PDA

View Full Version : Flying into Disneyworld Florida

Fright Level
26th Nov 2008, 08:42
I'm planning a trip to Florida next month and plan to fly the kids up to Disneyworld (we're staying in FLL). I'm surprised they don't operate their own airstrip at the park, they could easily justify a $30 landing fee for one.

Looking at the chart, my guess is to fly into Kissimmee and rent a car for the day through an FBO (KAZ were very helpful on the phone).

Has anyone done this? Any other ways to consider?

dont overfil
26th Nov 2008, 08:51
Disney are pretty anti aviation. Following a successful forced landing by a local Waco at their strip they got the willys and put a no fly zone round their complex.
Fly into Kissimmee Municipal. Disney is a 15 minute drive and there will be no landing fee.
DO.

SNS3Guppy
26th Nov 2008, 10:57
It's ironic. Only ten years ago I was putting loads of retardant alongside their complex during some very active wildfires in the area. Seems they didn't mind aviation when it suited them...then.

Take time to drive or fly to Polk City to see the fantasy of flight air museum, while you're in the area.

BRS_flyer
26th Nov 2008, 11:06
Kissimmee is a great choice and KAZ a very helpful FBO. More info on the airport can be found here AirNav: KISM - Kissimmee Gateway Airport (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KISM)

Enterprise operate a rental car deal with KAZ but there is also a full branch of Hertz located just next door at Signiture Flight support if you want to organize your own rental. Will be less than 20 mins to Disney anyway.

They did used to have their own landing strip at the park, I have seen it on an old chart. Guess they make more money out of the space for parking.

Keygrip
26th Nov 2008, 12:25
"Hello everybody. My name is Keygrip - and I'm a mouse-a-holic"

There is no "no fly" zone around the Mouse House. I go directly over it on a very regular basis.

There is a flight restriction around the Magic Kingdom - but it has very little effect on normal operations.

Curiously, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, World of Sports and Downtown Disney are all outside the area. Open airspace (Class G and E) to 6,000'

The Buena Vista aerodrome is clearly visible to those who know where it is, but is now used for storage, not revenue from parking. It would no longer be a viable option for an emergency landing. An East/West landing across the Northen edge of the Epcot car park has long been my back up plan for that area.

If the Mouse did have a runway, which *WAS* on the original plans - but for airline traffic as well - they would have to service it with transportation to the parks.

The original plan had an East/West runway at the location that is now Epcot - which *may* account for the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) being so far away from the original theme park gates (Magic Kingdom).

Back to the plot - KAZ and a rental car are certainly very viable optios. The Mouse will charge you $12 to park a standard car at his park for the day (this year).

A taxi from the airfield to Epcot or the TTC will cost *around* $30 each way - slightly less for Hollywood Studios, slightly more for Animal Kingdom.

There is also a bus service from Kissimmee that will drop you at the TTC - costs around $1.60 per person.

Another choice - call me and I'll go with you. I don't pay for parking and I love (but don't need) an excuse to visit the Mouse.

Oh! Stay overnight in a Disney hotel and theme park parking is free, btw.

david viewing
27th Nov 2008, 10:34
In 2005 Orlando center (I think) cleared me through the Disney restricted airspace "As low as I wanted" (I chose 3000') en route to landing at Kissimmee which was very hard to see from overhead Disney due to the Florida murk.

Service at Kissimmee was indeed very good and I got to unload under a big covered lobby thing that they have for important bizjet visitors. One tip - don't forget the name of the FBO you're going to after landing - the man in the tower seems to have a short fuse where Brits are concerned!

Fright Level
27th Nov 2008, 11:54
Thanks for all the tips. Looks like the KISM & KAZ Aviation is the right way to go with one of their rental cars.

Keygrip
27th Nov 2008, 12:10
David V. - it's not "controlled" airspace for VFR traffic. There is no *clearance* available.

It is "restricted" airspace, sure, but simple two way communications and a discreet squawk code are the only requirements - bit like entering class D or C airspace (but with a squawk).

The airspace is a three mile circle centred on the mouse house, from surface level to 3,000' agl.

Looking at the height of local obstructions I calculate the ground level to be, near as damn it, 100 feet amsl - so it tops out at 3,100 feet amsl.

No contact with Orlando ATC? Fly between 3,200' and 3,900' as far as Kissimmee "Old Town" (Skycoaster) and all is well. You're clear of all restrictions.

After passing overhead Epcot (the big ball, "Spaceship Earth" [sponsored by Sylvania, a Siemans company], a subte but deliberate descent to below 2,000 amsl to avoid class Bravo airspace.

Kissimmee class Delta airspace tops out at 1,600' but overflight, below (not "at") 2,000' is not regulated to VFR traffic.

Anybody seen Google earth - 28.27.08North, 81.42.09West?

Buena Vista Aerodrome, whilst you are in Google, is at 28.24.06N, 81.34.20W.

BackPacker
27th Nov 2008, 12:25
Orlando Flight Training is in the same building as Attractions Jet Center. At least, it was three years ago. It might actually be the same company.

It's a very basic FTO but if you just need fuel and a place to park your 172 (or something like that) for a day or so, they will probably do fine. Yes, they have an agreement with Enterprise as well, and can also arrange a taxi for you.

Oh, and the FBO with the canopy is Marathon. At least, it was, three years ago.

Keygrip
27th Nov 2008, 13:59
BP - "Attractions" is now "KAZ".

Marathon is now Signature.

BackPacker
27th Nov 2008, 14:54
OFT should update its website then... The photos still show Attractions on the building.

OFT flight training school aviation academy, Florida (http://www.flyoft.com/OFT_facilities.php)

I love it though that KAZ called Attractions an undiscovered diamond. I hung out in the facility for three weeks and it was adequate, but hardly sparkling.

Kaz buys Attractions Jet Center: AINonline (http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/kaz-buys-attractions-jet-center/)