PDA

View Full Version : Check out this Landing!

diarmuid8
26th Nov 2008, 15:52
Yahoo! Ireland (http://ie.yahoo.com/?p=us)

Well done :D

cwatters
26th Nov 2008, 16:12
Slightly different/better reports and better vid...
Light Plane Lands Safely with Dangling Nose Gear (http://www.ktla.com/landing_topstories/?Small-Plane-Makes-Emergency-Landing=1&blockID=145083&feedID=1198)
Small plane makes safe emergency landing at Van Nuys Airport - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-plane-emergency-landing26-2008nov26,0,296799.story)

Invicta DC4
26th Nov 2008, 16:14
Doing what he/she was trained to do?????

Why did this make the news???

Or did it narrowly miss a school/hospital etc. on approach?

diarmuid8
26th Nov 2008, 16:18
How do you know he/she was being paid for conducting that flight? It could have been a person with a PPL multi renting the a/c for an hour. And don't tell me he/she was trained for that scenario, a dual engine failure and a nose wheel problem.

Like I said WELL DONE :D
I'm not saying give the pilot a medal but credit where credit is due.

:mad::mad:

daria-ox
26th Nov 2008, 16:21
What can I say?!

Well done!! :ok:

lomapaseo
26th Nov 2008, 16:21
Why did this make the news???

Probably because somebody got a video of it to show how it's done. I doubt that it would even have been posted here if there was no video.

mcgoo
26th Nov 2008, 16:24
He didn't have dual engine failure, they were shut down to avoid damage on landing, you can see him spinning the port prop level to avoid contact.

bad_attitude
26th Nov 2008, 16:37
textbook! :ok::ok::ok:

Walder
26th Nov 2008, 16:40
I tried the same back in the 1995 (as I remember) in CPH.
We were 2 students onboard and an instructor.:}
I was supposed to have at type-rating on the C402A, and the other student should have an OPC.
I made a SE go-around, and when selecting the gear up there was a strange sound.
It turned out the nose-gear-doors were not in connection with the nose-gear and they were able partial close while the gear was down. That caused the nose-gear unable to retract through a partial closed door, and instead the actuator arm broke due to hidden fatigue. :bored:
We decided to let the instructor land the A/C while we students went to aft as ballast.
Almost no drama except when we left the A/C there came an unexpected loud noise, when one of the fire-trucks decided to put some foam on the fuselage. :\
The A/C was repaired again.

Walder

Pilot DAR
26th Nov 2008, 18:51
The Cessna 310 flight manual instructs that exactly what was done, is to be done, in that situation. Thus And don't tell me he/she was trained for that scenario, a dual engine failure and a nose wheel problem.
the pilot (who I'm sure took type training on the 310, was doing exactly as trained to do, and did an excellent job of it too!

And if in addition he/she skillfully avoided colliding with the school and hospital which would have made the story rise above the horizon of newsworthy, good job on that too!

I nearly had to do the same thing in a 310 25 years ago, but the gear did find it's way down eventually.

Pilot DAR

rotornut
26th Nov 2008, 19:42
who I'm sure took type training on the 310, was doing exactly as trained to do, and did an excellent job of it too!

Exactly! It was a textbook landing. However, many pilots panic in a real emergency and screw up. This guy deserves a lot of credit for keeping a cool head and saving the engines from potentially expensive repairs.

vanHorck
26th Nov 2008, 20:03
I had a suspect landing gear last year en route from Austria to Fowlmere.

Called a pan and diverted to Brussels International, as it happens on the very last day they were serving Avgas at the bar.

The nosewheel held, but we had to do a flypast on the ILS first for an engineer to check the gear from the ground and vectors for a final approach, all in just 500 ft cloudbase.

It was a hell of an experience, including crew management to agree the final procedure on shutting down engines, fuel and electrics and unlatching both doors.

training took over and everything went like clockwork including both approaches and the shut down drills. We were two pilots in the front and only my girlfriend (just gone solo for her PPL) in the back. We were both so busy we didn t really have stress, just high workload, but for her it was not fun.

Brussels was brilliant, not only on the radio, but also on the ground. Fire trucks, ambulance all at the treshold.

When the gear held i rolled to the first taxiway and tried to taxi on one engine (Seneca IV) , and that was even harder than the landing!

When I had parked on the GA apron there was already an engineer present and the customs man immediately offered my girlfriend a cup of coffee.

It was a fantastic experience. All involved were brilliant. Just a shame Brussels doesn t sell avgas anymore.......

Blues&twos
26th Nov 2008, 20:15
Exactly! It was a textbook landing.

Of course, we haven't seen any of this guy's other landings.....maybe they're all like this, nosegear failure or not......
:E