PDA

View Full Version : Stop Date updating itself in old Word Docs.

Sikpupi
24th Nov 2008, 12:18
Hi

I use the Word short-cut icon 'Insert Date' when I create a new letter. I DO NOT TICK the update automatically box within the shortcut.

The problem is ...if I want to pull up this letter in say 6 months time and re-print it - the letter opens with the current date rather than the original date of writing. Therefore - I have no real proof that this letter was written 6 months ago unless I kept a hard-copy!

I particularly find this annoying when dealing with contract letters. So lately I have been using the basic version of a date by manually typing in 23/11/2008 rather than the fancy Sunday, 23rd November 2008 as the former stays constant.

Any cures for me?????

Regards

Saab Dastard
24th Nov 2008, 15:48
The only way it can be updating automatically is if it is a Field, rather than plain text.

It is quite possible that there is a bug with the version of Word you are using, so that it ignores the setting in the "update automatically" box within the shortcut.

You can check it quite easily by highlighting the block of text and checking if you can right click and see Toggle Fields etc. in the drop-down list.

I have Word 2002 and the default is Unchecked from the Menubar - Insert - Date & Time menu, and it works correctly for me. At least it is plain text, not a field.

Other things to investigate might be Auto Complete and Smart Tags, if enabled.

SD

Keef
24th Nov 2008, 19:53
There are two ways of inserting the date in a Word doc. One way will always update to "now" when you open or print, the other will keep the date when you wrote the letter.

If you have the date in the template that opens the document, it will always be the "update to now" version. I don't know of any way round that, although there may be one.

I use the "proper date" function. Here (no extra charge!) is the macro in my copy of Word, that does that:

Sub MAIN()
'
' InsertProperDate.MAIN Macro
' Macro recorded 16/05/99 by Keef
'
Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="d MMMM, yyyy", InsertAsField:= _
False
End Sub
Add that, as a Macro, then create a button on your toolbar to call it, and use that to insert the date when typing.

There may well be an easier way, but that one has worked for me since 1999 so I've seen no reason to change it.

Sikpupi
25th Nov 2008, 10:35
Keef....

...not so good at Macros so excuse the stupid question!!!

BUT.. Do I have to name it MAIN??? Where do I starting recording from and to???

Thanks
Sikky

Keef
25th Nov 2008, 11:05
Use the Tools - Macro - "Record New Macro" function in Word, create one called "ProperDate" or whatever you fancy, and do some simple function that you don't need (File, Open, some document would do). Then close the Macro creator (click on the square in the little tool-thing).

Go into Tools - Macro - Macros and find the one you just created. Open it for editing. It will have the "top and tail" that you need. Replace the line that says something like
Documents.Open FileName:="myletter.doc",
- it may be a lot longer than that. Remove everything from that line (probably the next line will be "End Sub".

Replace that line with
Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="d MMMM, yyyy", InsertAsField:= _
False

Job done.

Test it to see it inserts the date.

Sikpupi
25th Nov 2008, 11:17
Keef.... YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!

Worked great....have used it on a document and will wait til tomorrow to open it and will see if it holds todays date on opening.

Many thanks....cool shortcut.

If i can be so bold and ask another favour.....how do I assign an icon to attach to my toolbar????

Regards again!!

Sikky

Keef
25th Nov 2008, 11:29
....how do I assign an icon to attach to my toolbar????

Piece of cake!

Open Word (you guessed that bit ;) )
Tools - Customise - Commands
Scroll down the left box to Macros and click on that.

Scroll down the right box till you find your new macro. It will have a long name - something like Normal.NewMacros.ProperDate

Drag and drop it onto the toolbar where you want it.
The whole pesky long name Normal.NewMacros.ProperDate will appear on the toolbar.
Right-click (or the "other click" if your mouse is left-handed) on the long name. The third line down in the window is headed "Name:"
Edit it to what you want. Mine says Date, but I'm not blessed with a vivid imagination.

Alternatively, assign an icon to it - use "Change Button Image" a bit further down that same "Name" window. Then (and only then) clear out the Name: field to blank.
If you blank the name before you assign a macro, and then hit a wrong key, the whole thing gets messy. Don't ask how I know.

Sikpupi
25th Nov 2008, 11:45
Again KEEF....you are THE MAN!!!

All up and running.......maybe you should contact Mr. Gates and see of you can sell him this add-on!!!

Thanks for all you help...Will mark the Thread solved.

REgards

Sikky

Keef
25th Nov 2008, 11:52
Nah, it's well-known stuff to those who use Word a lot.

I've got macros plus icons to print to the B&W Laser, or the colour inkjet, or WinFax.
I've got macros plus icons for a variety of headed notepapers (and my Sermon template).
I've got macros plus icons for the addresses and "Dear ... " for the people I write to a lot (mostly the Bank :( )
I've got a macro that puts my signature on stuff I'm going to fax.

The limit is your imagination!

The same tricks work in Excel, by the way.