PDA

View Full Version : Twin Engine Rental

paton400
19th Nov 2008, 15:02
It is possible to rent an twin aircraft for about a month. If so what would be the cheapest way of doing it?

vanHorck
19th Nov 2008, 15:06
Depending on the hours you ve flown, experience on type and a check out ride, I am sure it can be done.

Easiest is dry lease if you intend to fly quite a bit.
Old ones and those over-used (schools) may be the cheapest ones.

I ve rented out my Seneca IV before, but I am rather picky as to whom, because she s my baby and in pristine condition. I think you'll find most owners are like that.

You might be wiser to specify a little more what type of twin you are looking for, for which kind of sorties and what type of equipment you re looking for

Good luck!

BackPacker
19th Nov 2008, 15:11
Cheap and twin in almost the same sentence.:ugh:

It will depend to a very large extent on the number of hours you're going to fly in that month. Twins available for regular self-fly rent are typically workhorses for a school and can normally not be missed for an extended time. Plus they will have a minimum hours requirement on them if you take them for an extended period. If you are going to meet that minimum requirement it'll still be rather expensive.

On the other hand, there are twins in hands of private owners. If you are able to strike a deal with them, particularly if you're not leaving the local area so that the owner can use the plane if he/she needs it, you might get almost unlimited use for a reasonable price.

So we really need to know what you intend to do with it before we can give you better advise.

paton400
19th Nov 2008, 15:41
Renting from an owner was what i was thinking. I dont actually have my ppl yet, but when i have it and the multi engine rating i am hoping to build a hunderd hours in USA/Canada.

What kind of cost would i be looking at? fuel, landing fees etc?

Would i be better of with a single? I know its cheaper, but i would rather a twin incase of an engine failure.

Duchess_Driver
19th Nov 2008, 15:56
Prefer second engine in case of engine failure......

...It is often said that the second engine just gets you to the scene of the crash quicker. :ok:

Twins are complicated and require delicate handling and currency is a major factor in flying this class of aeroplane.

My recommendation - stick with a single unless you're doing large amounts of over water or over mountain flying (even then beware of Driftdown heights)! Much cheaper (but not as much fun!!!!!)

Fg Off Max Stout
19th Nov 2008, 15:57
Crikey - hours building in a twin. 100 hrs! You're talking BIG money.

Why not do what everyone else does and hours build in a single and make sure you're well up to speed at PFLs.

paton400
19th Nov 2008, 16:07
yeh i supose that would be better! i wont be doing much in the way of flying over water.

So what kind of cost am i looking at in say a cessna 172, for fuel all other fees

vanHorck
19th Nov 2008, 16:27
If you look in mags like Pilot and Fler, you ll find plenty of American schools. In variably on their website (if not already in the advert) they will give you rates for block bookings. Make sure you differentiate between WET and DRY rental, it makes a difference.....

Fg Off Max Stout
19th Nov 2008, 16:34
'You got mail'

BRS_flyer
19th Nov 2008, 16:59
Never heard that before, most people want multi time building for the multi time rather than safety reasons :confused:

If you are looking in the states try here: Fast Multi Engine Time Building,Multi Engine Flight Training,Cheap Multi Engine School,Multi Engine Aircraft Sales,Cheap Twin Time Building Rates (http://www.twintimebuilding.com/)

Signigicantly more than a single but much less than trying to get exclusive use of one a/c for a month. For single time building just look for any small FBO in the US. A good example can be found here: Houston Flight School. Flight Training from Private to ATP in Houston Texas. Affordable Flight Training (http://www.dutchwingsflightschool.com/timebuilding.html)

paton400
19th Nov 2008, 20:14
rite, thank you all for your help!

englishal
20th Nov 2008, 09:40
I dont actually have my ppl yet, but when i have it and the multi engine rating i am hoping to build a hunderd hours in USA/Canada.
If you have just got your PPL and have just got a ME rating you won't be able to rent a ME aeroplane in the USA. Typically they want 500 Hrs TT 100ME time and possibly 50-100ME time on type.

You could of course rent an instructor for the 100 hrs.......

You can rent a DA40 with G1000 etc., for $99 per hour DRY for hour building (Angel City FLyers) which works out at about $130 wet with lots of airports. That would be your best bet I think.