PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Hawaii

gone_with_the_wind
19th Nov 2008, 14:16
hello friends,

has anyone heard about getting a PPL in Hawaii?

I'm considering to get a PPL there. The weather is quite nice, consistent throughout the year... but i'm not sure the price / quality of schools... any famous / recommended flight schools??

actually i'm free to choose everywhere in the world, but I've a friend there, so free housing is probably available. that's why i don't prefer famous places like florida / california / aus ....

any comments are welcome! Thank you!

SNS3Guppy
20th Nov 2008, 07:58
You'll probably find Hawaii a little more expensive. Hawaii will also offer far fewer options for training, particularly with types of terrain, destinations, etc. If you're strictly after getting a private pilot certificate and don't plan on going beyond that (commercial, etc), then there's no reason not to go enjoy your time in Hawaii. If you're interested in advanced training at some point, then doing your training where you can have exposure to busy airspace, different climates and terrain, etc, may be more to your advantage.

If you do plan on going beyond the private, you can always go do the private in Hawaii, then do your other training elsewhere at a later date, too.

ryanbarker747
20th Nov 2008, 16:25
I Know Honolulu Community College Offers a Good PPL Program in DA-40's

Skyworker
21st Nov 2008, 15:26
I got my ATPL with Flight School Hawaii. The guys are real pros. I enjoyed flying with them. Considering Hawaii terrain you`ll never forget the views from above.Honolulu International is pretty buisy place too. So have no doubt, pack your stuff and get there.

ryanbarker747
21st Nov 2008, 16:30
Whats the Price Like in Hawaii, and the name of the flight school?

Skyworker
24th Nov 2008, 16:04
Flight School Hawaii (http://www.flightschoolhawaii.com/)

spudgunjon
24th Nov 2008, 17:29
I flew a scenic flight from a place called Moore Air (PHNL) when I visited Hawaii on holiday back in June, nice planes and great people - the guy I flew with was retired 767 captain for Hawaiian.

Maybe if you do your PPL there you'll become accustomed to it, but I'll never forget the...

"N123ABC report Ford Island for left traffic Rwy 04R"

Moore Air (808-833-5628) (http://www.mooreair.com/)

SNS3Guppy
25th Nov 2008, 06:13
Does anyone know of a flight school in Kona, HI?

There's a school in Kona, and there's a place at the north end of the Island. I don't know the name. I was up there last year and stopped in, but it was closed at the time, as I recall.

I'll be in Honolulu tomorrow morning, but won't have a chance to do much checking because we have a short turn-around, and I have a checkride.

You can try:

Tropicbird Flight Service - Hawaii (http://www.tropicbirdflightservice.com/training.php)

They're located right at Kona International, I believe.

There's a neat little space museum right by the terminal, too. It's the Onizuka Space Center. It's not very big, but I thought, it was interesting, and it's got some neat stuff for kids.

ASTRONAUT ELLISON S. ONIZUKA SPACE CENTER Kona International Airport Kailua Kona Hawaii Big Island Activities Science (http://www.moonchasers.com/onizuka.html)

Droste
3rd Jan 2012, 14:47
I will be vsiting Hawaii in February 2012 and would like to do a little flying over there.

I have a special request. That is, I would like to do a BFR with an FAA Examiner.

Can anybody recommend a flight school that can do this? Kindly send ma private message.

Hodja
3rd Jan 2012, 15:08
Note, in case you're a non-US citizen & require a student visa, only a handful of Hawaii pilot schools are SEVIS approved...

englishal
3rd Jan 2012, 16:27
Just to clarify...... if you have a pilot certificate you don't need visa. And you don't need TSA for a BFR.

172driver
3rd Jan 2012, 21:09
Droste, do you hold an FAA license? If so, you don't need an examiner for a BFR, any instructor can do it. You also don't need a student visa or TSA clearance, the BFR is not classed as flight training.

Droste
4th Jan 2012, 09:50
Note, in case you're a non-US citizen & require a student visa, only a handful of Hawaii pilot schools are SEVIS approved...
I am not US citizen but I definitly do not need student or any visa.

Just to clarify...... if you have a pilot certificate you don't need visa. And you don't need TSA for a BFR.
I have one. I am aware I do not need TSA clearance.

If you have a based-on 61.75 certificate, do you need TSA to do the flight test to make it a permanent one? Just a thought if you're flying a BFR anyway ...
I am licensed.

Droste, do you hold an FAA license? If so, you don't need an examiner for a BFR, any instructor can do it. You also don't need a student visa or TSA clearance, the BFR is not classed as flight training.
I am holder of FAA license. I am fully aware of the above.

My reason to request BFR with an FAA Examiner/Inspector as follow:

Stupid ICAO insist all applicants to have a proficiency check (within 12 calendar months) before requesting for foreign license conversion.

How I wish any CFI can do it but strict foreign aviation authority requires all applicants to have a flight with an FAA examiner or Inspector. (It is the stupid ICAO ruling).

Many US flight schools NOT aware of this! If a flight school has Indian students, the school will know Indian student requires proficiency check (within 12 calendar months) before requesting for foreign license conversion.

E.g. if an applicant has a FAA PPL in 30 Jan 2010, he must have a proficiency check lastest by 29 Jan 2011 inorder to apply for foreign licence conversion.

E.g. if an applicant has an FAA ATP in 30 Jan 1999, he must have a proficiency check within 12 calendar months inorder to apply for foreign licence conversion. Even if he is current and flying B747 as a Captain, he requires a proficiency check by FAA!

By the way, I am not an Indian and I am not flying in India. :E I am in Southeast-Asia now and the nearest I can go is Hawaii or Guam.

Please advise if there is any school in Hawaii can arrange one? Or can anybody recommend one? I can pay any fee to the FAA Examiner.

Hodja
4th Jan 2012, 11:39
I am not US citizen but I definitly do not need student or any visa.

Sorry, I meant for the original poster, who's seeking a PPL in Hawaii...

Rocket2
4th Jan 2012, 12:09
For what it's worth I flew a couple of times with Maui Aviators a few years ago, very friendly bunch & I had a great time there.
R2