PDA

View Full Version : More time to sleep!

clear prop!!!
24th Nov 2008, 13:36
All these years and I never knew we were supposed to be sleeping!!...

Just been reading the log of the intrepid teenage round the World yachtsman to find...
The auto-pilot is vital for solo sailors, as it allows the skipper to sleep in small stretches while the boat effectively sails itself, much like an auto-pilot in a commercial aircraft.

So, for all of you who find a multiple choice in your ATPL's asking, 'what is the purpose of an auto-pilot'. The correct answer is...'so that the pilot can have a sleep!' :)

DaveD
24th Nov 2008, 14:10
I know they won't choose to admit it, but some pilots probably do have abit of a kip whilst AP is on.. obviously not both of them

Aerospace101
24th Nov 2008, 14:41
i thought that 'power naps' of ~30min during the crz were encouraged by the FAA. Increases state of awareness for aprch phase

potkettleblack
25th Nov 2008, 08:42
Controlled rest is what its called. Various rules to be followed, obviously only 1 person can take it at a time (2 crew operation) and senior needs to be advised. Rest must be complete before you start down at top of descent. All outlined in the airlines OPS manual. No big drama and it seems to work quite well.

Keygrip
25th Nov 2008, 12:33
I travelled on a Virgin Atlantic Miami to Gatwick a couple of years ago.

Old asge couple board, sit next to me - woman sees me reading the emergency card and calculating the seat rows to the doors. Says "Oh, you're like me, eh, don't like flying?".

Conversation ensued during which she admitted flying terrified her - I asked for reasons.

First response was "This is a long overnight flight - what happens if the pilots fall asleep?".

"I hope they do", says I, "I want them to be fresh and alert as we approach the airport in the morning and touch the ground at 180 miles an hour. They are not flying the aeroplane anyway, the computers are".

She sat back, thought for a while and then happily agreed. By the time she arrived at Gatwick *most* of her fears were calmed - just through conversation.