PDA

View Full Version : ADF colour vision

Cirrusly
24th Nov 2008, 11:42
I was diagnosed with a colour deficiency when I applied for the defence force in high school some 8 years ago. I have since found out I have a problem with the green colour cone in my vision. I was granted a class 1 medical certificate from CASA and am allowed to fly in Australian airspace as a civilian pilot. I am curious if anyone knows if the ADF permits people with this MINOR discrepancy to apply for pilot jobs in any area of the ADF and if you can appeal their decision at all?

BentStick
24th Nov 2008, 20:20
CRG, I'm pretty sure you have the right of appeal to all medical decisions that affect your application.

mephisto88
25th Nov 2008, 05:44
I believe I may still have contact details of a an ADF approved eye testing opthalmologist. Let me know by PM if you want me to dig out the info.
Even if he is not in your area, he may be able to put you in touch with one of his colleagues near you, or you can just ask him verbally. At worst he may give you no info, but at best may be able to answer your question.
Good luck

mephisto88
2nd Dec 2008, 01:14
Inspector G and CharlieRomeoGolf - contact details have been sent to you via pm. Good luck in your endeavours.

jervisbay
18th Dec 2008, 08:32
CRG
You used to be able to get into the RAAF and ARA with CP2 colour perception 2. This meant you failed the Ishihara Colour Plate test but could pass the Farnsworth Lantern Test. The Farnsworth test is a series of red, green and white lights that are shone at the applicant and must be identified correctly.

The RAN requires CP1 because of the approach systems on their ships. As the Army now operate their Blackhawks from RAN ships there was a major push to get all the services to CP1. Not sure if they got there but there was often little sympathy from the medical branch for this condition - perhaps because they always had enough applicants who could pass the vision test.

The civilian rules were changed only after an Administrative Appeals Tribunal case found in the favour of the applicant. The defence force were not sympathetic to the ruling.

I wish you all the best - recruiting is usually very helpful in organising a colour vision test.

JB

Barry Hunter
9th Oct 2016, 12:36
Hey mate, I got categorised as CP3 and I really want to fly for the ADF. Can you please give me some information.