PDA

View Full Version : Bose X Headset Question

rotorspin
30th Nov 2008, 13:05
Anybody used the portable type in a Jetbox B3?

There appears to be both high and low impedence variants and santa doesn't know which type to put on the sleigh!!

Any help much appreciated!!! :ok:

misterbonkers
30th Nov 2008, 13:14
My high impedance set has worked in R44s, B47, R22, Hiller, B206, AS350 and all but one AS355 (out of 5 and it has a dodgy old fashioned intercom box anyhow).

There's an option in the control box to flick a jumper switch which alters some setting too.

rotorspin
30th Nov 2008, 17:25
Thanks for your help

The audio box looks like it was the originally installed one (1980s)

I will be replacing with a Garmin eventually, but looks like high impedence are the ones to go for?

Outwest
30th Nov 2008, 21:08
American helicopters are high... Eurocopters are low

Not even close, it is entirely the choice of the operator

It is simply the old and the new, originally all a/c were low, all new a/c ( with the exception of the military) are high.

CHC (Okanagan) made the choice years ago to convert all (US and French built) new a/c coming online to the old low style, only after the introduction of the 76 C+ did they finally decide to go modern and have all new a/c delivered with high. Unfortunately now for crews on 76's (A,A+, A++ and C+,C++) means carrying 2 mics for the Bose. A bit of a pain in the a$$.

inputshaft
1st Dec 2008, 08:05
Don't want to restart the old "Bose headsets are super-duper/really cr#p" argument again, but are you aware that DC offers a headset that is dual impedance.

I use a Bose in different helicopters and my advice would be that if you're just going to fly one helicopter, then find the answer to your question and go for the Bose. If you are going to jump between types, it's probably at least a factor in looking at something else, even if you decide the trouble is worthwhile.

Igor13
1st Dec 2008, 10:05
I use a Bose X, it is awesome but I am only busting around in the one Machine. It's a low imp S76.

The 412 & 212 are completely random even within the same company, as are 206s etc.

If there is any chance of flying more than one machine I would be tempted to get a very good but not quite as awesome DC ANR with dual impedance. Then you can strut around with a carefree attitude and one headset flying watever you like. No addition mic leads to stuff around with.

On the other hand, if you are cashed up the additional mic for the Bose is another $700 AUD on top of the $1450 you paid for the headset. Then you can fly anything and look super cool.

Remember, it's all about looking good, that's why chicks dig pilots. :cool: