PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft painting

Squeegee Longtail
1st Dec 2008, 18:43
I am looking for a reputable paint facility in S. England, who can do a bit more than white with wavey stripes.
Any recommendations of good work and service (and price too)?
Thanks in advance.

smarthawke
1st Dec 2008, 19:42
Try Mick Allen at Turweston:

Mick Allen & Son Aircraft Resprays (http://www.allenaircraftresprays.co.uk/)

Beware the cheapest jobs and the ones with no queue... Prices vary depending on aircraft, scheme required etc.

Squeegee Longtail
1st Dec 2008, 20:09
"Beware the cheapest jobs and the ones with no queue"

Doesn't that apply to everything in life?
Thanks for the contact.

jxk
2nd Dec 2008, 03:39
Edmundsons at Thruxton.

Mark 1
2nd Dec 2008, 09:57
Colton (http://www.coltonaviation.com/) at Little Staughton always seem to do a nice job

CMDR114
2nd Dec 2008, 13:37
I agree Colton do a nice job. I am due to pick my plane up from them this week.
Do not expect it in a hurry though.

A and C
2nd Dec 2008, 18:58
Another vote for Mick Allen, he has done to of my aircraft.

AC-DC
2nd Dec 2008, 19:51
Flying Colours at Oxford

smitn05
2nd Dec 2008, 20:08
Airtime Paint Ltd at Bournemouth, have done some of the most stunning schemes Ive seen. Red Bull sea vixen, spitfires, MOD work etc,

Had our PA28 resprayed there a while ago, it looks fantastic.

Chat to Mike on 01202 579999, I was impressed!!

1800ed
2nd Dec 2008, 20:48
The Britten Norman factory on the Isle of Wight has just opened a new paint facility. I went for a look around a couple of months back, the paint shop looks good, and by the looks of the aircraft in there the workmanship looked good too.

Prangster
3rd Dec 2008, 16:06
Bit late with this idea but why not have a painting of the aircraft done after the aircrafts been painted? Suggest it to wife/parent/girlfriend etc etc.. makes a good Chrissie present! and who knows unlike the spam can if you choose the right artist it may even (in time) become a family hierloom with real value

Barcli
3rd Dec 2008, 18:52
Mike Souch _ Airtime at Bournemouth:ok:

XX621
4th Dec 2008, 09:20
How much does a typical single engine piston respray cost, ball park?

aceflyer-jerz
18th Dec 2008, 11:04
Pete Medley @ Flying Colours Oxford :ok:
I'm in the car body repair game. I chose Flying Colours OXFORD because of their attention to detail. I was able to be there to see it throughout and be involved in various stages of preparation, repairs and finish.
Pete's attitude is let’s get it back to bare metal and then let's see what corrosion problems you may have. It's too easy to bury problems under a coat of paint if you’re doing a job to a price. Final pricing is then revised at this stage. His ball park figures were not far out and in fact they came to less than I expected, particularly as Pete devoted quality time in helping me realise my design ideas for something that bit different. See her (G-BFLI)on G-INFO, etc. and see for yourselves. Four years later and she still looked as good as new, alas no more as now she's an ornament at the AAIB.:sad:

AGES
18th Dec 2008, 14:47
Where did you get the new Piper wing tips, they look great :ok:. Did you have any problems having them fitted, i.e. with the landing lights etc

aceflyer-jerz
18th Dec 2008, 18:14
AGES
They are LoiPresti ones from the States, together with HID (Boom Beam) lamps.
Link:LoPresti - Life is short, fly fast. (http://www.speedmods.com)
The tips are a direct replacement for the originals. The HID's are relatively straight forward, but require wiring up to a splitter switch etc (all provided) to be wired into the original wiring. They are an option over a pair of Std. lamps.
e-mail me if you want to know more.

Chris Royle
19th Dec 2008, 14:06
Another vote for Mick Allen at Turweston.
And expect to pay ca. £8k - £10k.

vanHorck
19th Dec 2008, 14:20
Aceflyer

What is the issue with lo presti mods on the CAA register?

Are some speed mods also accepted?

gyrotyro
19th Dec 2008, 16:09
aceflyer-jerz

No dis-respect as your old a/c looks OK, but wasn't the brief for the thread to be something else other than white with a few wavy stripes ?

Your machine appears to be white with......etc.

aceflyer-jerz
19th Dec 2008, 18:09
vanHork wrote
What is the issue with lo presti mods on the CAA register?

These mods have all their STCs' as aplicable, mine was piggy backed for the CAA from another original instalation here already on the G reg.

aceflyer-jerz
19th Dec 2008, 18:35
gyrotyro
Your machine appears to be white with......etc.

I agree your point there. Unfortunately G-INFO pictures don't do justice to the STRIPES, Google'd there are some better pictures of the flip flop colour effect of the stripes which at the time the aircraft was painted were totally unique. It was always difficult to capture the effect in a photo, it had to be seen alive. The aircraft attracted a lot of attention to wherever it went. It also seems to me that ever since I had mine done, wavy lines became the norm.
The point I was trying to show, was that Pete Medley was prepared to put effort into help develop something which at the time was totally unique and a challenge he took enjoyment in doing it almost like a work of art.