PDA

View Full Version : 'Link' Type simulator available

starflex fixer
18th Nov 2008, 12:34
Hi All,

I am after a little bit of research; I have a 'link type' trainer which is very good for situational awareness training, and excellent for instrument flying prep, it is full motion, with a seperate control station.

My question is, for the right price (c£25,000) in all your gentle peeps humble opinion, would an FTO be interested in such a device. Also if there was enough interest we would look at hourly hire - any idea if there would be any interest?

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light!

SFF

Genghis the Engineer
18th Nov 2008, 15:43
I doubt it - it's not a certified synthetic training device - so the hours can't be logged, a PC based training package can be had for a lot less money, and most aircraft museums have got a Link trainer in the corner somewhere if anybody wanted to borrow it.

G

starflex fixer
18th Nov 2008, 20:16
Thanks for your thoughts GTE, by saying 'Link type' I have thrown you a little off the scent. You're right, it is not a certified device so not loggable.

It was used by the MoD for disorientation training, as an introduction to flying with instruments, and also for a brief intro to night flying. It is a full motion sim, but I just wondered what avenues may be possible with it?

SFF

Genghis the Engineer
18th Nov 2008, 20:56
It's still, I think, the case that nobody's likely to be awfully interested if the time's not loggable.

The cheapest (probably only) route to making the time loggable is to get the device certified as compliant with JAR-STD 4a (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/368252.pdf), which is the lowest form of life that just about qualifies as a flight simulator.

I've certainly seen some rather basic devices gain this level of approval, so if you've already got the expensive asset it may be worth talking to the CAA about gaining that level of approval. You'll certainly need a relationship with a training school who want to use it within their approvals (for CPL or IMC/IR training). If you already own said expensive device, it's probably worth a few days of your time to explore the possibility.

The motion system, incidentally, is most likely NOT an asset. For STD3a and STD4a standard sims, it's not a requirement and I know one motion sim certified in I think the 3a category, where the CAA required the motion disabled for approval purposes. (Much more important, and rightly so, is representative handling qualities.)

G