PDA

View Full Version : Will aviation related employment be helpful...?

ravanelli295
2nd Dec 2008, 17:42
Hi,

I am graduating from uni next year...obviously i want to be a pilot eventually, but unlike many people....i want to actually have the capital to pay for training...especially during these bad times....i have virtually no student debt...and 10k of savings....under my belt....

Gonna work for a few years....would an aviation related career increase my chances of success with finding a job with an airline in the future? They dont pay very well....

But saying that, i want to save up the money as quick as possible, maybe with another unrelated well paid career...

My degree is in business but ive studied aviation related modules aswell....

Anyone saved up enough money to pay for an ATPL from thier careers within a few years?

IrishJetdriver
2nd Dec 2008, 22:07
Get a career sorted out that you can fall back on and that will give a reasonable income to prepare for your chosen path.

Perhaps a job at the local flying club, helping out etc. I remember being underneath a Jodel cleaning sheep sh*t off the underneath of the glider tug. it got you involved and although maybe not that many people wanted to shake your hand at that point it did give some contacts and some knowledge.

Good plans thus far and good luck !!

corsair
2nd Dec 2008, 22:31
Well it wouldn't do you any harm. It's helpful for yourself in terms of getting experience and knowledge of aviation. It can also help with networking, as you will meet pilots and wannabes working their way through the system depending on where you work of course.

Most of my work experience was aviation. It didn't do any harm. But in truth, it won't get you the job as you sit in front of the airline interviewer.

If you're intent of getting the money together to train, well get the best paying job you can. Being successful in any business will look good at an interview and on a CV. As you say aviation jobs are often not so well paid.

You can save the whole amount, but rather than do that. Set a target to save to and borrow the rest. Some people have a peculiar aversion to borrowing money and being in debt. Well that's the way life is. Are you going to save up to buy a house? Do you intend to buy all your cars in cash? Once you get used to the idea of being in debt forever it's easy. Even rich people borrow money for their projects. They didn't get rich by risking their own money. The risk other people's money. That's how they got rich and stayed rich.

One of the reasons we have a recession is that people cannot borrow money as easily anymore. (Another reason of course is that the wrong people found it too easy to borrow money.)