PDA

View Full Version : Q from a Fixed-Winger: are heli controls self-centering?

ColeTrickle
2nd Dec 2008, 10:52
Hi all,
a question rose under our little plank-flyers group: are helicopter flight control self-centering? In most fixed-wing aircraft the controls (above all rudder) return to or near a center position (almost like there being a spring centering them).

What about your machines? Are there forces centering the (fly)stick/rudder?

My heli introductory flight was way in the past and that little R22 was seemingly so focused on trying to kill me, I was not able to store any bit of the experience in long-term memory ;-)

Best Regards

Cole

topendtorque
2nd Dec 2008, 11:05
Production aeroplanes are inherently stable, usually.
all helicopters are inherently unstable, usually.

F/Ws, brush the old extrovert blond locks back, smile, don't interfere with controls too much, lifes a beach
R/Ws, are occupied by rheumy eyed introverts, if something bad hasn't happened, then it is about to.

got it?
have a nice day
tet

VfrpilotPB/2
2nd Dec 2008, 11:08
Let go of the stick on the R22 and you let go of life, well unless you are very quick, I think many other may give you better answers but most larger Helis are a little forgiving, but as rule of thumb, you need your hands on things,.............. unless George is flying!

Peter R-B
Vfr

firebird_uk
2nd Dec 2008, 11:10
None of the controls are, but many of the pilots are. :}

KNIEVEL77
2nd Dec 2008, 11:25
Firebird UK lights blue touch paper then waits.................::eek:

Brilliant Stuff
2nd Dec 2008, 13:14
On the machines fitted with stabilisation the cyclic returns to the last trimmed position. Hence no trimming into turns whilst IFR.

I hope that answers your question.

JimL
2nd Dec 2008, 13:48
...and the corollary is that most fixed wing aircraft can be certificated for flight into IMC without stepping outside the main body of Part 23 but helicopters have to satisfy an additional set of handling quality requirements in Appendix B to Parts 27/29.

Jim

Oogle
2nd Dec 2008, 14:31
are helicopter flight control self-centering?

Not without a force trim system they're not.

Shawn Coyle
2nd Dec 2008, 15:21
Reversible flight controls in light airplanes are self-centering due to aerodynamic forces acting on the control surfaces. If properly set up and maintained, the friction will ensure they return to their trimmed condition.
Reversible controls in helicopters (R-22, Schweizer 300, MD500 series) are not necessarily self-centering due to loads fed back from the rotor blades. These forces vary with the flight condition and a host of other variables. But they are not the same as a reversible control fixed wing airplane.
Aircraft with irreversible flight controls (hydraulically boosted typically) have to employ artificial feel systems to try to duplicate the situation found in a reversible control system. Typically this involves a force gradient system, with a motor to trim (in fixed wing and some helicopters) and in nearly all helicopters with artificial feel, a trim release system.
Trim release is merely a faster acting way to reduce the control forces to zero at a specific stick position.

ShyTorque
2nd Dec 2008, 18:54
A conventional helicopter has no inherent natural stability. Therefore a hydraulically boosted control setup with no artificial feel or trim system allows the cyclic stick to more or less fall to the lowest corner of the cockpit if the friction is undone. The aircraft will follow in a similar direction. :)

These aircraft are no longer allowed to be operated IMC in UK.

On the other hand, some of the more advanced helicopter autopilots will allow the pilot to fly hands off and will do more than a fixed wing one can.

ramen noodles
3rd Dec 2008, 09:50
Yes, helicopter controls are self-centering. If you let go of the controls of a helicopter for several seconds, the controls will be found in the hole that the helicopter makes, roughly in the center. :\

DOUBLE BOGEY
3rd Dec 2008, 18:09
Hey Mr Noodles, that was funny. Keep it coming.

I hear the EC225 has a little button you can press and hey presto - the cyclic centres itself.

ShyTorque
3rd Dec 2008, 19:39
That's just the co-pilot's panic button. He presses it, a big red light comes on and the captain takes control again.......