PDA

View Full Version : Requiem for Innsworth

endplay
21st Nov 2008, 16:07
Having left some 14 months ago when Innsworth was in it's death throes and Air Command was still a fledgling I have a question.

Is it better now that PTC is consigned to history and all the decision making eggs are in one basket?

I seem to recall a lot of vitriol was poured onto the REMFs(?) at HQ but is it a case of "Beware what you wish for" or has it worked?

Serious question but open for banter as ever.

6Z3
21st Nov 2008, 16:17
I wonder how many thousands of senior officer hours went into the annual PTC management reshuffle. The place had more pillars than samson could handle. I guess the same exercise will continue where ever the venue and whatever the HQ.

Give a senior officer a pyramid and he'll bury himself in the sand.

Wensleydale
21st Nov 2008, 18:52
By coincidence, I received a letter from Innsworth this morning. It was a copy of my ACR that should have been posted in May 2007! It asked for me to return the confirmation slip. I don't think that I'll bother.

Jumping_Jack
22nd Nov 2008, 11:04
No....it's still pants....:{

Junta Leader
22nd Nov 2008, 13:21
RAF Innsworth..... Surely you mean Imjin Barracks?

BBC NEWS | England | Gloucestershire | Ceremony to rename ex-RAF station (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/7741099.stm)

JL:}

Toddington Ted
22nd Nov 2008, 13:38
When RAF Little Rissington closed in 1976 (well, when CFS moved out) the station changed its name to Imjin Barracks (for the same reasons - the link with the Gloucestershire Regiment) and the Army requested that 30 additional cells be built (so I'm reliably informed). However, it's good to see the name being resurrected again. I did a tour at HQ PTC in the mid 90s when a redundancy scheme was in full swing (funny old thing). It wasn't bad there but it never ceased to amaze me how many Admin Sec and TG17 folks planned their entire careers around the place - I wonder where they all are now?

Rigga
22nd Nov 2008, 17:15
Only went there once - to collect some money and leave a little bit of plastic behind. It looked like a desserted army barracks then.
Its only another name gone - the jobs have just moved to somewhere else.

themightyimp
22nd Nov 2008, 18:15
@Toddington Ted (http://www.pprune.org/members/29295-toddington-ted)

You'll be pleased to know that Little Rissington is used by the RAF nowadays (I believe that the FMQs have been sold off).

Back on topic. I believe that it works better. I can pester the deskie in the bar know :}

Seriously yes it does work. Scribblies are now effectively subordinate to the operational commander. No offence but we are all supporting functions to the end effect. Pilots god bless 'em :yuk:

endplay
22nd Nov 2008, 20:39
Although never part of the Innsworth setup I was lodged there on 2 tours and I recall a medal presentation where one of my guys got a commendation for carrying out a vital task whilst under mortar attack in Iraq (I thought he deserved more pesonnally) and a TG17 Sgt was presented with his LSGM. His "history" showed that he had spent his entire career (well almost) at Innsworth. I also had close dealings with 2 senior officers who had managed their careers (insider trading?) to ensure that the vast majority of their time was spent at Glos.

I always felt that there was an incestuous aspect of Innsworth life: the famed mafia did exist, and that they viewed the outside world with some suspicion and considered us to be an inconvenience to their smooth running of the management of the RAF.

Not bad people, per se, but institutionalised into an HQ mindset whose absolute loyalty was to their own organisation.

Just wondered if the move had changed this in any way.