PDA

View Full Version : Using a Zed Fare in a Third World Country?

sdra01
22nd Nov 2008, 22:02
im traveling to the congo in the beginning of december and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with using a zed fare in a third world country. in FIH which is in the congo there is no computer system and the zed tickets (from US Airways) i have do not look like your typical air france tickets that they see everyday. ive listed on the flight but not sure if they're going to have that listing when im leaving the country. from what i've read the authorities hastle everyone about everything trying to get money. any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated. thanks

-for those who dont know what a zed fare is. zonal employee discount fare for airline employees and its an interline agreement between carriers. i work for us airways and im looking to take an airfrance flight.

IFLy4Free
22nd Nov 2008, 22:39
I have used ID90/95 in Africa with Air France. But not in Congo. Call AF staff listing and ask if they have any info on procedures.

OLVpilot
23rd Nov 2008, 15:13
I used a ZED fare at JNB and had much difficulty dealing with the agents there. Be very careful and plan (at least) a week ahead of your departure for safety.

Good Luck!

SherpaDriver
25th Nov 2008, 16:11
I've used a ZED fare ticket to travel on Air France from London Heathrow to Lagos via Charles De Gaulle. I was able to list myself R/T at their ticket counter (they had a dedicated computer which allowed their staff/other airline employees to do their listing directly...the website had a French and English option to input your travel dates and destination...very user friendly). Once you print out your completed reservation, the counter folks will activate your standby listing and hand you your credentials to get you through security to the gate. If you make it on the flight to Africa, I would be very surprised if the folks in the Congo would question the validity of your ticket when its time to return home. Congo is kind of a hot spot right now so check travel visa requirements if you haven't already done so.

My trip on AF was a last minute one as I missed the flight on the airline I was supposed to non-rev on. I would call AF first to check the pax loads before making the journey. ID90/95/ZED tickets have been around for years and the way your reservation is coded would be a dead giveaway that it is a discounted staff ticket. I think the drama you might experience (if any) will be minimal. Good luck!:ok:

SU-GCM
26th Nov 2008, 18:41
I've used Zfare tickets at CAI before several times