PDA

View Full Version : Arik Air A340-500

V1_RHOT8
19th Nov 2008, 04:57
At last, a picture of Arik's new bird. Courtesy of flickr.com:

Flickr Photo Download: Arik Air A345 (F-WJKH) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/denis60/2995941412/sizes/l/)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/denis60/2995941412/sizes/l/

THRidle
28th Nov 2008, 10:34
Whats the latest guy's ?

From memory they should be up and running soon.

Mr. Smith
28th Nov 2008, 18:15
London Mid December, US sometime mid 2009

Rani
28th Nov 2008, 18:33
The way they are entering the market is apalling. Flights are not listed on any CRS, not announced on their own website, and no fixed date with barely two weeks to the alleged launch. They have some nerve. Oh nevermind, they have the cash for it. :cool:

Mr. Smith
28th Nov 2008, 19:43
Unfortunately that's kinda been their M.O. I too think it's ridiculous launching a new route with absolutely no marketing. Then again theyve been burned time and time again announcing a date to launch and it doesn't happen. How many times has Arik Niger been announced to start, yet nothing. All the best to them, but this is clearly not the right approach.

BALEWA
29th Nov 2008, 17:21
Thanks V1_RHOT8..... hmmmmmmmm

Absolutely breathtaking..... so proud, so so proud...... and about time too.

B

THRidle
1st Dec 2008, 02:29
So, Do you think they really have the deep pockets that will be needed to make this work ? :sad:

son of the sand
1st Dec 2008, 03:52
Got a call about an offer on the A345, would be interested to hear from anyone who has accepted the offer.

captain.weird
2nd Dec 2008, 10:03
Offer of what? To buy the plane or to fly as a F/O or Captain?

asacrj
2nd Dec 2008, 14:27
Offer of what? To buy the plane or to fly as a F/O or Captain?

Lol that was funny

THRidle
3rd Dec 2008, 17:07
You're still not helping guy's. For a line captaian thats been offered a job on the 340, do Arik have the money to keep it going more than six months ???

BALEWA
8th Dec 2008, 20:07
"You're still not helping guy's. For a line captaian thats been offered a job on the 340, do Arik have the money to keep it going more than six months ???"

:rolleyes: uuuuhhh hmmm.... please do your research matey....

Mr. Smith
8th Dec 2008, 20:15
You can see Arik's cabin layout (to include Business class Bar/Lounge) for their A340 here. The colour scheme is obviously Kingfisher, Arik probably would have fitted with more seats if it was originally their order.

HI FLY - Aircraft Charter, ACMI/Wet Lease Operations, Series of Full Charter Flights (http://www.hifly.aero/fleetA340.aspx)

nuclear weapon
9th Dec 2008, 07:42
Are these aircraft brand new and where are they planning to be going with them. I think they will be more suited for the North american routes.

NIJASEA
9th Dec 2008, 10:17
Nice toy well done to Arik :D, Nigerian aviation owes Arik a lot for setting a benchmark in getting aircraft :ok:. Hope the standard of maintainance will be kept at a level to be proud of.

737hustler
9th Dec 2008, 19:06
I'm more of a boeing guy but the 345 looked great on the ramp.... Just wondering how long its gonna be on display (rather than flying) for? :hmm: Still, in the current aviation climate with many carriers scaling back and cost cutting, Arik have got a hold of something that is gonna give the majors a run for the money... Well done...

THRidle
9th Dec 2008, 19:21
I heard a rumour, so I guess this is the place for it, that Arik was seriously considering switching to an all Airbus fleet as Boeing had messed them about with the 787.

It seems the Airbus "big bugger" aka " The Dugong" will be paying a flying visit to Lagos.

Sir Osis of the river
9th Dec 2008, 20:09
THRidle,

I would also like to know if they have enough money to keep it going?

I very much doubt it and am willing to bet it wont last a year. It are a big step from CRJ900 to A345.

Anyway, best of luck.

Mr. Smith
10th Dec 2008, 00:02
Sir Osis. Arik is getting Financing from both Nigerian & Foreign banks so your skeptism about them not having enough money is probably misplaced. I think loads will play a big role in if they can maintain these routes there's plenty of demand on their initial london route. Lagos is a city of 15+Million and latest numbers show 4.5million passengers last year. PLENTY of room for growth. I think they will do alot better than people are willing to admit.

Sir Osis of the river
10th Dec 2008, 04:21
Mr Smith,

As I said, best of luck to them. Africa could do witha few more operators of heavy jets. But they dont come cheap.

As a matter of interest, how many 345's are they getting?

bizjetbus
10th Dec 2008, 12:47
Anyone who know if they are still recruiting for the CRJs? If so, would they consider a captain with less then 500 PIC on type? Plenty of other stuff in my log, just missing the PIC hours asked for on type.....

Any help would be appreciated.

bjb

TonyWilliams
10th Dec 2008, 17:25
Anyone who know if they are still recruiting for the CRJs? If so, would they consider a captain with less then 500 PIC on type? Plenty of other stuff in my log, just missing the PIC hours asked for on type.....

I think their insurance dictates the minimums, which probably makes sense as they may still be considered a start-up airline to an insurance company.

But, it costs nothing to apply!! You could get an FO job ?

TonyWilliams
10th Dec 2008, 17:29
I very much doubt it and am willing to bet it wont last a year. It are a big step from CRJ900 to A345.

Wouldn't a B737 fit in there ?

Also, I don't believe the A340's will be owned or operated by Arik. Purely a contract arrangement.

THRidle
10th Dec 2008, 21:03
I think they are owned by Arik and operated by a company called Hifly

Mr. Smith
11th Dec 2008, 00:43
Sir Osis, they will be getting 3, one more in Jan 09 and the last in March 09. They start Heathrow ops on Dec 15th and one can expect fares to drop. The prices Virgin Atlantic & BA charge are astronomical.

jaalal
11th Dec 2008, 06:53
Hi i heard they are recruiting for long haul here in london.
Whats the requirement and would they employ a Nigeria living here in the uk and have over 3yrs flying xperience as a cabin crew .

Oh and are they still recruiting.

cheers.

nuclear weapon
12th Dec 2008, 10:50
can anyone say for certain how many hours they are asking for on the airbuses.

caveokay
12th Dec 2008, 12:50
2 former kingfisher acft already have been repainted with seating and cabin modifications done as well at orly in october
they both departed to toulouse in early november

atedo
12th Dec 2008, 14:36
Confirm you mean the next two A345 of Arik are not brand new?:confused:

Mr. Smith
12th Dec 2008, 15:53
Depends on your definition of brand new. If you mean "never used" in revenue flight then they are brand new.

BALEWA
15th Dec 2008, 02:26
A340 will perform its first revenue flight out of Heathrow Terminal 2 today to Lagos :D

Looks like Arik counters are right next to Bellview's at Terminal 2, two Nigerian carriers eh..uuhhh...oh why not!

ranklein
15th Dec 2008, 16:21
Guys..

anyone work/ed there? Any info on how it is?
Mainly..is it safe to live there?

Cheers!

jagunmolu
15th Dec 2008, 17:10
Guys;Mighty glad this has come to fruition,i just hope that the naija syndrome of nonpayment for services rendered does not rear its head in this so called High Profile operations ,rumour has it that there are fat bills all over the wings overhead naija and that gives me the shivers.But i sincerely hope (GOD) sorry i mean Almighty Chairman will get his priorities right this time around.I am sincerely proud that this has become a reality and pray that the funding continues to flow ala naija styleee,'THOMAS' go to bed 'LOL'.Goodluck:D:DLest i forget Touts a la travel agents are having a field day with fares ,that have not been publicised despite the great publicity fanfare.Methinks we need to know the PRICES promotional/non competitive ,kudos:cool:

THRidle
19th Dec 2008, 23:24
Has anybody any idea how the first flight went ??

TonyWilliams
20th Dec 2008, 06:40
Arik Air begins maiden flight to London
Written by Kenneth Ehigiator
Tuesday, 16 December 2008
Arik Air began its maiden flight to London from the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, yesterday in its new Airbus A340-500 aircraft, with a promise to compete favourably with existing carriers on the Lagos-London Heathrow route.
At present, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic Airways, Virgin Njigeria Airways and Bellview Airlines are the carriers currently operating direct flight service on the route.

The flight, after the necessary airport formalities, took off exactly 12:37pm, after taxing away for take off at noon and was expected to land at Heathrow Terminal 2 at 5:30pm.

Check-in for the maiden flight, flight W3001, had flagged off at 8:00am and terminated 90 minutes before departure to ensure that guests had sufficient time for immigration and Customs formalities as well as screening.

Vanguard gathered that the flight was filled to capacity, as a corporate body had bought off all the Business Class seats.

On board, Arik Air is offering a spacious layout on the new A340-500 aircraft in an enhanced 36 fully lie-flat ‘seat bed’ in their Business First cabin (Premier cabin), and 201 seats in Economy Class, offering more comfort and legroom than any airline on this route.

Other new features on board the aircraft included in-seat massager and a bar and lounge area for Premier passengers to socialize and relax, mood lighting, audio and video on demand IFE in both cabins and large personal monitor screens.

It also offers extra wide Premier seats and 50% more leg room in the Economy cabin, gourmet cuisine and a mix of Nigerian and International cabin crew added to a host of other comforts and luxury offered in the cabin.

Airk Air’s General Manager Sales & Marketing, Suraj Sundaram, said the airline was offering flexible ticket fares which would enable its international passengers from different parts of the country connect the Lagos-London flight without paying extra to get to Lagos from their places of residence.

He said: “As a reward to our valued guests, Arik Air is offering flexible ticket fares which will enable those travelling on Arik Air from our other hubs, Abuja and Port Harcourt, to fly free to Lagos to connect our Lagos -London flight.

“In essence, this is a saving of approximately $300, since they will only be paying the Lagos to London fare. For guests travelling from other parts of the country, we are offering lower fares to Lagos, substantially discounted from our standard fares as an added incentive.

“We believe that our guests deserve better value if they are travelling international on Arik Air and we are best suited to offer this through our network of 18 airports in the region.”

Arik Air was designated to fly London and Atlanta, U.S. route by the Federal Government about two years ago, but the airline management announced recently that it would add New York to its route network because of the large volume of Nigerians resident in the city.

Managing Director of the airline, Mr. Mike McTighe, had told newsmen shortly before it took delivery of the first of three Airbus A340-500 planes that it would serve Nigerian and inter-continental menu on board its flight.

He also said passengers aboard the flight would have access to live Cable News Network (CNN) as well as DSTV sports braodcast.

AVSEC
20th Dec 2008, 23:38
Good luck ARIK AIR

THRidle
21st Dec 2008, 07:13
Absolutly.

Thanks for the info. T.W.