PDA

View Full Version : 'Pilot' is it possible?

Francie81
21st Nov 2008, 23:37
Ok here is my situation, next year am taking my first trial flight and if flying is my thing am going for it and have already worked it out financially. Am 27 with €17K saved and can save €10K a year in my current position, so am thinking if I want to go for a flying career its very much possible with abit of hard work and will power.
Because looking at some of the threads can fairly put you off financially the way people talk, am thinking the integrated route will always be the thick end of a mortgage.
Any advice on this would be greatful?

Thanks,
Francie

INNflight
21st Nov 2008, 23:46
Hi Francie,

You say you got 17k saved already, which is a great start to get it on, no question! Well done on the planning ahead part me thinks.

I would say the best thing to do would be going the modular route.

First of all, integrated schools will be way above your budget (actually above most families budgets).....

and 2ndly, the industry is in a downturn at the moment, jobs are zero, and it's expected to stay like this for a few years, so take your time.

With something like 5-10k euros you can probably get your PPL easily in Ireland, and spend the rest on some hour building, or attend a distance learning or full time ATP theory course. This gives you a good start.

Then spend some time flying and hour building as money comes along, and then save up again and get the CPL IR done.

I guess you'll see if you catch the bug when doing your trial lesson anyways, so take it easy, and go slow...the next few years won't be so merry.

Good luck!

Francie81
22nd Nov 2008, 00:18
Thanks a million for that, its the kind of genuine response I was looking for. Exactly I can get into a habit of getting carried away and its the one thing you don't do it with.
Just that am a very good saver and I want to hopefully spend it on something worthwhile which was prob passing me by all the time you know, but I'll know next year. I think the best thing I can do also is to have a chat with the flight instructor who could give me the best advice.
INN are you a pilot yourself or edging towards i?

INNflight
22nd Nov 2008, 01:34
Hi again,

I am currently doing my Instrument Rating, so not the best time for sure, but I'll stretch it as far as I can, and go really slow on the CPL.

I'm doing it modular btw.

The nicest thing you could do is look around, see what options you have, don't buy into everything, and make sure you go the way YOU want, not the one everybody tells you to.

Don't let grumpy people (there's a few around these boards, I heard :E ) bring you down, be passionate about your goals and work towards them.

Oh, and network as much as you can. Maybe even eye towards getting a part-time job in aviation, for example in a FBO, or with a small air ambulance operator.

I'm not sure if it's a fair game, but the truth is, this business is all about who you know. If that chief pilot at the air ambulance company knows this or that office worker is gearing towards his ATPL, you can be sure to be on top of the recruitment list............!

Get to know people, talk and get yourself as prepared as you can. And take it easy, flight training is a great deal of fun, too...despite all the money spent :oh:

preduk
22nd Nov 2008, 10:31
If your a good saver I would highly recommend modular, why waste your hard earned cash on the same qualifications when there are no jobs available?

I've not met many integrated students, but the many modular pilots I know have ended up with airlines like Globespan, BMI, Ryanair, Eastern Airways, ScotAirways and FlyBE.

I've got a friend whos a top instructor at one of the modular FTOs who said he has been approached by airlines like Thomson for future recruitment, whether its true or not is another story.

Best of luck with the flying, don't be trapped by the marketing crap!

Francie81
27th Sep 2009, 22:27
Well am delighted to let you all know that today I experienced first hand flying for 30mins on board Cessna 150 DG model or something not too sure, but it was brilliant and I think after that I shall consider going for my ppl within the next couple of years.:ok:

LMM21
28th Sep 2009, 06:33
Well done mate :ok: Flying is a great feeling. Wait till you get your first solo!

alkatifa
28th Sep 2009, 18:15
Good stuff!

Yeah I remember my first flight, on 5th August....just awesome. Then my first solo on the 14th was the bomb!

ayush konisetty
28th Sep 2009, 22:49
Ya nothing like the 1rst Solo:), and after my first solo i also got a school jacket to wear.

CS-CCO
29th Sep 2009, 10:32
I still remember my first solo as if it had been yesterday!

John_Mc
29th Sep 2009, 17:31
I had my first solo on Sunday just gone, and it feels great to still be in one piece! :)

Donny Matt
20th Oct 2009, 17:50
Completed my first solo this sunday morning, what an amazing feeling that was - beyond words really :ok:

donogca
20th Oct 2009, 20:25
Fair play mate.. I was in your position this time last year! I decided to take the leap in September and have just completed my PPL in stapleford! Great feeling!!! Need any advice, give me a shout! :)

KAG
21st Oct 2009, 08:18
next year am taking my first trial flight and if flying is my thing

I have always wondered about that one...

Some really enjoy it, but later are bored in a cockpit.
Some are sick during this trial flight, and later become aerobatic instructors.

I wouldn' t give much importance about this trial flight, which is a way for the flight school to get more business.

If deeply you know your motivations, then you already know what you will choose, and this trial flight won' t, I bet, stop you even if you are a bit dizzy during the turns.

There are no human beings physically able to fly versus the ones not able. We are all the same (if no sickness...).

Here is my advice: don' t let yourself becoming the slave of your dreams. Flying an airplane, flying a big jet won' t change you, won' t make you smarter ot anything like that. Make you arrogant maybe. I know, you will say this is not the point, I just remind you this fact.

If you can afford it, go for it. If not, fly gliders, have an interesting job, and travel around the world, you will see much more than any pilots.

I realize this post will seem a bit dark. But sometimes the real truth has to be seen by the wannabes, escpecially when we don' t know where this career is heading.