PDA

View Full Version : Where Next?

Sierra Hotel
23rd Nov 2008, 16:15
Hi all,

I recently completed my PPL this summer, and am wondering what the best thing to do next with it would be. I am torn between joining tthe RAF and the Fleet Air Arm, seeing both positives and negatives of both.

Would it be benefitial to my experience to start working towards the IMC rating, or suchlike, before joining the forces, or would it be better just to build some hours?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
S

Timelord
23rd Nov 2008, 16:24
Save your money or fly for fun. The military will not be the least bit interested in any civil hours or ratings you have accumulated.

spheroid
23rd Nov 2008, 16:27
Very true.

It wouldn't matter if you had a CPL with 5000 hours or if you had never seen an aircraft in your life. Everyone starts at the bottom (some stay there).... Nope, save your money.

As for the FAA or the Crabs....... If you want to fly....join the crabs...

..If you want to have fun..... Join the FAA....

Sierra Hotel
23rd Nov 2008, 16:35
'..If you want to have fun..... Join the FAA....'
Would you care to elaborate?

retrosgone
23rd Nov 2008, 16:35
Whether or not you have previous flying experience is almost irrelevant when you come to apply to the military - except that it may demonstrate your keenness to fly.

What matters is that you are keen to be a part of the UKs defence forces, that you have an understanding of the duties and responsibilities of an officer and that you know what you might be getting yourself into. In other words; do your homework!

Competition for pilot places is very fierce indeed, and you will should not expect to be welcomed with open arms just because you volunteer. You will have to convince a seasoned bunch of people that you are what they are looking for, and you can only do that by putting in the effort and - most importantly - being yourself.

There are heaps of hurdles, but if you get over them all then you will be starting out on an experience that will certainly change your life.

MightyGem
23rd Nov 2008, 21:32
SH, two of the "contestants" on the same aircrew selection as me had PPLs. They failed(I was especially pleased because of the way they scoffed at my gliding time). Don't assume that just because you can fly, you'll be accepted by the military.

Jackonicko
23rd Nov 2008, 22:09
Instrument rating. Utterly irrelevant, but having one will take away the unfamiliarity of IF, and training for one may sharpen up the accuracy of your flying.

And perhaps just mumble about having a PPL and a few hours GH if anyone asks.....

Chris Kebab
24th Nov 2008, 07:57
I recall "mumbling" about having a PPL when I started at Linton. Oh good says my creamy QFI as he ditched S&L1 and spent the next 45 minutes teaching me his Wright Jubilee sequence.

So it can have its benefits!