PDA

View Full Version : SAX BAe 146 Captain Positions

Mister Geezer
21st Nov 2008, 19:26
Just wondering if anyone has any details on salary, roster and conditions on the 146 with SA Airlink.

I see any positions are based in JNB which leads me to ask the following: Is it really a safe place to live?

Cheers

Euro_Pilot
21st Nov 2008, 20:36
SAX doesn’t have the BAE 146's, you must be referring to SA Airlink.

Mister Geezer
21st Nov 2008, 20:38
Sorry... yep you are quite right. I mean SA Airlink.

(Thread title now corrected!)

skyshark
22nd Nov 2008, 09:15
it depends how desperate you are. Joburg has to be the worst place to live, airlink has to be the worst so called airline to work for. The professional standard is low, there is no roster stability, you are on permanent standby, no allowances for which is paid. The crew are bullied and intimidated by management, they have no fight left, safair is doing all their fighting. It is a true last minute dot com airline

exjet
22nd Nov 2008, 09:28
Skyshark - you got a bug up your a... about Airlink? You obviously have flown for a lot of different operaters in many different countries to come to this well thought out and helpful observation of this company.

:rolleyes:

boyracer
22nd Nov 2008, 11:00
Joburg not a bad place actually great in areas (N. suburbs ) very social place great night life lots of restaurants, malls etc . Very cosmopolitan. Its a short drive to the bush and the mountains for time off, lots of golf if you like . The summer weather is awesome and there is a great energetic vibe.
The truth is its a BIG place with many options check out the northern suburbs around Sandton , Bryanston etc, close to the airport not so good. Rent short term then decide.
And to all the nay sayers no I dont live in JNB but I did for many years now in CT for a change of pace and the sea.
As for Air Link I flew for them about 10 years ago , management was S**t but the fellow crew were great better than most I have flown for . If its a contract go for it and have fun thats why you going on a contract.
A dollar goes along way in JNB compared to every where Ive been
Good luck with your choice.:ok:

Cave Troll
23rd Nov 2008, 14:13
Sky Shark

I could not agree with you more. I had the "pleasure" of working for that so called airline for a while until I saw the light and left.

Mr Geezer be prepared to get worked to the bone, not much in the way of family life and like SS said get bullied by managment. Besides all that also be prepared for aircraft that continually carry snags and real questionable maintenance. I do not mean that the techs are bad but the fact is they are also over worked under paid and also seem to be pressurised by the so called managment.

As for living in JHB all I can say is just be very carefull where in JHB you move to. North is generally good.

Enjoy

ct

OneDay21
23rd Nov 2008, 20:20
Not qualified to answer questions on airlink but Joburg not as bad as everyone thinks..
If you want to live near airports (+- 20min) best bet is bedfordview, very safe and cosmopolitan... Offices are slowly moving here as well, thats how sandton became sandton...
Just make sure to be aware and get a place with good security.
And by good i mean, electric fence minimum....
Hope Airlink treats you well.
OneDay

Avi8tor
24th Nov 2008, 08:59
Sadly I have to agree with the general sentiment expressed here. Link used to be a GREAT place to work about 10 yrs ago. It all went pear shaped when Management decided to go to war with the Pilots. Management got there noses rubbed in it rather badly. The Pilots also lost focus and even after winning the battles, ended up losing the war. It just left both sides generally unhappy.

Can't speak for conditions now, but if they can't get local pilots to sign up for their circus, it says a lot.

As somebody who used to live in SA, but still visits often. SA is still the wild west. Don't let anybody tell you that JNB is worse than others. I was the victim of an attempted Hi jacking outside Cape Town airport in November last yr.

The thing that will kill you is the weak rand and the taxation. With the ZAR at R10/USD they simply can't pay you enough. Also tax in SA is crazy, expect 35%.

OneDay21
24th Nov 2008, 10:46
If you look at the latest statistics, area in SA with highest murder rate is... wait for it... Cape Town... Okay so if i get this right, working on statistics now, If i stay in Joburg i have less of a chance getting murdered than in Cape Town...
Really when it comes down to it, Joburg is just as dangerous as any other place in the world, just dont put yourself in a situation that can go bad..
OneDay

OneDay21
25th Nov 2008, 10:51
Absolutely right about the crime compared to the rest of the world, I could leave my car outside with my keys in the ignition but i choose not to stay in the Karoo. You make a choice to live in this area of the world understanding the risks involved, we might have hijackings here and there but no terrorist threats
I lived in various parts of the UK and Wales for a year and a half and there are parts just as notorious as parts of Joburg.
In the end of the day it doesnt really matter where you stay, there will always be crime, just be safe and alert.
OneDay

Avi8tor
27th Nov 2008, 15:27
In the end of the day it doesnt really matter where you stay, there will always be crime NOT here to bash the good new RSA. But don't try and rationalise away the crime in SA. Its a big issue. Crime in MOST places in the world is NOT like SA.

My villa in jumeira in NOT locked and hasn't been in the 18mo I have been here. Would NOT do that with my house in Waterkloof Ridge.