PDA

View Full Version : Selfish passengers

Mrs SLF
24th Nov 2008, 08:51
I have experienced many things on flights that make your blood boil but the last long-haul was the worst. The guy in front decided he wanted his seat reclined during take off but after a quick poke on the top of his head he soon put it back up. There was no time to call the cc, we were hurtling down the runway! Of course this wasn't the end of the matter, there was a stop-over on route so again he had his seat reclined. This time the cc saw and made him put it upright but the minute they were seated he did it again. I am just so pleased that this stupid, selfish individual was leaving the plane at this stop, complete with the smug little look on his face like he had 'won'.

Are there really still passengers out there that don't realise the risks of reclining during take-offs and landings. In the case of an emergency these people have ruined your chance of escape. :mad:

SNS3Guppy
24th Nov 2008, 09:38
Mrs. SLF,

It's unfortunate when others on a flight think of themselves. With respect to the ability to egress, it's true that getting out of your aisle isn't as easy with the seat reclined back. However, it won't prevent your escape. Seatbacks upright is established in part for ease of egress (getting out), but the primary reason is that the impact resistance and survivability of the seat are premised on it's being locked upright...it's a design and certification issue.

The seat angle is part of the design when considering the ability of the occupant to withstand impact forces, both forward, and vertical, as well as the ability of the seat to withstand those forces and therefore protect the occupant.

Additionally, your own clearance from the seat in front of you is part of the overall design. Having the forward seat leaning toward you reduces the distance between your seat and his, and doesn't give you the same bearing surface upon which to assume a crash position should that become necessary.

The passenger ahead of you was in the wrong. Clearly.

Not long ago I was returning from a three week tour, riding home on a paid ticket on another carrier. across the aisle sat a gentleman who couldn't get off his cell phone. The flight attendant told him several times to shut it off, and he'd wait until she was away and gone, then go back to talking. As we entered the area at our destination, he again produced the phone, and this time it began ringing. I was in uniform, and I leaned across the aisle and told him to put it away. He did, grudgingly, but a couple of moments later it began to ring again. I again told me to lose the phone, this time less politely. The third time it happened I informed him he was about to lose the phone. It didn't ring again, and by that time everyone around was glaring at him. The flight attendant at the end of the cabin was smiling.

WHBM
25th Nov 2008, 12:43
IAre there really still passengers out there that don't realise the risks of reclining during take-offs and landings. In the case of an emergency these people have ruined your chance of escape.
Not at all. If the passenger in front of you is reclined during a sudden emergency, such as a runway overrun on arrival, it makes it easier for you to use the seatback, and his head, as a springboard as you move rapidly across the seat rows towards the exit ahead of the advancing flames.

Frankly Mr Shankly
25th Nov 2008, 15:01
Just wedge your knee into the back of his seat, then bounce your knee up and down alot, works a treat, they soon get :mad: off with it :}

Immature I know but it's a last resort thing.

Final 3 Greens
25th Nov 2008, 15:24
Mrs SLF

Are there really still passengers out there that don't realise the risks of reclining during take-offs and landings. In the case of an emergency these people have ruined your chance of escape.

What a rotten experience.

I hope the laws of probability ensure that this is your only experience of this behaviour.

Mrs SLF
26th Nov 2008, 16:29
Final

No, it happens all the time. People next to me with their phones on, footrests up during take-offs and landings. Out of the last twenty flights the only time everything was as it should be (in an ideal world) was on a BA flight. The CC were having none of it - it was very comforting to see the control they had over the passengers that mis-behaved. It's a shame that most of the M.E. airlines appear to have no control at all. The crew just will not stand up to the locals!

I don't want to turn into a grumpy old bag - I just want to relax and feel safe on a flight. I wish I could just ignore these people but there's more and more of them breaking the rules on every flight.

FWOF
27th Nov 2008, 10:26
I had the same experience with the most arrogant of men on Monday, who had his clearly down trodden wife trailing along with him. Not only did he blatantly just push to the front of the queue when the flight was called, in full view of the gate staff who just smiled and took ehis ticket, he then fell into his seat and reclined it before we took off. Totally ignored the request to put it upright, and then hung his arm over the back of the headrest, in my face, for most of the flight.

I guess when you're going on holiday you out up with this kind of thing as it's a once or twice a year event. When you fly every week it does become tedious, and pushing and shoving becomes part of what you have to do. I hate it. If I stand in line, I get pushed all over. If I wait until the end then there is no way that there is anywhere to put my cabin luggage, as the lockers are full of oversized baggage, coats and duty free.

It's a posting I've made before, about rude PAX, but it'll take more than one or two of us to stand our ground. In some cultures, as it's been described on here, it's perfectly normal to push and shove and walk all over people.

I'm finding a few glasses of wine before each flight is helping!!

So if anyone goes through Budapest on a Thursday afternoon, see you in the lounge!

Final 3 Greens
27th Nov 2008, 10:36
Not only did he blatantly just push to the front of the queue when the flight was called

Did he speak with a brummie accent by any chance? I had the same experience a week or two ago, but have to admit I simply walked around him and his missus and maintained my place in the sequence, for which I got a mouthful from him.

Sadly, no one else did the same and the gate personnel ignored his behaviour, so no doubt he felt outraged all the way home that someone would react in such a way.

So if anyone goes through Budapest on a Thursday afternoon, see you in the lounge!

I'll be transiting Paris-London-Malta, but will raise a glass to you all the same :}

FWOF
27th Nov 2008, 11:17
Not a brummie ... he was ... European... :hmm: Basil Fawlty had an episode with the same type :ok:

BelArgUSA
30th Nov 2008, 17:04
Dear Mrs SLF...
xxx
I realize that a passenger reclining his seat in front of you takes a lot of (your) space.
No doubt he fails to observe the airline's takeoff/landing seat recline policies.
As WHBM mentions it, in case of evacuation, your fastest way to exit is on top of seats (and his head).
Not the aisle, full of idiots in stampede, trying to escape with carry-on baggage.
xxx
Be sure to crush his nose as you get by on top of his bald head.
Or poke the high heels of your pumps into his left eye.
If you have a son who is into soccer, sit him behind him, to practice penalty kicks.
Or maybe you are yourself in Manchester United or Arsenal's women team.
As he gets away to the toilets, get up and accidentally spill your tea on his seat.
Coca Cola even better - Very sticky substance for his fat derrière to taste.
Maybe he will be relocated to a non-reclining "dry" seat forward of the overwing exit row.
xxx
:E
Happy contrails

Romeo India Xray
30th Nov 2008, 17:29
Be sure to crush his nose as you get by on top of his bald head.
Or poke the high heels of your pumps into his left eye.

Superb!!! :D

When uniformed as positioning SLF I get great pleasure in telling off, sorry I mean "make safety suggestions" to the relatively few idiots I have encountered. The best was the guy who told me that I was not crew on THIS flight, so what the F$*k was I going to do about it...

I replied that I am rated on this kind of aircraft, work for the authority, and it is highly likely that the Captain will listen to me when I suggest to him that you are being unruly, unco-operative, and a threat to safety and as such should be removed. Oh yes, and it will be you who will likely be billed for any delays which result - which ... by the way ... will probably run into tens of thousands ..... I suggest you listen to the CC"

Few mumblings to equally red-neck woman sat alongside him, but total co-operation with CC after that :}

RIX