PDA

View Full Version : ls800 tablet

jxc
27th Nov 2008, 15:49
People keep mentioning the use of a LS800 tablet and buy one on ebay secondhand etc.

My question is there any other tablet from Motion that are any good or even from other manufacturers ?

If so why is it the ls800 is so good ?

Many Thanks

JXC

IO540
27th Nov 2008, 16:04
Historically, very few tablet computers have come with the specially polarised LCDs which are sunlight readable.

Plenty of ruggedised tablets have these screens (do a google on "ruggedised tablet") but they tend to be very heavy - 3kg is not unusual. The widely used Xplore IX104 is one example - almost unusable in the cockpit due to weight and heat generation. Tablet technology lags years behind laptop technology and little effort has been made to make them lightweight. Most tablets, when you dismantle them, are just metal boxes with a traditional small PC motherboard inside; nothing clever at all.

The LS800 is one of the few tablets with the sunlight readable screen, which is also not too big and heavy. However it is now discontinued so it's Ebay etc.

The mfg (Motion (http://www.motioncomputing.com/products/index.asp)) seems to be going after weird medical markets now.

I suspect the general-purpose tablet market is going to collapse, like the PDA market has done, but the big (12") tablets might remain, but they are too big for cockpit use.

jxc
27th Nov 2008, 16:52
So could you recommend any useable laptops including the ones where the screen folds flat on it self

IO540
27th Nov 2008, 17:53
Look here (http://www.google.co.uk) :)

jxc
27th Nov 2008, 18:08
I have looked on the net inc google Just thought other pilots might point me in the right direction.

Thanks anyway

bilhar
27th Nov 2008, 20:21
this one very good

ASUS Eee PC 1000 BK002 Netbook, Linux Preloaded, 1GB RAM, 40GB SSD (Black
price 330 in vat
the harddrives is solid state which gives it long battery 7.5 hours (4 hours really) life and can been used at high altitudes

40gig version only comes with linux
i reloaded with xp so it can run memory map

blue tooth wi fi
they also do p900

Ultranomad
28th Nov 2008, 08:32
I suspect the general-purpose tablet market is going to collapse, like the PDA market has done, but the big (12") tablets might remain, but they are too big for cockpit use.
For straight tablets - quite possibly, but not for convertible ones (keyboard + touchscreen) - in fact, new models are coming every several months.

this one very good
ASUS Eee PC 1000 BK002 Netbook, Linux Preloaded, 1GB RAM, 40GB SSD
Did you outfit an EEE 1000 with an aftermarket touchscreen?