PDA

View Full Version : Self Induced Engine Failure

GeorgeMandes
2nd Dec 2008, 04:42
So I refueled today in Iliamna, Alaska where it was zero F and windy. Cranked and headed for a strip on Lake Clark, was about 1,000 feet agl when both air vents on the front doors of the 530F popped open. Even though I was wearing bunny boots and winter gear, including mid weight gloves, it was breezy enough that I decided to close the vents.

Tightened the collective friction, took the cyclic in my left hand, stretched right to get the darn vent closed. Switched hands, got the left vent closed, and loosened the collective friction some. Unfortunately, I managed to not only loosen the collective friction but roll off the throttle. Got a yaw, auto relight, and a rotor horn. I put the collective down, cyclic back, right pedal, and pointed into the wind. With that done, I realized I still had an engine, rolled the throttle back full, and happily flew away.

After a flat light/snowball landing at my next stop, the first thing I did was put my light flight gloves back on!

Gordy
2nd Dec 2008, 04:46
And changed your shorts no doubt--good job.

FH1100 Pilot
2nd Dec 2008, 11:04
Auto relight? How far did you roll that throttle off?

I guess we've all done those "D'OH!" things.

Each aircraft is peculiar. The 500-series is nice in that you don't have to remove your hand from the collective to apply friction but, as you found out the hard way, there can be a downside.

Capn Notarious
2nd Dec 2008, 11:26
there can be a downside, when it hits your backside.

Thank you for an interesting read.

SASless
2nd Dec 2008, 12:50
....and there I was thinking I was unique!

Cessna 210....total time in type...model...and local flying area....as long as it took to break ground...get the landing gear up...begin a turn...and start looking for the traffic ATC told me of....began to reduce power.....got a distinct shock when the engine started to die....immediately un-did what I had done....realized I had gotten the wrong knob. Still looking for the traffic....eased off on the power again....and realized from the sound of a dying engine....had done it all over again. :oh:

Third time I did the look...find...identify...grab...confirm....drill before moving anything! Very good thing I was alone.....hat size down quite a few down from breakfast.

vaqueroaero
2nd Dec 2008, 13:29
So all that training with A.W. pays off even in a different machine!

Had a friend who managed to get part of his shorts caught on the beep switch in a 500. Beeped it all the way down until the low rpm horn came on. He made a safe landing and initially thought it was a low side governor failure.

All the best to you and Charlie, and look forward to seeing you next time in Fort Worth.

John.

Shawn Coyle
2nd Dec 2008, 15:26
Didn't pay particularly good attention to the pre-flight on an OH-58A. Requirement was to put the throttle at idle and check the pointer position against a mark on the fuel control. It was real close to the mark...
End of a very good flight doing engine offs, and decided to give the student one more as he charged off down the long runway. Rolled the throttle back on my side pretty agressively...
Student reacted very well, and as he's in the flare, I'm wondering 'Why is the low rotor horn on when the collective is full down?? And why is the engine oil pressure dropping to zero??'
Student did a marvellous job of the landing and we sat there watching the rotor slow to a stop.
Throttle was misrigged just enough that a hard movement on the left hand throttle would put it to off.
I learned about pre-flights from that.

birrddog
2nd Dec 2008, 16:02
My "favourite" was when I did my first cross-country solo nav-ex.

Map nicely clipped onto my leg board, I leaned forward to check the map, at the same time unbeknown to me pushing cyclic forward as my body leaned forward to read the map. :uhoh:

Needless to say the speed increase and loss of altitude came as a bit of a shock to the system. As if ones first solo nav was not scary enough.... :eek:

These days, if I need to refer to a map, I now put collective friction on, pick up the map and hold it in front of me and slightly to the side.

Almost a decade ago now, but still fresh in my memory!