PDA

View Full Version : Help plz!!!!!!!!

thegreatone91
18th Nov 2008, 15:27
Hi,
I am a 17 year old glider pilot and doing my A- level at my sixth form. I want to become an airline pilot but there are so many different ways of becoming one.:eek: I would like some expert opinions on the cheapest and best ways of which routes to take. As I don’t no whether to go to Uni. to do a degree and take the module route or the integrated way. As I was thinking of applying to the OAA, but the tuition fee’s is over £66,000!!!!!!!!!!.......:bored:........... Plz can any one help
Brady.

VFR Transit
18th Nov 2008, 15:43
Not another Afraz please....... :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Try Here http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/131649-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html

If you can't find any answers to your questions in that thread, the post on here and we will all help.

VFR

Streety
18th Nov 2008, 15:45
Start here...

Archive Reference Threads and Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE YOU POST A QUESTION!! (http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/251490-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html)

mix in a healthy portion of

Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/335548-growing-evidence-upturn-upon-us.html)

and sprinkle with a bit of

So where are all the jobs then? (http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/284418-so-where-all-jobs-then.html)

Slow cook for a few years and serve.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Nov 2008, 15:47
Flying High (http://www.raes.org.uk/cmspage.asp?cmsitemid=Careers_AeroCareers_FlyingHigh)

Or for that matter, several million other websites.

G

Lew747
18th Nov 2008, 17:01
Not another Afraf please....... :ugh::ugh::ugh:

LMAO!! :ok: Brilliant :}:}:}:E

Whirlygig
18th Nov 2008, 18:39
There's cheapest and there's best; the two are mutually exclusive!!

The choice HAS to be yours as no-one else has exactly your situation or circumstances. Read the integrated v modular thread; in fact, there are many threads you need to read. Download LASORS from the CAA website; this will give you thee rules.

Cheers

Whirls

GIZZAJOB
18th Nov 2008, 20:04
VFR Transit , I think you hit the nail on the head , its him he's back , the OCD Thread Starter:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Shunter
18th Nov 2008, 20:29
My advice is pretty much always the same...

Get your PPL. By the time you've done that you'll have a much better idea of what you want, and will have learnt plenty along the way. You will have spent a modest sum (in the context of the bigger picture), and you've got yourself an entry pass to one of the finest recreational pursuits known to man.

Going integrated (considering the current market) is stupidity personified. Certain FTOs will tell you it's money well spent, now is the right time to train.... just don't. Get your PPL and play it by ear. Modular = options & flexibility.

AlphaMale
18th Nov 2008, 21:19
Go to Uni and that will be the backbone for your 'back up career'.

Join the UAS and get some cheap/free flying, in the summer you'll have around 12 weeks off which is plenty of time to get your PPL.

If you do your PPL at the end of the your 1st year at Uni you could either get a full time job during the 2nd>3rd year break to save money and that would go toward your ATPL GS when you graduate from Uni.

If you do your hour building throughout Uni you could very well be in a position to start your ATPL GS part time upon graduation. Get yourself a full time job in the area your did your degree (IT for example) ... earn say £17k-£22k while doing your ATPL exams.

You could then be in a position of having a BSc/BA in IT/Engineering etc a year or two of experience in that field before taking some time off to complete the expensive part of the training (CPL, MEIR & MCC).

You could be 24 years old with a degree and a fATPL if you put your mind to it. It's not going to be an easy ride and you might not get a FO position then, but what you could always do is fall back onto your degree and experience in your field in order to put food on the table and keep a roof over your head.

Good luck and remember to read the sticky, there is plenty of good information there.

Afraz
18th Nov 2008, 21:20
GIZZAJOB your wrong i'm not thegreatone91:p. I have only one account on PPRUNE, thats enough! I also LMAO when a previous 'poster' posted something along the lines of oh no not another Afraf! If you're gonna defame my name at least spell my name properly!:ok:

BelArgUSA
18th Nov 2008, 21:24
I would recommend the RAF or the RN, for FTO.
Excellent training, jets, helicopters, VC-10s, L-1011s.
Some openings at Kabul base. Maybe Bagram as well.
And nothing to pay, no fATPL required, or even CPL/IR.
They feed you, and PAY you.
:E
Happy contrails

student88
18th Nov 2008, 23:21
Hey,

Keep up the gliding - its great experience and good flying (really teaches you the fundamentals of flying and will put you in good stead for the future). Now I left school 6 months into 6th form but now at the age of 20 I'm back studying for my A Levels so naturally I'm going to suggest you keep up the hard work at Sixth Form and try your best to get good grades. When you're finished at college re assess the situation. Getting a PPL in the UK as you may know is very expensive and unless you have wealthy parents or a grandparent who bleeds cash it can be very hard for someone your age to fund the cost of the course. I wouldnt suggest you get into debt for the PPL. The gliding is showing your interest in flying and is already teaching you things like airmanship and air law, basic RT - to be honest, I've done my PPL and kinda regret doing it so soon as now I'm back at college it's expensive to maintain (I don't want to fly once a year). Always have something to fall back on, try to see through the glossy attractive nature of OAA as they're basically overpriced for what they give you. Depending on who you are the RAF may attract you. If it does you've got until you're 23, pleanty of time to go to University and get a degree in something that may help you in the future (you might wish to become a management pilot) and depending where you go you may be able to join the University Air Squadron. RAF - University Air Squadrons (http://www.universityairsquadrons.com/)

Good luck and I hope your choices work out for you.