PDA

View Full Version : External Video Cameras

Graybeard
23rd Nov 2008, 14:54
Does anyone here have experience installing or using video cameras? Are there any optically correct aerodynamic housings available?

Thanks.

Max Angle
23rd Nov 2008, 15:20
Perhaps you should try the people who supply the cameras to the F1 racing teams. All the cars have standard design camera housings for TV broadcasts that are mounted on, or integrated into, the bodywork. The most obvious is the one on top of the air intake but there are lots of others on some cars and they will be constructed to aerospace type specifications I would think.

SNS3Guppy
23rd Nov 2008, 19:12
I've installed and used them on several different aircraft for various purposes (filming a documentary, experimental monitoring, etc). What you mount and how you mount it is best applied specifically to the aircraft in question. That is, what works on one airplane for one purpose isn't necessarily appropriate on another. Small changes to the external airflow can have pronounced effects on the operation of the airplane, to say nothing of flutter or other issues.

I've seen some gear mounted externally which appeared to be well engineered and stable, but which produced vibration or a buzz, or conditions I deemed unsafe, upon loading the wing in a turn or when maneuvering. Similiarly, what works in a clean configuration may not be acceptable in a landing configuration, etc.

Mounting a camera seems like a simple exercise, but it's a lot more than simply putting a fairing up and attaching a camera. Particularly if you'll be mounting it external to the pressure vessel, and trying to run it from inside the aircraft. Generally you'll need reinforcement under the surface where the camera is mounted, and you may require sealed wiring.

What application are you doing, here?

FlightTester
23rd Nov 2008, 21:05
These guys know a lot about fixing cameras to aircraft...

Clay Lacy | Astrovision - Clay Lacy Aviation, Executive Jet Charter Since 1968 (http://www.claylacy.com/?p=astrovision)

aeronavis
15th May 2009, 15:10
Yes, there are optically correct housings.

Are you looking for situational awareness application, flight test or broadcast?

Situational awareness (IFE, safety) or flight test try Securaplane. Generally these are hermetically sealed units that you cannot open up but they are fully qualified and FAA approved.

Broadcast - do a search on a NAB website (National Association of Broadcasters). The Clay Lacy camera is a broadcast / cinema application.

I think there is also a company that makes faired camera / sensor pods for scientific instruments. If you are still needing info let me know and I can dig through my archives and find the name.

Aeronavis

Graybeard
15th May 2009, 16:10
Thanks for the help, all. The requirement has gone dormant, at least for now.

GB

muduckace
16th May 2009, 00:03
I believe standard equip on G550/450 and A380.