PDA

View Full Version : CPL & IR AT DIFFERENT FTO's

Phenom100
17th Nov 2008, 09:12
I'm ready to start CPL and IR in the new year and just wondering if i can do CPL at one FTO and IR at another

Is this going to cause a problem for me later on, when trying to get a job? or should i just stick to the one FTO for both CPL & IR?

Your thoughts and comments much appreciated

:ok:

fibod
17th Nov 2008, 17:46
Hello Danny

You may do each of the modular courses at a different FTO:

CPL
IR
MEP(L) Class Rating
Theoretical Knowledge
and, if you need it, MCC

The majority with do the CPL, IR and MEP at one FTO. It won't cause you any problems doing them at different FTOs, but I'd have thought it might make it a little more challenging to get used to different aircraft, airports, operating procedures and instructors, not to mention the hassle of finding different places to stay, etc.

I'm not 100% up to date on the commercial aspects, but I suspect that if you look closely at the courses offered there are incentives offered for doing the 'full suite' at one FTO.

With regard to an employers' view, they might ask why you moved around a lot. That is because people who struggle with their training often do that; presumably on the assumption that they can improve their performance by moving (which is usually not the case). However, if you have a good reason I cannot see why it should be an issue.

Why are you considering it?

MIKECR
17th Nov 2008, 19:07
Danny,

Certain operators DO have an issue with number of FTO's attended. Flybe being one of them for example. In their recruitment campaign earlier this year it was clearly sated in the application process that they preferred applicants to have attended only a limited number of schools. I cant quite remember what the exact wording was though.

As for cost, fibod makes a good point. If you stick to the one FTO for CPL/IR and MCC you might get some discount. I've seen a number of places advertising free MCC if you do the CPL and IR with them. Worth considering, you could certainly save a few grand.

Phenom100
17th Nov 2008, 21:40
Thanks for your replys guys,

im considering doing a Multi Engine CPL on DA42 (18hrs DA40 & 10hrs DA42)at Shoreham with Flying Time as l live nearby, so free housing. Plus with weather situations in winter, I can be sitting at home rather than in some box room waiting for the weather to improve at £20.00 per day
Also, i have done all of my hour building from here so know the area/airport well for CPL

With regards to the IR i was thinking Stapleford (DA42)

OR OPTION 2

Do all the above at Stapleford (cost approx £2,500 more)