PDA

View Full Version : Cut The Bellwire To Up Your Adsl Speed.

TURIN
24th Nov 2008, 23:07
Was sent a link about an hour ago.
Bellwire and Broadband (http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/broadbandspeed.html#type6)
No idea if it works as I haven't tried it yet.

Apologies if it's been posted before, I did a search but nothing apparent.

Anyone tried it? Does it work?

Ta. :ok:

Keef
25th Nov 2008, 00:57
An interesting theory. Normally, the bell wire is in a twisted pair, and twisted round the other twisted paid in the cable - the signal pair. There shouldn't be that much RF pickup in that arrangement.

If I were going to bother, my inclination would be simply to disconnect the bell wire, since most instruments these days do their own thing off the primary pair anyway. But I've not tried it.

frostbite
25th Nov 2008, 11:51
Read about this some time ago, looked inside the master socket and discovered it's not connected anyway!

Blues&twos
27th Nov 2008, 20:27
And you haven't had any calls for months, right?

jetsetjobbie
27th Nov 2008, 20:44
I did it about a year ago and doubled my (somewhat slow) broadband speed.

BT say my line supports 256k to 512k, however I get just below 2m (out in the country you know).

As long as you have a micro filter on each extension, you do not require a bell wire because the filter has the capacitor required to generate the ringing signal (previously only in the main BT line box).

Many other countries use only a pair of wires but the legacy Post Office system and 'steam powered' telephones in the UK required the use of a bell wire.

Give it a go, what have you got to loose. Just remember to disconnect the bell wire at both ends, i.e. the line box and the extension box.

JsJ.

V800
28th Nov 2008, 08:27
I did it in my old house and went from about 4 meg to just under 5 meg.

ORAC
28th Nov 2008, 10:14
Improving ADSL Max Speed (http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/adslmax/)

Saab Dastard
28th Nov 2008, 15:03
It's an old one but:

"I upped my broadband speed. Up yours"

;)

SD

helimutt
29th Nov 2008, 07:06
Along with the above, I suggest you collar a BT engineer and ask him for a primary wall socket with built in filter. No need to fit any filters on any of the other sockets. Also, if you're with BT and recently had broadband from them, and you live a distance from the exchange, check they haven't capped you at 512. They restrict it without you knowing. The engineer check will find this or phone and ask, and only the engineer coming out to your property seems to be the way to get the muppets to remove it. I wasn't even aware it was capped at 512. Anyway, once they cleared this cap, I got up to 5M initially but now run somewhere around the 4Mb mark. A big improvement. BT are sh*t!!! Their customer service is appaling. They treat you like dirt. Indian call entre is a joke. Same script, different day. As I say, broadband problems, get te engineer out, it saves so much hassle in the long run.

Keef
29th Nov 2008, 11:17
As I say, broadband problems, get te engineer out, it saves so much hassle in the long run.
Costs a fair bit, though. Isn't the call-out charge now £80?

Not that I know for sure - I don't call out the BT bloke. I've never had my lines capped like that - they go slower, and faster, depending on the weather. The new modem settled down at the new higher speed within a week or so.

mixture
30th Nov 2008, 14:27
Anyone tried it? Does it work?

Why bother.

Broadband is a consumer quality service that is contended and has practically no guarantees in terms of speed you are likely to get (or anything else for that matter).

I just don't understand people who spend money on expensive filters, gold plated cables or whatever.....

For most people it's just a placebo effect, with only one or two exceptions (e.g. people in desperate situations who would normally be considered as being too far from their exchange).

Out Of Trim
1st Dec 2008, 12:48
I disconnected the two unnecessary wires rather than cut them!

It made only a very slight difference to my connection speed. However, my brother saw an immediate improvement of around 1.5mb per sec.

So it may help some people, depending on how noisy their BT wiring is.

BOAC
1st Dec 2008, 20:01
£10.90 on Ebay delivered. NB You need a BT NTE5 master socket (http://www.buzzhost.co.uk/nte5.php) for it to work. 'Duplicates' the bell-wire removal as ST says, so a screwdriver is cheaper.

Cornish Jack
8th Dec 2008, 11:07
Also bought an Iplate and fitted it.
Pre Iplate, download speed was checked at 1.4 max going down to .7 at times. Post Iplate, download speeds checked at or about 1.9, so, something like a 33% increase. Subjectively, it doesn't seem any faster and I still have the constant dropouts,freezes etc. but it would seem to have some sort of improvement effect. Would that one could fit a similar adaptor to Orange and their awful 'service'.:mad: