PDA

View Full Version : Using ATPL Manuals for PPL Studies

jamielatham
28th Nov 2008, 18:32
Hi All;

I was wandering if anyone has ever used ATPL books for their PPL Study?

Would this be too much at the start or will this give you a head start?

Replies Appreciated

Kind Regards

Jamie

Nashers
28th Nov 2008, 18:37
there will be a alot of information in them that you wont need. best study for your ppl exams from ppl books as the atpl books assume you already know the basics.

Whirlygig
28th Nov 2008, 18:56
Aside form the fact that you would have to buy a second hand set of ATPL manuals (which could be out of date) and then another set when you enrol on an ATPL course, I think it would be too much.

It will be harder for you to pick out the aspects of the PPL syllabus which are relevant to the PPL exams plus, for example, Air Law at PPL level is UK based whereas at ATPL level it is ICAO based so there are some differences.

Cheers

Whirls

jamielatham
28th Nov 2008, 19:06
Thanks for the Replies...

I have the full set, but i am feeling that you guys are right in the way that the workload's are increased, and the benifits at this point may not compare.

But if i did crack on with it, are there significant parts left out of the atpl manuals that would be a requirment or benificail to me, for the ppl. Or does the atpl recap on the ppl syllabus and then adding more detail?

Thanks once again

Kind Regards

Jamie

pilotmike
28th Nov 2008, 20:01
Horses for courses...

PPL material for PPL...

ATPL material for ATPL...

Always best to master the basics first - laying good foundations and all that.

Too many people struggle with ATPL study, not just because of the quantity of material which needs to be learned (some of it unnecessarily, some would say...) but because they really haven't mastered (or even understood) the basics.

As a final comment, would you rock up to a rally driver's course to learn to drive a car, without ever having had a single lesson? Of course not - it would be a complete waste of everybody's time.

bajadj
28th Nov 2008, 20:36
PPL confuser for PPL.

Bristol database for ATPL.

tigermagicjohn
30th Nov 2008, 01:29
Why would you want to do that?

I am assuming that the ATPL will not cover all the PPL, because they would assume that you already know this when you start the ATPL.

I have not done the ATPL myself, but have seen the books, you would be dumb to base your PPL exams on reading the ATPL books, the ATPL books goes into more depth, but probably will not cover what you need for the PPL.

Would you use Master degree books in maths, to study for your A-levels in maths? Would be great if you could, but you probably would not understand 90% of what is written, because you do not know the basic fundaments.

I do wonder if sometimes, in the mind of human beings - :ugh:

TopGunGB
30th Nov 2008, 15:04
I just used the Pooley's PPL manuals as well as the confuser and found both to be useful. I read through the confuser to start and hammered away at the questions. I took note of what areas I struggled with and studied those in detail using the Pooley's PPL manuals. Navigation was the only subject the manuals weren't much help to me, but I was briefed by my instructor on how it's done in any case. I'm sure your instructor will do the same. But not to worry, the PPL exams aren't difficult by any means. Treat them as a learning exercise.

Best of luck!

.Aero
30th Nov 2008, 16:15
Hey Jamie,

I would recommend against studying ATPL manuals in order to pass your PPL theoretical exams. You might not believe this, but I think you would actually do worse on your PPL exams having studied from ATPL manuals compared to dedicated PPL manuals such as those produced by Trevor Thom/OAA etc Why? for the simple reason that most of the content found in ATPL manuals is irrelevant to what is required of a private pilot and that of basic VFR flight. You'll also find that the majority of PPL style questions in your ground exams will be harder to answer if you've studied from a manual where a mere 5% of the content relates to your PPL syllabus. You do the maths!

If you really want to give yourself a head start, I would say get stuck into your PPL manuals before you even look into getting your ATPL bricks. Once your armed with PPL theoretical knowledge, you'll find the learning curve required for ATPL theory will be reduced somewhat and allot of the concepts & terms being used won't sound too foreign.

.Aero

EK4457
30th Nov 2008, 18:04
My tuppence;

It's all about getting one thing done and moving on to the next. It has been designed this way.

The vast majority of what you learn will be useless. Some will be downright wrong. There is no such thing as a centrifugal force but nobody told the CAA for instance. The 100 hours P1 required is a random figure. A 50 hour IR course is far too long even for a poor pilot. You will spend thousands of pounds perfecting an NDB hold only to find that nobody does them anymore. Basically, it's a load of bollocks.

But, the best, easiest and cheapest way to get through it is to do as the CAA want. It's thier ball, so to speak.

PPL exams are based on the PPL syllabus. Dedicated PPL books cover that syllabus. The confuser then tells you the questions you're going to get in the exam. Simple.

The ATPL exams are based on a very different syllabus. These are covered by a different set of books. This time it's a web site that tells you the questions your'e going to get. Also, simple.

Just be patient otherwise you'll trip yourself up. Play the game and to try not to be too clever.

You will be required to jump through many rediculous hoops over the next 24 months or so. Do not create more for yourself.

EK

PS
Have you seen the famous JAR ATPL Human Perf Q about smoking?

BelArgUSA
30th Nov 2008, 18:30
Using ATPL books to learn basics of PPL flying...?
Quite comparable to a driving school using a 35 tonnes semi-truck to get a driving licence...
How about learning 2 + 2 before solving equations of the second degree.
Rubens and Rembrandt learned to mix yellow+blue to get green before being masters.
My mother beat my fingers on the piano long before I learned to massacre Chopin Nocturnes...
xxx
Maybe Jamie will get his first solo with A-380...?
:rolleyes:
Happy contrails

.Aero
1st Dec 2008, 06:50
Maybe Jamie will get his first solo with A-380...?

Aww bless.

conk757
11th Jun 2009, 20:54
Hellooo,

Didnt want to start a new thread to ask this question so i tryed to find the nearest thread to it....

Anyway...Im just coming to the end of my PPL now.
2 exams to go (hopefully going to pass within the next month)...And just the navigation exercises for my flying..
Hopefully going to complete it by january but my flying school has changed companies and its all slowed down abit!:(

Im thinking of doing my ATPL exams at bristol gs but was just wondering if i needed my PPL first before i could enroll? Or just need my PPL before i take the exams? because i dont know when i will get my PPL at this rate and i wanted to get stuck into the ATPL theory as soon as possible!

Thanks

James

tolisshow
12th Jun 2009, 06:41
hi there
yesterday sent mail to bristol's girls and they told me i must have ppl..am in the same boat as you - 4 exams remaining to complete ppl- and planning to sign up at bristol distance.althought you havent got your ppl yet,you can buy the atpl material in order to study during your hour building..remember:150 hrs of which 100 PIC,5 hrs night qualification,20 hrs cross country flights,10 hrs instrument instructios and radio nav..

best of luck
tolisshow

conk757
12th Jun 2009, 07:54
cheers,

im going to have to buy a few atpl manuals then just to get abit of a head start!

Was just going to fly enough just to keep current in my atpls and then properly hour build after...

Conk

cirruscrystal
12th Jun 2009, 11:45
ATPL study is completly inappropriate for PPL study, as stated already, large majority will actually tell you the wrong information - AIRLINE TRANSPORT exams, not C152 spam can!

I can understand your thinking of getting more information than you need, but in this area of study it will be counterproductive in my view.

moona
12th Jun 2009, 16:13
If you just want to have a flick through some atpl material before you sign up for the full course you can read some of the free online manuals. At work at the mo so dont have urls to hand but will post back later if any interest.

conk757
12th Jun 2009, 19:02
cirruscrystal (http://www.pprune.org/members/179915-cirruscrystal) wasnt going to use atpl manuals for PPL...just wanted to get abit of a head start for when ive passed my ppl and enrolled on to atpl ground school.

Moona that would be great if i can have them urls..