PDA

View Full Version : Flights to Turkey from the UK

True Blue
30th Nov 2008, 17:48
I have read several times now that interest in flights to Turkey ex the UK has seen a large increase due mainly to the poor exchange rate against the euro.

I know that Turkey is not in the EU. So what is the situation with airlines wanting to start flights? Leaving aside the lenght of the flight as a possible deterrant, what sort of air services agreement is there between the UK, or EU and Turkey? I assume it is not open skies. Does this mean that any airline wanting to start a service must get agreement?

So far, low cost airlines have been slow to enter the Turkish market. There are a few services by Easy and Pegasus and some flights by Ba to the main tourist airports, but surely there must be room for major expansion in this market ex the UK?

Any views or knowledge out there?

True Blue

BYALPHAINDIA
1st Dec 2008, 20:12
I agree with what you have said, But there is no 'Great' demand for flights to Turkey, Exept the CH flights.

IST is covered by TK as we know, So I can't see EZY, FR or other UK locos flying into IST on a Daily basis?

Also I don't think the Turk Authorities would agree to a kind of 'Open Skies' policy?

TCX has a large CH program to Turkey, And the flights fill well.

On a similar note, For years in Bulgaria, The Bulgarian Authorities would not allow UK CH Airlines to fly into their country, Until a few years back.

Onur Air seem to be adding more & more flights every year from the UK.

Egypt is really 'Taking Off' now and we are operating more flights there as well now.

airhumberside
1st Dec 2008, 20:16
IST is covered by TK as we know, So I can't see EZY, FR or other UK locos flying into IST?
Easyjet serve Istanbul Sabhia Gocken. And worth noting that Pegasus have scheduled STN-Sabhia Gocken service too. Sabhia Gocken is Istanbul's second airport

BYALPHAINDIA
1st Dec 2008, 20:23
Yes AH your'e right, But Pegasus are Turks.

Yeadon Dam
2nd Dec 2008, 07:19
Jet2 are doing Dalaman next Summer.