PDA

View Full Version : Trying not to forget my Instrument theory

OgRo
19th Nov 2008, 17:51
Hello all...

Can I get some suggestions on how to keep the JAA IR theory from withering away in the back of my mind if I'm in a VFR only job??
I mean seriously, after one year of flying over a beach in 30 deg heat, how am I supposed to really be prepared for some off-shore job?
And please don't tell me I have to carry all the Oxford Aviation bricks around everywhere I go? Damn box with just the books weighed 23 kg!!! :ugh:
Is there a book or DVD or something that encompasses all the info on the JAA IR from Air Law, Ops, Instruments, etc??

Thanks in advance.

Bravo73
19th Nov 2008, 18:02
I'm guessing that you've not actually done the IR course itself...

If I'm right, don't sweat about forgetting the theory side of things. All of the actual theory that you will need will be covered on the course itself.

(Don't, however, let your 3 year 'validity period' expire if you can avoid it.)

HTH

paco
19th Nov 2008, 18:15
Check Your PMs

Phil

DTibbals53
19th Nov 2008, 18:17
I recommend IFR Refresher. It is a periodical that is reasonably challenging and assits in keeping the concepts in the proper lobes of the brain housing unit.

http://www.ifr-refresher.com/

Good luck!

Fly safely

OgRo
19th Nov 2008, 22:23
@Bravo73

I'm guessing that you've not actually done the IR course itself...Actually that's part of the point. I converted my FAA IR to a JAA IR quite recently, but since I already had the ATPL exams done from way before, there was no other theory exam requirement, only practical time was needed. But now I feel that I would have benefited from a refresher.

@Phil
Thanks for the link, I'll definitely buy it as soon as possible.

@DTibbals53
Thanks I'll definitely look into it.

Cheers

ToTall
19th Nov 2008, 22:58
OgRo

Congrats with your JAR, finally :-)

How was it to fly AirWolf?
(He went to Norway to finish up and flew a Bell 222, an x airwolf machine from the series).

Bravo73
19th Nov 2008, 23:44
@Bravo73
Actually that's part of the point. I converted my FAA IR to a JAA IR quite recently, but since I already had the ATPL exams done from way before, there was no other theory exam requirement, only practical time was needed. But now I feel that I would have benefited from a refresher.

In that case, I still wouldn't really worry about the theory side of things. If you get a VFR only job, I'd be more concerned with trying to maintain my IR currency. If you can't get access to a sim occasionally, even MS Flightsim and RANT should be able to help you out.

mcgoo
22nd Nov 2008, 09:56
How was it to fly AirWolf?
(He went to Norway to finish up and flew a Bell 222, an x airwolf machine from the series).

There was only one flying airframe for the series N3176S which was written off in a crash in 1992.