PDA

View Full Version : Ethiopian Airlines Info wanted

Geminite
23rd Nov 2008, 16:09
I am looking for any information I can find in re Ethiopian Airlines. Interview and training process are my immediate specific interests. I have flown Africa in an MD11 in my most recent job and am looking to continue the experience. I am dealing with Parc Aviation.

thank You,

tj

ugflyer
23rd Nov 2008, 19:33
Applied to Ethiopian a few months ago and they told me they were looking for typed 757/767 captains only. They seemed pretty adamant about that too. It seems like they have been burned before by foreighn pilots that got training and left shortly after for greener pastures. If you are not Ethiopian, they probably will not hire you into FO position as they seem to be keen on getting their nationals in those positions to gain experience and one day move to Capt. But then again, stranger things have happened. I say give them a try and see what happens. Good luck!

Geminite
24th Nov 2008, 11:30
Did you actually interview with them? Where? How? What did it all consist of? I've got the type, training, and experience; what I need is a job until things recover.

tj

ugflyer
25th Nov 2008, 00:15
Well, if you have teh type and time....I can more or less say you have a JOB. Get in touch with them and you will be set. Get in touch with Captain Tesfaye at [email protected] he is the vp flight ops. Good luck and god speed

Geminite
26th Nov 2008, 23:40
Yeah, It seems I do in fact have the job, more or less. They're flying me into Addis Ababa for some face time, medical and sim check in their 767 sim. I hate going into an interview/sim cold knowing nothing about what they want to know or see from me. Does anybody have any knowledge of these things? What to review? prep?

It's a job flying their MD11, which they don't physcially have yet but are due to receive in January. A second one coming later in the year. I can do the job, no doubt of that but getting by American HR departments has always been a real trick, I know nothing about Ethiopian's functional equivalent.

Thanks,

tj

TCPILOT
3rd Dec 2008, 00:59
Geminite;

Would you like to share any info regarding your recent experience in attending the interview/assessment? Would be appreciated if any further info can be provided.

Did the place live upto your expectation?

Is it a safe place to be with your wife?

You can PM me if you like for any personal info. Im considering the B757/767 Captain position? open to comments and suggestions.

;)

Geminite
3rd Dec 2008, 21:49
I'll be there next week. Be happy to share my impressions with you after I return and what I see/experience. As far as I know now Addis Ababa is as civilized and safe as it gets in Africa though some other parts of Ethiopia seem to be pretty rough, I have no intention of going to those parts.

Rook1
6th Dec 2008, 17:15
Put a good word in for your ol classmate Rook!

Seems like I'm about a couple hundy hours short for the position. Good luck Buddy!

Geminite
13th Dec 2008, 13:42
Just got back from Addis. Very nice, The place far exceeded my expectations. Of course in comparison to other garden spots of Africa the baseline is rather low :-) but nevertheless Addis seemed much cleaner, safer, and cosmopolitan than I'd expected. I liked it and see no problems in going there for a 1-2 year contract.

Interview process itself was very low stress, Sim was very basic; they just wanted to see that you know how to fly. The medical was the most involved part; pretty thorough but was issued a first class and don't need to renew my US/FAA now while there. You know an interview is going well when the hardest questions are: "When can you start?" and "Do you know anybody?"

I don't see any problems with a wife there safety-wise anyway. I've talked to others that had a spouse and/or intended bring one. The only thing is that they intend to work you and you will be out on the road a lot. But Addis is nice for Africa. First impressions from a brief visit are positive.

tj

maples
10th Jan 2009, 19:38
Hi there,
I am an MD11 FO going for an interview tomorrow to ADD, I read your comments on it, looks allright.
Anything you might want to suggest regarding the selection process itself?
Thanks for any details

Ramjet744
22nd Dec 2009, 09:43
pay on low side