PDA

View Full Version : Goose Down

Rollingthunder
17th Nov 2008, 15:44
Sad to report a Grumman Goose belonging to Pacific Coastal Airlines has crashed on Thormanby Island just north of YVR. 7 people have died, one survivor.

Last August another Goose owned by Pacific coastal crashed killing 5, 2 survivors.

There remain 5 Goose registered in Canada, 4 with Pac Coastal.

Canadapilot
17th Nov 2008, 16:49
I'd be surprised if we see any more PASCO float operations from now on.

CaptW5
17th Nov 2008, 17:17
Actually two people survived the August crash.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=2830753d-e445-4624-8b59-324f988fce6f

May they rest in peace. My condolences to the families.

Newforest2
17th Nov 2008, 21:30
As reported.:uhoh:

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/351279-7-dead-pacific-coastal-airlines-crash.html

connies4ever
18th Nov 2008, 09:43
CanadaPilot writes:

I'd be surprised if we see any more PASCO float operations from now on.

Why ? We have no cause given for the August accident, let alone the current one. PCA have had an excellent record for float ops until now, so lets wait and see what the reports indicate.

PCA is a very close-knit group, my cousins' fiance flew Saabs for them (now at AC) and at Christmas I would always get the latest news from him. I am sure he will have more to add this year.

Condolences to the families of the victims.

PaperTiger
18th Nov 2008, 16:21
CADORS:The Pacific Coastal Airlines Grumman G21, VFR Vancouver (CYVR) to Powell River (CYPW), departed Special VFR (SVFR) at 1812Z, Code 0775 on a flight to CYPW and then Toba Inlet. The Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) called the Area Control Centre at approximately 1841Z to advise that they received a call from a concerned citizen who thought he heard an aircraft crash in the fog near Thormanby Island (SpyGlass Hill - 49 29.6N 123 58.0W). RCC advised a DH5 Buffalo and Cormorant Helicopter had been dispatched from Comox. There was no ELT activity. The ACC was informed by the RCC at 2250Z that the crash site had been found. The Transportation Safety Board will be on site Monday morning along with the coroner. One survivor was airlifted to the hospital and 7 fatalities were confirmed by the RCC.

UPDATE from System Safety: When the crash site was located at Thormanby Island by Search and Rescue (SAR) Technicians, the wreckage was ablaze and the technicians were unable to extinguish the fire. The weather was reported to be foggy and deteriorating. It is being reported that one passenger survived and hiked to the island shoreline where SAR retrieved and transported to the area hospital. Seven fatalities were confirmed by the RCC. The TSB is planning on deploying to the crash site Monday morning when weather permits. A Minister's Observer has been assigned to assist the TSB in their investigation.

UPDATE from RCC Victoria: Thormanby Island Crash (492940N 1235850W). Reports received of abruptly ending engine sounds followed by metal "crunching sounds" on Thormanby Island. A Communication Search was initiated with no corresponding ELT, high flying reports, overdue flight plans or missing aircraft. One hour later Pacific Coastal Airlines reported overdue amphibious plane with 8 persons on board. The CF Cormorant 909, Buffalo 452, CCGHC Siyay, and CGA Auxiliary 12 were tasked. PEP GSAR, EHS, and the RCMP were alerted. One survivor walked out to shore and was picked up by Auxiliary 12. The case is ongoing.

No 'speculation' from me, but you can probably draw your own conclusions. :oh: