PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of an unwanted cherokee

Justiciar
25th Nov 2008, 11:10
A group I know of has a PA28 140 which everyone has fallen out of love with :sad: The thing keeps incuring hangerage and insurance. It is very high hours on the airframe (16,000+) and about half life on the engine. In this market and with regulatory costs as they are the bottom has fallen out of the market for this type of aircraft. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to dispose of this white elephant? Are there companies or individuals who will take this liability, even if they pay next to nothing?

Fright Level
25th Nov 2008, 11:33
Are there companies or individuals who will take this liability, even if they pay next to nothing?

Advertise it in Pilot/Flyer etc for £5k and I expect you'll find a buyer provided it's still airworthy. As soon as the CofA expires, expect it to gather moss in the corner of an airfield somewhere.

Cricket23
25th Nov 2008, 11:36
Put it on eBay

Say again s l o w l y
25th Nov 2008, 11:43
There are probably some hours builders somewhere who'd take it if it was cheap enough.

Other than that I can't think of anyone who'd want it, unless they really knew stuff all about aircraft.

Justiciar
25th Nov 2008, 11:49
Other than that I can't think of anyone who'd want it, unless they really knew stuff all about aircraft.

Yes, that is the problem.:(

ericferret
25th Nov 2008, 11:52
You could try to sell the engine and prop on into the homebuild market if they are in good condition. The rest might make a nice chicken shed!!!!!!!!!!!

jxc
25th Nov 2008, 12:41
I would be interested in renting it cheap if its any help and i am sure others would be to ?

Cheers
JXC

Pace
25th Nov 2008, 13:06
your other option would be to sell off the shares rather than the whole aircraft so slowly eliminating the existing group and replacing it with another group.

Pace

rats404
25th Nov 2008, 13:34
Now on AFORS (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=11096&imid=0) for £8k

MadamBreakneck
25th Nov 2008, 17:22
The rest might make a nice chicken shed!!!!!!!!!!! The rest, or at least part of it, might sell on a flight simulation hobby forum.
You'd be surprised what some of these guys do nowadays.
MB

Keygrip
25th Nov 2008, 17:45
There are some flight schools I know that could do with it - to upgrade their current fleet.

Monocock
25th Nov 2008, 19:21
I'll give you £3k for it, seriously

P.S If it's a "friend of yours" who is selling, why is your user name here the same as the website name for the pictures link on afors? :rolleyes:

Contacttower
25th Nov 2008, 19:55
In the pictures it doesn't look too bad actually...interior is in much better condition than many flying club planes I've seen. Is there any theoretical life in terms of hours for the airframe?

Justiciar
25th Nov 2008, 20:32
friend of yours"

I think I said "group I know" - I happen to be a member of said group (one of 10). The aircraft has been up for sale on and off for some time but with no takers, hence the thread. Next question :confused:

It is not in bad condition inside, but it is 40 years old and you can fly a new (ish) LAA aircraft at a fraction of the cost (as I now do) :\

IO540
25th Nov 2008, 20:37
The engine ought to have a core value, for the exchange engine market. Presumably it is a common engine type.

A different approach is to break it up and sell the good airframe bits on Ebay. People who have done that with cars have reportedly done very well. Airframe parts are very pricey. You would need a CAA LAME to generate some paperwork for each part, and last time I looked into this kind of thing I was told (cannot vouch for the accuracy of this statement) that the donor plane needs to have a valid CofA at the time the part is removed. Might be easier to sell on U.S. Ebay - an A&P(/IA maybe) is AFAIK allowed to inspect a part and install it, which is exactly what the most gold plated EASA145 firm is going to do with it, anyway... I've successfully sold various parts on U.S. Ebay.

modelman
25th Nov 2008, 22:18
I believe John Wayne used to be rather good at this sort of thing

jaycee58
26th Nov 2008, 14:27
What a bummer! I was hoping to buy a share in this plane in the next few weeks but, having just spoken to a group member it looks like the group could well be disbanding, though it's not 100% certain by any means. Having had my licence for all of 3 weeks this would have been a lovely plane for me to fly (been up as a passenger and was quite impressed) so reading this thread is something of a disappointment, to put it mildly. Now it looks like I'll have to rent a 172 at £135 an hour.

With the low cost of the shares and the number of new pilots at Beccles I'm amazed that people haven't been falling over themselves to get a share in this plane.

I'm working in India at the moment so there's not a lot I can do except hope things change in the 6 weeks before I come home again.

vanHorck
26th Nov 2008, 14:35
sounds to me that for GBP 3001 you might own all the shares!

Just be cautious about the C of A next year!

Squeegee Longtail
26th Nov 2008, 19:19
...Holy sh*t. Can't see many modern types getting to that (Cirrus, Diamond etc). The old girl deserves to be put out to pasture (or maybe buried under one).

NutLoose
26th Nov 2008, 23:57
Squeegee Longtail16,000+ hrs A/F?
...Holy sh*t. Can't see many modern types getting to that (Cirrus, Diamond etc). The old girl deserves to be put out to pasture (or maybe buried under one).

Dpn't let hours put you off to much, if it has been maintained well its not a problem..... I have seen low houred dogs that have sat outside for their lives in long grass and have simply rotted away....... better something flying and getting air through it.

FC1
1st Dec 2008, 15:17
Sell off what you can in the way of spares (engine, prop etc) and then if you are stuck with just the airframe why not consider donating it to your aerodrome fire service.

LowNSlow
4th Dec 2008, 09:40
Justiciar has the bird been sold yet?

Justiciar
4th Dec 2008, 10:45
Yes, looks like its sold, though you never know until the money is in the bank!

J.A.F.O.
4th Dec 2008, 10:51
Do you know whether it's going to be staying in the area and whether it will be sole owner or group because I might be looking for cheap shares in something in that area in the New Year?

Or anyone else nearby with stupidly cheap shares?

LowNSlow
4th Dec 2008, 14:56
Looks like you had a relatively easy sale then!

J.A.F.O.
11th Dec 2008, 20:40
I think you'll find Apaches are a different airfield in Suffolk.

Human Factor
11th Dec 2008, 21:07
I think you'll find Apaches are a different airfield in Suffolk.

... and a little more expensive.:}

J.A.F.O.
14th Feb 2009, 01:20
Did it sell?

Shunter
14th Feb 2009, 07:25
I was chatting to an instructor recently who ferried it to its new home, so one would presume yes.

aseanaero
14th Feb 2009, 12:19
Take out the engine and prop and other goodies and give the hulk to a local kindergarten

goatface
14th Feb 2009, 13:32
It would rely upon exceptional generosity, but would you consider donating it to a charitable flying organisation, a local UAS or similar not for profit outfit?

Clearly they'd be unlikely to be able to fly it, but they might be able to get some valuable instructional use out of it, a sort of flying clasroom on the ground (for want of a better explanation).