PDA

View Full Version : Raw data flying

Brie
2nd Dec 2008, 10:59
Hello,

I was wondering if it is in your company allowed to do raw data flying, more specific during departure and approach; and if so, in what kind of conditions??

Last week i did some in very ****ty weather, and i was happy to be on the ground. ;)

Although i have the impression i have to sharp my flying skills and that the sim sessions are not sufficient.

Tell me your opinions/experience about that.

Boingboingdriver
2nd Dec 2008, 13:55
Hi Brie,

Thats a chees#y# name no?:}
My airline allows and encourages manual flying in situations when traffic and weather arent too much of a factor.
Concerning the raw data flying,flying a 737 myself, i not only allow but encourage my fos to do so.FDs/AT/AP off and ask for vectoring:-)
Some havent had the chance to fly other aircrafts than ZE LNAV slave making Jets ,so in that case yes SIMS arent just not enough.
When some are comfortable with the handling,situation awareness,following sops during nice weather, i let them do the same in IMC.

However I discourage flying a raw data DEPARTURE in busy environment(ie UK) as it may overload the pilot and may induce potential noise abatements problems,track deviations and level busts.

Always ask your captain BEFORE you decide to fly raw data during descent/arrival to allow for a proper briefing.(ie when to recycle FDS,set missed appr alt...rearming a/t in case of a G/A...) if he gladly agrees you are in good hands,if he seems unsure..try it with another Capt the next day.

Enjoy your flights!

Capt Std:E

helimutt
2nd Dec 2008, 14:06
Raw Data flying? The only way to travel. When doing one of my first line checks, the training captain aksed what type of approach I would be doing back at the airfield. I thought I needed to do it so said a 'self positioned, raw data hand flown ILS' What a nut! I could have done it fully coupled, radar vectored etc but no, I made life difficult for myself. DOH!:=
As I fly offshore helis, so i guess it's slightly different, but I still fly nearly every other sector I do as PF, Raw Data hand flown, no matter what the weather is doing. If it's really bad, push the buttons. :ok:
No good an LPC/OPC coming around and having to hand fly it and not having practiced it! We aren't allowed to couple up on LPC's, even though the ops manual says we should use AP whenever we can!!! Go figure!

INNflight
2nd Dec 2008, 14:29
If it's really bad, push the buttons.

..... you mean of course for the ejection seat :D

helimutt
2nd Dec 2008, 15:37
Of course. :E

G SXTY
2nd Dec 2008, 19:57
It's not specifically banned, but I don't personally know anyone who would choose to fly raw data - that's why we have a flight director.

Nothing wrong with a bit of hand flying to keep in practice, but turning off something as useful (and reliable) as the flight director strikes me as a bit over the top.

Boingboingdriver
2nd Dec 2008, 20:35
GSXTY
Totally disagree with you.
Flying raw data lets say from first radar vectors is not only enjoyable but gives confidence to flight crews.
I often fly without flight directors,Paris,amsterdam,london,vienna...and achieve all requirements of the airline and airport im flying to.

It is enough to once see a Training Captain flying manual(APs not engageable)with one hand and the other playing with the MCP!!!

Capt STD:E

Maybe airbus is different but 737s,specially NGs are just so stable and fun to fly.:ok:

G SXTY
2nd Dec 2008, 21:20
You're welcome to disagree - but not everything is as stable and as nice to hand fly as a 737 . . . ;)

argon18
2nd Dec 2008, 22:45
No choice on the Mighty Electra. All raw data and all hand flown. She's a fantastic aeroplane to fly.

MMEMatty
3rd Dec 2008, 17:57
Especially 'FB with the little instruments that you need Binoculars to see!

God i'm going to miss it, and i only flew it a handful of times!

Matty

argon18
3rd Dec 2008, 22:36
She may have little instruments but her props sound awesome. The people of Liege this week have been treated to her special sound.

helimutt
3rd Dec 2008, 22:40
S76, nice and stable. Raw Data? Great fun! Flight Directors are for girls!:ok:;)

Jet Fuel Addict
5th Dec 2008, 12:04
Hear hear!

I try to do it if I feel like it (and I do feel like it a lot...) But it depends on the weather, how busy the environment is and whether your captain is comfortable with it.
Especially a Captain you've never flown with will be less tempted to let you switch of FD's. Like today :* What's the point of disconnecting if you are following a crosshair?

Still though if you do it, make sure you brief for it as most of the guys flying are quite comfortable with all the automatics in place.
Once decided to switch all off in IMC cloudbase at 300 feet. Captain let me continue as I flew with him before, but gave me a right bollocking after the shutdown checks...:8 And in hindsight, fair enough!!!
(Still, nice approach though, makes you feel really good)

737 is indeed very nice to fly

Sciolistes
5th Dec 2008, 12:28
Occasionally, with the Capt's agreement, I sometimes choose to disconnect at FL100ish and perhaps get the Captain to take the FD off on final. Keeping on top of raw data handling is important as flying is a multi-faceted skill and all areas need regular exercise. However, the most important thing is managing the flight as a whole which really requires automation to keep work load down for both pilots in anything less than excellent VMC and a low traffic environment (as previously mentioned).

Yes, the 737 is very easy to pole around the sky, but if it does get unstable the situation can deteriorate incredibly rapidly!

nuclear weapon
6th Dec 2008, 09:40
It depends on the airline. In my opinion hte autopilot is there to relieve the workload on the crew. We have a training capt in my company very nice chap he puts on the autopilot before you know it and sometimes when acting as a safety pilot i can see why.