PDA

View Full Version : Air Clues

C130 Techie
20th Nov 2008, 17:43
Sorting through a store room at work we have discovered a large quantity of old issues of Air Clues. There are about 25 consecutive years worth dating from 1973 -74 onwards.

Rather than bin them I thought I would ask first if they are of use to anyone.

If they are then please let me know.

Pontius Navigator
20th Nov 2008, 17:54
Try Hendon and Cosford. They may have a need for some.

green granite
20th Nov 2008, 17:55
Put them on e-bay, make your fortune. :E

glad rag
20th Nov 2008, 18:37
Don't bin them!! .

BlackIsle
20th Nov 2008, 18:43
Is it still being produced?

Robert Cooper
21st Nov 2008, 03:47
Don't bin them, someone will be able to use them as training aids. When I came over here in '83 and joined the Auxiliary USAF, i.e. Civil Air Patrol, I used them as training aids for the the cadets on my squadron, especially the "I learned about flying from that" articles.

I'm doing a different sort of flying now, but try your local Air Cadet Squadron.

Cheers, Bob C

Jackonicko
21st Nov 2008, 08:51
Check your PMs!

Arclite01
21st Nov 2008, 09:07
Publish all the 'I learned about flying from that..................' elements on the web somewhere - I loved them all and learned a lot !!

Arc

BEagle
21st Nov 2008, 09:30
It's amazing what turns up when people clear offices.

The Education Section (as it was, none of this stupid 'Force Development' nonsense) library at Brize were about to throw out a lot of old magazines, but they were rescued by one of the TTF navigator instructors who gave them to me.

A lot of wartime and other historic stuff, now either on permanent loan to the Yorkshire Air Museum or donated to the Shuttleworth Collection.

There were also 2 copies of the very first Recognition journal (Volume 1 Number 1), dated September 1942. I kept one of those, along with the 2 copies of 'Royal Air Force Flying Review', dated Jul 1953 and Feb 1954. One of which describes the 1953 Royal Review - involving 300 static aircraft and a flypast of 'over 600' others.

Them were 't days.....:hmm:

Ivan Rogov
21st Nov 2008, 10:58
Find someone with a website who is willing to scan and host them please, then we can all see them :O

Not sure about copywrite issues, but they were for flight safety and are still great lessons learnt (erm, identified!). They were Restricted but can't see that being a problem now.

Doctor Cruces
21st Nov 2008, 11:12
Aren't they "RESTRICTED"?
Mind you, I've been out of the mob for ages so maybe not.
But best be careful and check.

Air Clues, wonderful in house mag.

Doc C

Fishtailed
21st Nov 2008, 12:02
Beagle,
Them were 't days.....http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/yeees.gif
The book 'Coronation Wings' by Eric Bucklow lists, describes and illustrates every aircraft on the ground and in the air that day, 641 in the flypast and 318 on the ground. A marvelouse piece of work.:D

sisemen
21st Nov 2008, 13:50
When I worked in Adastral House in the late 80s the reference library there had every copy of Air Clues plus countless other documents (I remember looking at a hand amended copy of KRs dated 1920 to reference some pay query or other).

One wonders what happened to that lot once Adastral closed its doors.

C130 Techie
22nd Nov 2008, 09:15
Thanks for the reponses both on here and by PM. I have been surprised by the level of interest in these old editions. They will be going to Cosford where they will hopefully be put to good use.

BEagle
22nd Nov 2008, 14:05
Fishtailed, it is indeed an excellent work.

Amazing what could be done 55 years ago! The list of pilots reads like a Who's Who of aviation - including Neville Duke who had a TOT of 16:06:50 at 580KIAS in his Hunter F1, to be followed a mere 10 sec later at 16:07 by Mike Lithgow in a Swift F4, also at 580KIAS. After which the Swift's engine seized, but he managed to dead-stick it at Chilbolton!

Hazledon, Trubshaw and Falk flew the first V-bomber prototypes in the Royal Review; whilst the Victor and Valiant had been somewhat pedestrian at 250KIAS and 300KIAS respectively, Roly's 400KIAS in the Vulcan must have been spectacular!

Them were indeed 't days!!

spekesoftly
22nd Nov 2008, 15:49
Hazledon, Trubshaw and Falk

I hope BEags will forgive the correction, but the HP Test Pilot's name is spelt Hazelden.

Bucc Man
22nd Nov 2008, 21:22
Second that BEags. At least scan and post online the 'I Learnt..' pages. What a treasure trove!

BEagle
23rd Nov 2008, 07:03
Thanks for pointing out my spolling miskate!
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

In addition to his work on the Victor, his forced landing of a burning Dart Herald was an astonishing feat of skill. See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1338607/Squadron-Leader-Hedley-Hazelden.html .