done to death here - some sticky threads up at the top.

BackPacker
3rd Dec 2008, 18:45
If you are reasonably quick in responding to the e-mails that you receive from the TSA, I think the whole process should not last more than a few days. There are several steps to the process, but on the TSA side they're all automated, at least until the point they receive your fingerprints. So until then, it won't be the TSA holding things up.

The background check that the TSA does after receiving your fingerprints is more involved, but the funny thing is, you may already start training after the TSA acknowledges receipt of your fingerprints, *before* the background check is complete. At least, that applies for private pilots. For more advanced training you need to wait until the background check is done.

If you find a place that does electronic fingerprinting (check the TSA site) you should be able to have the TSA send you acknowledgment of receipt of your fingerprints (which is the magic e-mail that allows you to start training) within two or three days, I guess.

Since your primary purpose of being in the US is not flight training I would say that you do not need an M-1 visa for this. In fact, you might already have another visa as a permanent resident and I don't think you can hold two visas simultaneously. However, as with all things visa, I would contact the relevant authorities and ask to make sure. And read the fine print that comes with your current visa.