PDA

View Full Version : 1st Twin engine type rating, but on what aircraft?

Pilot.Pete
26th Nov 2008, 05:30
I passed my CPL/IR(H) on the Jet Ranger, a short while back and I am trying to find some work.
I know about the oil rigs but most of them are not interviewing at the moment (I know there are some that are but I only have 280 hours)

I’ve been told that I stand a better chance of getting some work if I get a type rating on a twin engine. All though this is a big cost it could also be a good investment in my future career, I’ve only got enough left on the CC to do one type rating.

So the question is what aircraft?
What is the most common?
What is most in demand?
What am I likely to get the most work from if I get it?
Am I really likely to get any work with 5 or so hours on type?

Peter

VeeAny
26th Nov 2008, 05:41
Pete

The twin squirrel is probably the most common twin around in the UK with several VFR machines on AOCs.

There is almost no demand at the moment, when there was a demand it always seemed to be AS355, A109, S76 (so I noticed anyway). These are also the type most commonly operated by twin AOCs.

The squirrel will most likely bring you most work, but you are unlikely to get any with 280hrs and a type rating (doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but is not the norm).

EC135s and 902s are popular police machines but you won't get in one sub about 1500hrs.

You need to do 8 hours for your first twin and a test, so budget for nine along with test fees and type rating issue fees [which are twice as expensive now you have a CPL((H)].

Having a cheaper twin on your licence does make the conversion to the next one less onerous with only 5 hours (I seem to remember but haven't looked up) to complete on that, which does make you cheaper to employ for an operator as a co-pilot I suppose.

Just my thoughts

Gary

Spunk
26th Nov 2008, 07:09
Well, I know, this might not be the right answer to your question but...
NEVER EVER PAY FOR A TYPE RATING YOURSELF. If some company wants to employ you they will pay for it. If I was you and if had some money to spend than go out, rent a cheap piston (or even the JetRanger you've got a type rating for), built some hours and enjoy it.

Just my two cents...

HillerBee
26th Nov 2008, 07:27
Don't use very expensive CC money! You won't get a job with a type-rating only. What you need is hours, so you might consider finding a cheap machine to build hours on, but in the current climate I wouldn't do that either, just stay current. There is no market for low-time pilots at the moment.

powerstall
26th Nov 2008, 08:51
I agree, don't ever pay for your type rating. Continue flying and rack up on those hours.... get yourself noticed with your time, then apply. Big companies will lovingly sponsor your type rating for those big twins, accompanied by a lengthy contract.... just what happened to me a few years back.. got a free MBB BO105 type rating. :ok:

Cheers! :)

thwock
26th Nov 2008, 10:24
Gary's correct 8 hours plus test. 7.5 k is cheapest you'll find for a Twin Squirrel conversion which is probably the obvious step from 206.
Very little work around during the winter, daylight, weather and the economy.

March/April time you may find a company who will sponsor you. ie you pay for the rating and then they will pay you a reduced rate untill the debt has been payed off.

Unfortunately most will still look for 500 hrs commercial turbine before letting you loose.

Stick with 206, look for pleasure flying/tours next summer. Or perhaps a EC120 or R44 rating, seem to be more of those around, 3/5 Hr conversion on cheaper machine

Good Luck

chcoffshore
26th Nov 2008, 11:05
Pete,

Don't worry about a rating just find a job first and start earning........You have a IR so not all the doors will be closed.

Pilot.Pete
27th Nov 2008, 08:17
OK thanks for your input guys, the general consensus is, to scrap the twin conversion idea.
Mr Barclaycard lives to see another day

:ok:

Capt.Gonzo
27th Nov 2008, 10:56
Hi,
I also think that a few hours more on your account are more important then the Type Rating.
But if you are looking for a cheap twin, take a closer look at the Bo-105.
With a few hours more and your IR everything should work out verry well for you :ok:

Helinut
27th Nov 2008, 16:19
Can you do an IR on a Bo-105? I thought not..................

serf
27th Nov 2008, 18:20
European Helicopter Center AS