PDA

View Full Version : CPL(H) Course, price on own heli?

R44-pilot
1st Dec 2008, 10:35
Sorry if this has been asked before, I had a good look through but couldnt find anything....

My question is....

How much... (mainly aimed at anyone who has operated a school)...

How much do you think a reasonable cost would be to charge for a student using a privately owned R22 be for the 35 hour course? (not mine a friends)

My fuel, A/C hire etc...

Just the schools records, landing fee's etc (although get these free from personal club membership) and the CPL(H) FI wage, and obviously what the schools owner/operators wage. i.e everything but fuel and A/C

Thanks in advance.

biggles99
1st Dec 2008, 21:02
Hi R44 Pilot,

if you re-word your question, you may get more replies.

I may be being stupid, but I cannot understand what you are asking.

best wishes,

Big Ls.

herman the crab
1st Dec 2008, 21:47
Think he's asking how much would he be charged by a school for CPL instruction using his own machine...

HTC

krypton_john
1st Dec 2008, 23:17
... and his own gas.

So how much for CFI for ground and flight time, material, exams etc?

puntosaurus
2nd Dec 2008, 06:17
The CAA Scheme of Charges (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS5~230.pdf) covers their costs. If I read it right it's £63 a paper these days for the theory (*9 for CPL or *13 for ATPL), £729 for the privilege of Fred's company on your test, and £221 for license issue. Ground school required instruction (distance learning) will cost around £2,000 (eg. Bristol, Dragon). An instructor through an FTO should cost you £50-60/hr, though they may charge more if they can get away with it ('administrative overhead of the course etc. etc.), and landing/circuit fees depending on the field (£10-£30 per flight). About £5,000 in total. However, Fred may insist on the helicopter being listed on the FTO's roster, so there may be some charges associated with that, or you may be forced to do the test and the 170A pre-test in a school machine. There may be some extra charges associated with the pre-test 170A flight also ('head of training, paperwork, blah blah !).

HTH.

firebird_uk
2nd Dec 2008, 07:04
Having done the same 6 month's back (but in my 44 on the training FTO) I'd have said Punto's costings were in the ballpark.

Be aware that Fred will insist the machine has a VOR for the test and the 170A. This means that you may have to fly your test in a machine with a completely different instrument fit to your friend's. This can increase workload significantly (as I found).

I'd have thought insurance would also be a problem. I doubt your friend's machine is insured for training and if I was the school I'd see no reason to add it to my policy. I know that in a 44 adding training and SFH to sub 250hr pilots adds a few £K per year if not more.

R44-pilot
2nd Dec 2008, 08:23
Thanks for the suggestions.

The groundschool is being done at the minute, I've just passed my first 5 :D:D so didnt really mean the theory side of things.

It is just the flight training. The machine had been used for ppl and cpl training pretty much all of it's life so should be well eqiupped enough. And from the school who owned it previously i'm sure Mr Cross has tested in it a couple of times.

Biggles... to re-word it, I litterally just want a rough cost of what would be fair to charge me to do CPL(H) Flight training (35hrs) in a private machine (not the schools).

I'll pay the machine and fuel costs. (and circuit and landing fee's)

As for insurance the machine is insured for any ppl(h) holding rated on it etc... It's not covered for intial ppl training i.e they dont want 'students' as such flying it (with out extra cover). CPL seems to be fine.

Weather permitting the course can be done in 2-3 weeks and if we need to add further cover it can be done on a tempo basis.

The school said about this 170a. They said it just has to be approved for training on by the CAA, which it certainly has been all of it's life, not sure if that gets stopped when the machine changes hands but they said if it's not it will take about a month to do.

If it comes to it, i'm not bothered about paying a couple of hours in there machine to do the pre-test etc and flight test. I fly all there R22's or have done. All pretty much the same and to be honest if a "CPL to be" can't do it in a different R22 from one they normally fly should they be going commercial??..... You know what I mean :ok:

Again Punto, circuits and landing fee's are covered by my own annual membership to the airfield.

Thats about as much info as I think I can give.....

Again thanks for the suggestions :)

helicopter-redeye
2nd Dec 2008, 16:12
My view. £100 to £150/ hr for the instruction + £150 to £200/ hr for the F170a.

Varies with site but this is the range, answering your simple question simply.

e

ThomasTheTankEngine
2nd Dec 2008, 16:16
If you dont already have a night rating then you will need to do some night flying which the machine needs to be kitted out and approved for.

puntosaurus
2nd Dec 2008, 22:24
Wow H-R. For those rates I'd move to Sheffield !

helicopter-redeye
3rd Dec 2008, 11:36
That was what the school was charging as a figure to fly on a 'not school machine' (ie to put it on FTO and pay the FI) not what the poor instructor got paid .....