PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to switch?

baw238
26th Nov 2008, 00:24
hi,

quick bit of advice needed really, have spent 4 years working in ATC in the UK and and have come to the conclusion that aircrew is more for me . Originally i wanted to be a pilot as a teenager but thought ATC would give me more stability etc. I have my PPL and due the current economic climate i realise its not the best time but am thinking more in 2-3 yrs time.......this will give me time to get to F ATPL standard and instruct in the meantime. The one factor is that i am 30 this year :D - does this go against me alot or would the ATC background make up for it?

any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Nashers
26th Nov 2008, 01:10
hi baw238. sent u a PM

ElitePilot
26th Nov 2008, 02:31
I don't think being 30 is a huge factor.
Your background will give you a solid foundation and industry background and when it comes to interview and selling yourself you can use experience to you're advantage.

However if you are going to make the switch better to start sooner than later (obviously current climate considerations need to be made -no doubt to turn around soon).
I think another important factor is to be flexible and not picky about where your first airline is, beggers can't be choosers and all.

Another bit of advice is not to overcommit yourself financially, always have a backup plan to keep the pennies coming in and pay the bills till you can make the switch.

Good luck.

agent.oen
26th Nov 2008, 04:42
I know someone who is on sponsored training and he is 30yrs old...

AO

CAT3C AUTOLAND
26th Nov 2008, 07:18
BAW,

If it helps you in your decision making, I was 33 when I got my first jet job, and I know a fair few guys that got their first jobs between the ages of 30 and 40.

One advantage you have, and I suppose it depends on your own circumstances, but you have an established career, and it is something you have on the back burner, should it take you a while to get your first flying job.

I also think your wealth of ATC experience will be a great asset to you.

All the best with what you decide.

ford cortina
26th Nov 2008, 07:29
Started at 33 and got my first Jet job at 38, went modular:cool:

baw238
26th Nov 2008, 09:21
cheers for the quick replies, :ok:

i really thought my age would hold me back, :)
right time to hit the books again lol! i wont ask the question regarding modular vs sponsorship but is a time frame of 2/3 years realistic to get upto scratch in order to be available for interviews etc.

also what would you recommend as a budget per month to be realistic i know everyone is different it is just to get a rough idea, will have to tell the girlfriend no more italians on a friday night lol!!!!!

Sudan19
26th Nov 2008, 10:04
i've done my ATPL last year and in the class there was a 42 year old man.. So age is not really a problem.

If you are going Modular, Then 2-3 years sounds about right (if the money is ready).

Nashers
26th Nov 2008, 14:34
i went modular full time and took 19 months from ppl to MCC and that included 3 months in total of sitting on the ground due to crap wx.

cost can differ between places you go. i spent 60k on more or less minimum hours. thats an all in price which includes equipment, fuel surcharge, flight tests, transport and accomodation.

Permafrost_ATPL
26th Nov 2008, 22:16
34y.o. when starting Modular full time. 60k all included and 15 months to MCC. Four months dispatching while I sent CVs. Then 737NG :ok:

I'd say wait 18 months and go for it. Timing is so crucial...

Cheers

P

baw238
27th Nov 2008, 07:52
sounds good but how do you get your hands on that type of cash in one lump sum (training development loan?)

Surely you can pay bit by bit or does this work out more expensive.
Whats peoples experience of going abroad, any recommended CAA affiliated sites.....

Will do some hunting on the forum!

Permafrost_ATPL
27th Nov 2008, 21:50
I had saved 30k while working over the years and took a loan for 30k. Mind you this was before the credit crunch. And I have a house so the bank felt comfortable.

You don't need all that as lump sum since some of that 60k includes accommodation, food, travel, tests, etc That was spread over the 18 months. And with modular you should be able to pay module by module, although schools like OAT give you a discount for paying for e.g CPL/IR at the same time.

Unless you get your MCC at the right time, you are very unlikely to walk into a jet as your first job. Modular means, most of the time, doing stuff like aero-tows, para-drops, photographic surveys, bush flying in Africa, etc to build hours. Or instructing if you can find another 6k. You can also get jobs with outfits like Eastern, but it's going to be down to serious networking and things like working for peanuts in their ops departments for a few months. I'm just saying this because you should be aware that repaying the loan will be challenging until you get a job on at least turboprop.

OR... you can take a HUGE risk and borrow even more money to buy your type rating... Too risky unless there is a guaranteed job at the end, if you ask me.

Cheers

P

corsair
27th Nov 2008, 21:57
I'd say go for it now. Even if the pilot job doesn't come up immediately after you finish, you can fall back on your ATC experience. This will keep you in aviation and in touch. As long as you stay current you will get flying eventually.

tdk90
30th Nov 2008, 16:21
Well, I was in a similar position to you, I was an RAF ATCO who left at age 30 to start flying. I'm now in the left seat of a regional jet in the USA. I was lucky enough to have an "in" regarding immigration so I had that going for me. 30 is definitely not too late, your ATC knowledge is valuable up to a point. My advice would be to be careful how you spend your money, I bought a PC sim that saved me a bunch of cash during the IR. PM me if you want. Good luck!