PDA

View Full Version : Airband Receiver Malaysia/Malaysia Airlines

acvc
30th Nov 2008, 20:22
Could anyone tell me if I will be able to board a Malaysian Airlines flight out of Kuala Lumpur with an airband scanner in my cabin luggage? I was thinking of buying a good one on a stop-off, then wondered about the legality of it. Is it same as UK, where you are not permitted to listen to aviation transmissions, but are allowed to possess a scanner? Worst case scenario is I spend money on it in KL, then have it confiscated at security on the way out of the country . . . . Thanks.

ferrydude
1st Dec 2008, 20:46
I don't know the law, I have been told that airband transceivers are not permitted.

Sultan Ismail
2nd Dec 2008, 00:38
Scanners in Kuala Lumpur.
They are seen and heard every weekend at Subang and Simpang, I've been using one here for the last 10 years and often entertain my neighbours with the scanner set up on the veranda tuned to Kuala Lumpur ATC.

Going through Customs is a joke. You will be scanned twice, once immediately after Immigration and again as you enter the gate lounge. I carry phones, cameras etc and the only time I was stopped was when carrying a filodex(?), the ring binder upset the xray machine.

There is no (written) law against transceivers in Malaysia.