PDA

View Full Version : Late Starter

Pitot Tube
17th Nov 2008, 13:12
Anyone got an INFORMED opinion on this:

I am a 45 year old PPL holder and I am intending commencing an integrated course in New Zealand in Jan 2010 which means I won't qualify much before my 48th birthday!

Am I being realistic in blowing my children's inheritance on flying training with the hope of getting into the RHS at my age with low hours?

Great site, keep 'em coming, the insight is invaluable.

dwshimoda
17th Nov 2008, 16:35
You're not too old. Read the thread 'Am I too old?'. Loads of info there!

Dunno - two years ago I would have agreed. In this current climate though, I would do lots and lots of research and be entirely honest with yourself before you decide.

I have only been working in this field for four months, have already seen friends and colleagues let go, and fully expect it to happen to me within the next 6 months.

There will be a glut of experienced and semi-experienced pilots for years to come - just as you complete your training. Why not go modular, save a bit of the kids inheritance, and take a little longer in doing it?

Read the thread on which WWW is most vocal - not everyone agrees, but those in the know do...

Good luck whatever you do.

IrishJetdriver
17th Nov 2008, 19:08
A good mate of mine then aged 45 started his commercial training in 1998. He had around 1500hrs, was an aerobatic display pilot and owned his own Pitts Special.

September 11 came along, and no job opportunities. He has now given up all flying including as a passenger and has lost all the investment.

This downturn is worse because it is the whole system that has collapsed. I truly believe that the investment now, unless you can truly afford to lose the lot and not be bitter would a very big big mistake. You have to be able to look wife/kids in the eye if it doesn't work out and the money is forever gone.

It is heart wrenching to turn your back on a dream, but it doesn't stop you flying. Do your PPL, and enjoy your flying without the spectre of massive expenditure peering over your shoulder.

If you do decide to do it, I wish you luck. Enjoy the training because it could be the last enjoyable part of your pursuit of your dream.

Sorry this is so depressing, but that is how I see it.

Flying Farmer
17th Nov 2008, 19:12
I did the CPL/IR aged 40, got my first airline job at 44.

Drop me a PM with a number we can have a full and frank convo about it !

Daria if you are already flying in the commercial envirnoment you should know better than to post such twaddle!

Just an edit to add looking at Darias posts shes 16 and wants to become a pilot :ugh:

Daria and the rest of you who are not in employment in commercial aviation please refrain from answering these questions you have no idea how the system works until you you are in it!

IrishJetdriver
17th Nov 2008, 20:55
What happened before is history. Forget it. Now is what matters. Of course people can and do get lucky but at age 48 in this market my money would be on it not working out.

I too was very lucky and changed career at age 36, just before 9/11. if I hadn't got lucky then I have absolutely no doubt I would still be working in London.

2 years ago I got a direct entry command with Ryanair, with 519hrs medium jet command time AND Ryanair paid for the Type Rating even though I hadn't flown Boeing before. If I was in the same position now ? Completely different. I wouldn't get the DEC and I would have to pay for the TR (if FR were recruiting, which they're not)

As I said before, if you can afford to lose the money and hold your head high with no regrets, then why not try it.

The people who are in the airlines know the score. If they've been around a while then even better.