PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Hawaii

gone_with_the_wind
19th Nov 2008, 14:18
hello friends,

has anyone heard about getting a PPL in Hawaii?

I'm considering to get a PPL there. The weather is quite nice, consistent throughout the year... but i'm not sure the price / quality of schools... any famous / recommended flight schools??

actually i'm free to choose everywhere in the world, but I've a friend there, so free housing is probably available. that's why i don't prefer famous places like florida / california / aus ....

any comments are welcome! Thank you!

172driver
19th Nov 2008, 15:19
Don't know any school there, BUT, AFAIK there is something about the X-country requirements that cannot be met on Hawaii. Can't quite remember the details, but as the islands aren't big enough, I believe (but stand to be corrected), that you have to redo a small x-country test on the mainland for the PPL to be issued. Check the FAA website, the answer should be there.

slowto280
19th Nov 2008, 15:34
I did my PPL mid 70's in Hawaii with no problem, with no extra x-country needed. Perhaps there was (is) some kind of waiver that took place, don't remember, long time ago. I do remember some knocking knees when the engine would sputter. :uhoh: X-countries were (are) island to island. Beautiful place though. :D

Rocket2
20th Nov 2008, 09:33
GWTW
Check out Maui Aviators on Maui Aviators, LLC (http://www.mauiaviators.com/) I flew with them a few years ago & can highly recommend the service I received - did the the long flight around all the islands mostly at unbelievably low level with Mrs R2 in the back & an instructor alongside as a tour guide.
Great fun :}