PDA

View Full Version : Iceland Express

Four Wings
19th Nov 2008, 17:33
My wife are flying Iceland Express Stansted to Reykjavik (and back!) for New Year. Any news / comments on their current operations?

VOM1T
20th Nov 2008, 10:40
You're so lucky!! Was there last year and the New Year's eve fireworks are incredible plus Iceland EXpress are great ... it's not yet announced but they have a special Christmas in-flight menu (to buy ) of
hot cocoa, flatbread and hangikjöt ( a certain type of smoked lamb). Also worth paying a little extra to get your seats allocated on the plane.. enjoy

RingwaySam
20th Nov 2008, 14:12
Pretty sure the Astraeus 737-700s are operating those flights at the momen. Not sure if things will change or not.

denis555
20th Nov 2008, 15:25
Iceland at Christmas was one of the best breaks I ever had.

BOAC
20th Nov 2008, 18:20
Yes, it is planned for the Astraeus 737-700s. Great cabin crew too. Prices in Iceland are really 'acceptable' at the moment, and I can confirm the New Year fireworks in Reyk are phenomenal! I'm sure you will have a great time.

Four Wings
20th Nov 2008, 22:19
Great news - many thanks - looks as if we could all have a party together!

When booking (in Oct) I looked at the config and paid extra for Seats 1A/B both ways.

TightSlot
21st Nov 2008, 07:38
Given the parlous state of the Icelandic economy - are you certain that there will be fireworks this year?

VOM1T
21st Nov 2008, 08:19
Excerpt from Iceland Review October 2008:

China Saves Iceland’s New Year’s Celebrations

Iceland will be able to celebrate the New Year in the traditional manner with a massive amount of fireworks, thanks to Chinese fireworks manufacturer Zhang Zong Lin, which agreed to delayed payment from fireworks importer Landsbjörg.

Managing director of Landsbjörg Kristinn Ólafsson told Morgunbladid that the fireworks had already been ordered in February and that the first delivery had arrived last summer.

When the second shipment was supposed to be sent to Iceland, the economic conditions had changed dramatically. The ISK had depreciated immensely and Landsbjörg had problems with transferring foreign currency.

“We contacted the manufacturer in China and explained the situation. He [Zhang Zong Lin] showed us a lot of understanding and decided to give us credit for the delivery. We just hope that the situation has improved by New Year’s so that we can pay him back,” Ólafsson said.

Landsbjörg has a long-standing business relationship with Zhang Zong Lin and Ólafsson appreciates his trust in the association, which he describes as an act of friendship.

Landsbjörg or ICE-SAR, the association of volunteer search and rescue teams in Iceland, has a 70 to 80 percent market share of fireworks sales in Iceland. The profits go towards their operations and is their biggest source of income.

Without fireworks sales it would be difficult to operate search and rescue teams, Ólafsson said.

Icelanders are known for setting off an excessive amount of fireworks on New Year’s Eve and the explosive celebrations have become quite a tourist attraction. Records have been broken in fireworks sales year after year, but now Ólafsson expects a drop in sales
:ok:

BIRD2008
10th Jan 2009, 02:27
The fireworks here this year where something about 75%-80% of last years. Something about having less money to spend. I personally don't buy that much, I try to buy some and look at it as a donation to good cause and buy few nice one's. But still we had fun, even though the price of beer has gone through the roof for us Icelanders :ugh: