PDA

View Full Version : Formation Training - Partner Wanted

goneflyin
24th Nov 2008, 04:14
I am hoping to do some basic formation training at Ultimate High Kemble between Dec 2008 and March 2009 - maybe not the best time of the year but I want to do my Formation DA before next season ...

The Basic Formation course is £1100 plus fuel surcharge on the Bulldog, one problem is that - I need someone to formate on! Is there anyone out there who is planning to do/is thinking about doing this course before next March?

Any feedback from anyone who has done the Basic Formation course at UH?

Anyone suggest any other options in the UK?

JamesTigris
24th Nov 2008, 18:15
I'm in that area of the country and keen to do some training with Ultimate High. I've not done their Advanced PPL yet so would not be able to do the Formation Course, but I'd definitely be eager to hear anyone else's feedback.

Including how they managed to afford it!

-JT

strake
24th Nov 2008, 18:26
I'd love to do this as I'm looking for something else to challenge me in flying. In reality however, it would probably be April/May 09 before I finish my current project and could devote the time to doing it properly. I think I would definitely have to use the Bulldog rather than the Extra..my tailwheel conversion on Cub's was halted because my instructor at Clacton hurt her sides laughing so much...
She said I was the only student she had taught whose aim appeared to be to takeoff tail first...

18greens
24th Nov 2008, 20:28
Feedback? Do it, its a great course it'll put the fear and adrenaline back into flying for you and you won't beleive how tiring and exciting is.

UH is probably one of the best places in the country to do it.

And you don't need to have done the APPL before you do the Formation course.

And don't try formation without it.

And you will be amazed once you have done the course that being formation leader is way harder then being the wingman.

Do it and enjoy.

And Gonflyin, how come you registered 7 years ago and this is your first post?

eharding
24th Nov 2008, 21:00
FORMATION FLYING COURSES (http://www.huttonaviation.com/formationflyingc.html)

Traditionally Yak-52s and Extra 300s, but as the page suggests other types may be considered. A fantastic experience.

Human Factor
25th Nov 2008, 10:37
One of the Yak Formation School regulars made a small movie HERE (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9LBQbZJnK0o). In seventeen years of holding a flying licence (PPL through to ATPL and jet command), this is by far the best week of flying I have done, largely because of the high standard of instruction (most are ex-CFS) and the enthusiasm (and the curry and beer).:cool:

I have no doubt the training at UH will be of a similar high standard, mainly due to the fact that their instructors have been known to take part at NW on occasion.;)

And Gonflyin, how come you registered 7 years ago and this is your first post?

Probably went flying..... :}

Southern Cross
25th Nov 2008, 10:53
There is also a regular monthly formation flying day held in RV's at North Weald. On the off chance that you have one of these or access thereto... Similar instructor line up to the bi-annual formation week flown in 52's, 300's or anything other type that you can rustle up more than one of...

I'm not sure of the next RV date but I think it is the first weekend in December.

As someone who's introduction to formation flying via the North Weald weeks led to regular formation display flying, I can whole-heatedly endorse the quality and enjoyment of those weeks. Its worth waiting for and you can work up a DA, even for simple formation fly-pasts, via those courses.

SC.

goneflyin
12th Dec 2008, 15:04
Thanks for the gen

As mentioned - been busy flying since 2001!

goneflyin
12th Dec 2008, 15:11
Hi Strake

I recall my instructor asking me a long time ago if I had got my PPL from Kellogs ...

Don't seem to be able to send you a private message but would like to make contact to see if we can set something up at UH - can you email me?