PDA

View Full Version : books for IR training???

acuba 290
19th Nov 2008, 20:40
just going to start my JAA IR soon and want to know if there are any good books can be helpful to take with?

flightlevel1985
19th Nov 2008, 20:43
I found that RANT was the best source of knowledge :ok:

acuba 290
19th Nov 2008, 21:03
what is RANT?

flightlevel1985
19th Nov 2008, 21:13
Sorry, its a computer based programme called Radio Aids Navigation Trainer. It serves to show the aircraft instruments in a more straight forwards manner, without the clutter of flying surrounding them. By moving the aircraft around the screen, you can see the different readings on each instrument. Its very useful for the ADF, and unlike Microsoft flight sim, it does show the dip on the needle. It is valuable for being able to read and understand each instrument correctly. You can also fly a route of your choice, thus allowing yourself to become more familiar with the readings.

I have probably paid it no justice now, but it is worth it. I found it much easier than a book. The IR is mainly about learning a few rules and laws, a few rules of thumb and then learning how to read the instruments correctly.

acuba 290
19th Nov 2008, 21:27
so it is kind of payware version of this: luizmonteiro - Learning & Tutorials - VOR Simulator (http://www.luizmonteiro.com/Learning_VOR_Sim.aspx)

flightlevel1985
19th Nov 2008, 21:32
I would say so yes, although much more advanced and detailed in its resources. It also has all of the approach plates programmed in to allow you to fly the published let down procedures on it. You can also hide the aircraft tracks, in order to practice, then show them again, allowing you to review your own performance. It was also particularly good for those NDB holds in a storming cross wind :ok:

tony2F
19th Nov 2008, 21:41
I'll second RANT, but if you want a book, I liked, Never Get Lost by Wilhelm Thaller it explains all the flight procedures pictorially on the instruments and how to interpret them, so you can see what the instrument looks like when you are doing a maneuver, where alot of IR books explain the theory only.

acuba 290
19th Nov 2008, 21:43
well, I have "Never Get Lost by Wilhelm Thaller" and what about Jeppesen Instrument Commercila Manual? Is it any help for JAA IR or too much FAA inside?

Flaps up no lights
20th Nov 2008, 15:05
RANT all the way... really useful for OPC's and LST when you get your first job:} I still use it before I go for a sim.

Good luck with your IR it's all down hill after that:ok:

acuba 290
20th Nov 2008, 15:09
thanx everybody for your tipps! ;)