PDA

View Full Version : Caught in a dilemma and need some advice

Nav420
26th Nov 2008, 16:06
Hi Guys,

I have been doing my PPL with a local flying school and have 28 hours and 2 and half hours solo time doing circuits. I have just been introduced to Navigation and have had a couple of lessons on it. I have passed most exams apart from aeroplane technical and navigation. Money and time has been very tight the last 2 months so I have been doing a lot of overtime at work making the money i need for my flying. I now have the money i need to carry on with my flying but as you can all see the weather is terrible.
I want to complete my PPL by February because i want to start the ATPL course in March. I have been doing some research and have found that i can go over to the US and complete whats left of my flying in roughly a week.
Now the reason i didnt do the whole PPL in the US was because i wanted to gain experience in UK airspace as i will predominantly be flying in the UK.
The dilemma i have is whether to go finish it in the states or here in the UK considering i have got 31 hours of flying experience here in the UK but is that enough experience in UK airspace for me to finish up my PPL in the US?
The questions i have are-
Will it be too much hassle getting used to things being done differently in the States as compared to my flying school with the actual a/c, radio, navigating, instructing etc...

The gamble is if i stay here in the UK and try and finish my PPL will the weather improve? because its not exactly going to get better! which will delay me starting my ATPL's in March.

Will it look bad that i have been flying between different schools and countries during my PPL course when i go for a job in the future?

I am also considering finishing my exams with Derek Davison in Bournmouth to get 2 exams left out the way.

Your views and feedback will be greatly valued.

Thanks

Lurking123
26th Nov 2008, 16:36
Can I ask why you are so keen to start ATPL in March? Do you have a course booked or is it just your personal agenda? My reasoning is that you are inevitably going to do things more slowly than you plan. Casting aside the whole lengthy discussion about timing and global economics (there's a big thread on that), you will find that weather, aircraft serviceability, course availability etc will always play a part in your training.

Personally, I would stick with what you have (you know the school, instructors, aircraft, environment) and just accept that things may happen a little more slowly than you wish.

student88
26th Nov 2008, 17:33
Hi Nav,

Don't stress - if I was you I'd work whilst getting the last exams done and dusted and save a bit more cash. Then re evaluate the situation when you've got the exam tickets under your belt, then you can just concentrate on getting the flying done. (is there anything stopping you getting the RT exam and practical done before you to to the US?) If not, get that done too! That's if you are going to go to America that is. Personally looking back I wish I went to the States. I started my PPL course in June 2007 and only got it finished this September. I didnt fly at all over the winter because it was just pointless IMO. I would have done it over there at half the cost, had a nice holiday at the same time and used some of the money I saved to go flying with an instructor back in the UK for a few hours. Why you're starting an ATPL course aside!, I know of someone who started his ATPLs before he'd finished his PPL. Give the course co-ordinator a call and ask some questions they might be able to give you a month or two's grace. Don't worry about switching half way through your training at PPL it probably doesnt mean anything! We all make mistakes and I'm sure you'd rather change half way through and be happier for the latter half than be unhappy all the way through - it's all about enjoying what you're doing!

Good luck with the ATPL course and let us know what you decide upon!

Shunter
26th Nov 2008, 17:52
Going to the states at this stage will cost you more than finishing in the UK, and the hassle involved in visas etc means you won't be able to get over there quickly anyway.

I presume if you're working your nads off you're pretty tied up during the week for lessons. When I was learning and frustrated with the weather I would book 4 lessons every weekend. Early morning and late afternoon on both Sat and Sun. Most of the time you'd get at least 1hr a week, sometimes all 4. Also, if you're progressing well and need to get the hours in there's no reason why you can't do some flying at night and bundle a night qualification into your 45hrs. A lot of schools will recommend against this because it will deprive them of an extra 5hrs revenue, but if you're on schedule to be ready for test before your 45hrs are done it's worth considering as it's a way to fly during the week, even in winter.

Nav isn't too tough, it's mainly practical stuff working out routes and stuff. It's based on the southern chart, so as a shandy-drinking Londoner you hopefully won't have the problems I had (ie. finding the :mad: airfields!). If you can use a whizz-wheel properly you're laughing. Technical requires a lot of knowledge, but there's handy assistance in the form of this (http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/product19670023.html) which you can think of as a Bristol QB for PPL.

Keygrip
26th Nov 2008, 18:50
...apart from all the above...there is no way in hell that you will finish the rest of the hours in one week.

Before an instructor can sign you off solo - of which you still need 7½ hours minimum - they will (legally) have to see you jump through various hoops and excercises - increasing the flight time you need.

By the time you have worked out the legal requirements for coming out here you can have damn near finished doing what you need in the UK.

Trust me - if you are struggling for cash today - coming out here in an attempt to finish off quickly will end in tears.

Please, stay in UK - or ask about going to Spain for waether (of which I know little).

By the way - can I draw your attention to my address in the panel below my user name.

ariel
26th Nov 2008, 18:55
Hi Nav420

Derek at Bournemouth is very good, with many years in 'the trade'. From what I've heard, you shouldn't go far wrong there. (His partner Claire does the groundschool though).

From knowing Derek in the past, what I can tell you is his mantra - 'if you want to fly in the UK, learn in the UK.'

I personally can't see anything wrong with learning in the US, but if I was in your situation, I think I'd stick to the UK to finish it off.

The weather here, unfortunately, is part and parcel of flying in the UK, but I can understand your frustration. If I were you, I'd get the last two exams out of the way, then re-evaluate.

Good luck

Lurking123
26th Nov 2008, 19:30
PS. The last three days in my part of the world (Midlands) have been perfect for PPL flying. UK winters are actually remarkably good. You don't often get day after day of crap weather.

smith
26th Nov 2008, 20:13
Should this not be posted in "Private Flying"?

GIZZAJOB
26th Nov 2008, 20:15
Im known to be wrong , but I think Derek and Claire are no longer Derek and Claire , if you catch my drift . I think they both still do GS but under two seperate companies

Rj111
26th Nov 2008, 21:25
I would strongly recommend delaying you ATPL start date and getting on with your PPL training at a steady pace, unless that is completely unavoidable. You are 20 years old and we are in a recession. There is no hurry to complete training and time is most definitely on your side.

Regards,

AlphaMale
26th Nov 2008, 22:10
The worrying thing is that starting your ATPL GS means the clock is ticking i.e. 18 months to get it finished. When you complete the ATPL GS the next clock starts ticking straight after the other stops, the second clock it ticking as you need to complete both your CPL and IR within 36 months :ugh:

So the way I see it if you're struggling for cash now what will you be like post ATPL GS? HB / CPL / MEP / MEIR ... Will set you back a fair bit.

On the other hand if you did stick to this plan and took the maximum time on both the ATPL GS and not getting the CPL/IR until say 30 months after passing your last exam you'd probably complete your training (4 / 4.5 years time) at the right point of the upturn (At a guess - I am no economist).

RudeNot2
27th Nov 2008, 17:44
The 18 months only starts ticking after the 1st exam is taken I believe - not when you start the groundschool.

Re-Heat
27th Nov 2008, 20:42
If you learn to handle the weather that the UK throws at you this time of year, it will pay dividends many times over down the line.

If you can be flexible with work, the winter can also present some individual great days for flying at short notice...

AlphaMale
27th Nov 2008, 22:02
The 18 months only starts ticking after the 1st exam is taken I believe - not when you start the groundschool.How did I know that somebody I told not so long ago (As seen here http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/347652-good-time-start-training.html#post4472115) would come back and bite on the a*se me for not being clear enough ;)

As RudeNot2 said above it's when you pass the first exam and not when you enroll.