PDA

View Full Version : Aces in the RAF

boswell bear
20th Nov 2008, 13:37
Are there any "Aces" in current service with the RAF, still flying or in other posts?

Jumping_Jack
20th Nov 2008, 13:43
There's lots that think they are! ;)

philrigger
20th Nov 2008, 13:45
;)

The last ones that I saw were on the tails of 84 Squadron flying out of Khormaksar. I don't think that 84 at Akrotiri have them.

:ugh:

Dominoe
20th Nov 2008, 14:14
There is one Griffin in Cyprus with an Ace on its tail, the others each have a Heart, Club and Diamond respectfully. Come to think of it the cab with the Ace on the tail might currently be on loan to 60 Sqn at Shawbury.

boswell bear
20th Nov 2008, 14:18
I was thinking more of the pilots rather than the aircraft.

airborne_artist
20th Nov 2008, 14:23
Remind us how many RAF aircraft have splashed an enemy aircraft since, say, 1960? :E

Spanish Waltzer
20th Nov 2008, 14:24
There is one Griffin in Cyprus with an Ace on its tail, the others each have a Heart, Club and Diamond respectfully.

Why not a Spade?

And surely a heart/diamond/club is an ace therefore all aircraft are aces...or am I missing something :confused::confused:

effects
20th Nov 2008, 14:28
Well there was the Toom that sorted the Jag....:ok:

XV277
20th Nov 2008, 14:35
The last (official) RAF aircraft air-to-air 'kill' was an Egyptian Spitfire in 1948.

A number of RAF pilots have achieved kills whilst flying with other services, notably USAF in Korea and RN in the Falklands. However, none of them have reached 'Ace' status.

So the answer is 'no'

Spanish Waltzer
20th Nov 2008, 14:36
Remind us how many RAF aircraft have splashed an enemy aircraft since, say, 1960?

one better than an aircraft how about an aircraft carrier :ok::D
An "Own Goal" by the RAF
<[email protected]>
Thu, 23 Apr 1992 09:28:16 +0000
The following is quoted in its entirety, from the 23 Apr 1992 issue of The
Independent, a "quality" UK National Newspaper. Its discussion of how an Royal
Air Force Sea Harrier managed to bomb a Royal Navy aircraft carrier is entirely
speculative, offering either a computer malfunction, or failure by the pilot to
press a button as likely causes. However I find the statement that "offset"
bombing practice relies on a simple button press to ensure that the ship towing
the target does not itself become the target both interesting and worrying, if
true. Brian Randell

`ARK ROYAL' WAS BOMBED BY RAF HARRIER PILOT
By Christopher Bellamy, Defence Correspondent

The Royal Navy launched an inquiry yesterday into how a Royal Air Force pilot
bombed its most modern carrier, Ark Royal, on Monday, missing the intended
target by 500 yards. Navy sources said that one of the two RAF pilots flying
with the Royal Navy during the exercise had applied to transfer to the senior
service. It is not clear if the incident will affect that move.

boswell bear
20th Nov 2008, 15:02
My reason for asking is that in a recent conversation someone thought that the only serving officer who could be classed as an ace was a guy who flew in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965. Just wondered if that is correct.

Chugalug2
20th Nov 2008, 15:10
Why not a Spade?
There was a Constellation parked in the Western Dispersal of RAF Changi in the early sixties..that had an Ace of Spades on the tail! Trouble with the number three engine meant that it was parked there for a very long time, with the Chiefies earning pocket money by taking it to bits and then putting it together again. The hoped for engine change never materialised so eventually the engine was fired up, along with the others, and they departed (heading West). As soon as the wheels were up number three was feathered and they continued on their way. Not too sure if that meant they were Aces. :confused:

TMJ
20th Nov 2008, 15:40
My reason for asking is that in a recent conversation someone thought that the only serving officer who could be classed as an ace was a guy who flew in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965. Just wondered if that is correct.

Would that be the chap who teaches (taught?) OS at Cranditz?

boswell bear
20th Nov 2008, 15:47
It could be?

PPRuNeUser0211
20th Nov 2008, 16:25
I can't remember that much about that chap's background but I do remember he was a great laugh but mad as a fish! Oh the comfy chair challenge....

FlightTester
20th Nov 2008, 16:51
I have a small model of a Tornado GR1 on my desk - XV Sqn, EA (aka Mig Killer). I believe it successfully took a Mig 29 out of the air during the Gulf War using JP233! Unfortunately I can't remember who was crewing it at the time.

Edit: Obviously the real aircraft and not the model on my desk took the Mig out!

flytrap
20th Nov 2008, 16:56
The chap in question took great (and no doubt deserved) pride in telling everyone that he was indeed the only ace in the RAF, earned as declared above. I believe his nickname was 'Spider'. When everyone was in 'jumpers' no 2 rig he would make us all take them off to ensure everyone had ironed them. He was Pakistani. Not sure if he's still around. Mad as a...

scarecrow450
20th Nov 2008, 17:00
Thats one eck of a model if it did do it!
Did'nt a Torn GR1 destroy an Antonov that had just rotated during GW1 ?. Think it was the RAF's last air-air kill ????

Arbie
20th Nov 2008, 17:38
Wasn't it 'Spider' Webb at Carnditz, or does my memory deceive me? His dits all seemed to be very...colourful!

Union Jack
20th Nov 2008, 18:12
Now if only 806 NAS were still in commission .....

Fortunately, however, the Ace of Diamonds is still proudly displayed on the RNHF Sea Hawk, vide BBC - Guernsey - In Pictures - Sea Hawk (http://tinyurl.com/5u35lb)

Jack

sled dog
20th Nov 2008, 18:44
The Connie at Changi was owned by Ace Freighters ( Air Charter Enterprises ? ) , i remember it as well.
A long time ago :{

boswell bear
20th Nov 2008, 18:58
Was he the VGS CO for a while?

Chugalug2
20th Nov 2008, 23:40
sled dog:

The Connie at Changi was owned by Ace Freighters

Yes indeed, but I seem to remember the rain gradually washing away that company's insignia to reveal Aer Lingus's Shamrock beneath! Rumour had it that the TOC checklist was reading out the minutes of the last Board Meeting prior to the Agenda for this one, but then it was only a rumour! :)

XV277
20th Nov 2008, 23:49

Ah, misread the initial question as 'RAF aces'....

cornish-stormrider
22nd Nov 2008, 13:34
dunno if this helps or not but I once found a tape of Motorhead's Ace of Spades in the tapedeck device in the back of the F3 on a return from a det. Sadly our interest was more in recovering the hidden cargo of ******* from the ******* *** before the grown-ups pitched up.

Edited to allow the art of getting away with it to continue..

GreenWings
22nd Nov 2008, 22:20
ISTR it was Errol (sp?) Webb, Sqn Ldr. He taught me OS when I was at Cranditz in 2003. Excellent war stories, plenty of tales to tell.

GW

boswell bear
23rd Nov 2008, 12:41
Is Errol "the ace"?

cazatou
23rd Nov 2008, 13:08
Nah,

THAT was Errol Flynn

cornish-stormrider
23rd Nov 2008, 16:31
Nostrinian, let us assume for a moment the theoretical point that certain parts of the F3, are never used in transit from XXXXXX to XXXXXX. those areas are (for the sake of argument) the right size for a bottle of.....um....... pepsi, yes, pepsi. let us call it that. this pepsi comes in a very nice size and the unmentioned areas hold several bottles...........

It is similar to the ENTIRELY FICTIONAL account in North SAR by the late Gerry Carroll of a USN SAR crew hiding a bottle or two of high strength alcohol (for medicinal purposes i'm sure) in the Helo for the trip out to the boat.

have I been clear enough and yet vague enough. Mind you there is still no evidence and I am sure the modern, Fit, CCS'd and fully briefed RAF would never do anything as heinous as that which I might have mentioned........
:E
Alas I can remember very little of my short time on the F3 - I blame alcohol.:E

TorqueOfTheDevil
23rd Nov 2008, 17:07
The last (official) RAF aircraft air-to-air 'kill' was an Egyptian Spitfire in 1948.

A number of RAF pilots have achieved kills whilst flying with other services, notably USAF in Korea and RN in the Falklands.

Allegedly, an RAF Javelin downed an Indonesian C-130 during the 1960s, and an RAF Hunter scored a manoeuvre kill against a MiG-17 at a similar time.

Though not an ace, there is still one serving RAF pilot who can claim to have destroyed a German aircraft (a Huey during an exchange tour, by crashing it). The Germans, with remarkable good humour, presented him with the stick-top mounted above a plaque saying "Confirmed Kill, Huey No XXX", plus date and his name!