PDA

View Full Version : CHC Thailand

rileyemi
17th Nov 2008, 03:13
As of today still no confirmation of Chevron's commitment to CHC Thailand after year's end. Things are getting a little somber not only at the base level but at H/O in YVR. Could about 100 pilots, engineers and support staff be looking for new jobs come the new year? Maybe after 17 years with CHC Chevron thinks its time for a blood transfusion? Only time will tell and times getting short. Maybe Bristow, Cougar, maybe someone we don't know will come up with a proposal that rocks Chevron and the changes are made.

Time to update the resume? Still no new delivery of new a/c to Thailand, no new hanger facilities, it will be interesting in the next few months. Not a betting person but my monies on big changes.

Stay tune.

RM:confused:

industry insider
17th Nov 2008, 09:54
Contract award not until the end of the year apparently. Competition is Si Chang and Bristow partnership versus TAS

No rumors about which way it will go yet, its still open I think.

Tynecastle
17th Nov 2008, 12:45
If the contract is due at the end of this year they don't have much time to get another operator up and running by January, I would say CHC and their Thai partner probably have it.

cyclicoyibo
17th Nov 2008, 18:59
Guys,

Just heard today that it's going to be difficult for the Bristow operation here in Nigeria to get support for the S76 fleet as all resources are going into getting the first four C++'s ready for Thailand. Good luck!

Cyclic.

SASless
18th Nov 2008, 01:58
no new delivery of new a/c to Thailand, no new hanger facilities

The story of Bristow overseas....zero investment in infrastructure and fly helicopters till they die.

tistisnot
18th Nov 2008, 04:09
Just heard today Bristow will be short of pilots in Nigeria as they will all be begging for transfers to Thailand

unstable load
18th Nov 2008, 05:30
According to someone at Heli-None if CHC don't get the cotract then they will lease the new C++'s to whoever does. :ouch:

Super 61
19th Nov 2008, 02:09
I'm not sure where your info comes from, but my assessment of CHC's mood in YVR and regionally is far from "sombre". I think TAS have it. :ok:

unstable load
19th Nov 2008, 02:23
Super61,
I'm not sure where your info comes from, but my assessment of CHC's mood in YVR and regionally is far from "sombre". I think TAS have it. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

I certainly hope so, my man!!

Feelings on the ground are more sombre, possibly due to nothing more than "a good feeling that we have it" as an aside in an e-mail from higher up in the food chain to us minnions who scurry around in the mud at the bottom of the pond.

The same source who told me about the H-1 decision also said that First Reserve has decreed that no new ships will be sent UNTIL a decision is made re the contract.
Maybe it would be easier to paint them in SiChang colours in Vancouver than in GOT..........:sad::sad:

industry insider
19th Nov 2008, 06:44
Unstable

Not necessary to paint them in Si Chang colors because Si Chang won't lease from Heli None, they will lease from their partner, Bristow under a TSA.

Bristow already have the aircraft for the contract (if successful) so won't need to lease any from HN either.

I don't think the deal is done yet for either TAS or SFS.

Outwest
19th Nov 2008, 12:13
Bristow already have the aircraft for the contract (if successful) so won't need to lease any from HN either.

I have it from a pretty reliable source that this is not the case. Actually Bristow/Si Chang have asked for a one year dispensation to allow time to get the aircraft specified in the contract ( 76 C++, less than 5 years old)

The same source who told me about the H-1 decision also said that First Reserve has decreed that no new ships will be sent UNTIL a decision is made re the contract.

That is company policy, no assets moved until ink on paper. They have been burned one to many times in the past.

SARBlade
21st Nov 2008, 09:24
Just to add fuel to the flame, Chevron has agreed to pay for mobilization of 76C++. The birds are in process of being readied for Thailand, in red, white, and blue, but with no company logo. No word here in UTapao as to contract being awarded, but as the deadline looms closer, it will be difficult for Si Chang (Bristow) to get pilots, AME and support staff in place by then. Short term contract could be tendered for a short period of time with TAS/CHC until successful company is ready to take over. With current world financial position, IMHO, Chevron is looking to have companies sharpen pencil and duke it out a bit. TAS/CHC has two bases with Si Chang operating out of one. Chevron proposes to build central base that would service entire Gulf. With oil prices being down, will they build this new base, or leave things as they are. Si Chang has no base in the north, so can they be in a postion to service entire field? Again IMHO, Chevron is posturing to have TAS/CHC bring a humble offer to the table. I hope not, oil prices won't continue to drop in the forceable future. Once the winter is over in the northern hemisphere, watch prices start to climb again.

Outwest
21st Nov 2008, 10:06
The Chevron field in the Gulf of Thailand is a GAS field, the majority of Thailands electricity is generated by natural gas. There is very very little oil in the field, so the price of crude is irrelevant.

SARBlade
21st Nov 2008, 12:27
Its all relative to energy, matters not whether GOT is gas or not. Its economics, there is more to Chevron's bottom line than a small gas field, price of oil means everything to them, hence, they won't spend the capital if they are bleeding elsewhere.

Outwest
21st Nov 2008, 22:37
You are correct that Chevron Thailand is only one small part of the whole global operation and your point is taken.

However, my point was that the helicopter operation/contract in GOT is under the Chevron Thailand Operation and they have long term contracts and fixed prices for the sale of the gas to the Gov't of Thailand, so not quite so attached to the current roller coaster ride of crude price.

Also, although we wish it were different, compared to the rest of the operation, e.g. supply boats, rigs, manpower, etc. the helicopter operation is a very very small portion of the budget.

they won't spend the capital if they are bleeding elsewhere.

Got quite a chuckle out of that statement, they are hardly bleeding at $50/barrel, they are still making a VERY good profit. At $150 the profits were criminal!!

jonwilly
21st Nov 2008, 22:44
There is a substantial amount of oil recovered off Thailand, but gas is the main product.
john

unstable load
22nd Nov 2008, 00:43
According to Drilling Contractor magazine July/August 2008, Chevron drills 40% of their global footage in GOT, so regardless of whether it's oil or gas or both, the sector is dynamic and busy meaning that Helicopters will be a vital aspect of the next few years.

If Chevron is engaging in posturing as put forward in an earlier post and if it is true that SiChang/Bristow has aircraft problems then it's possible that Chevron are simply going through the motions.

As a member of the bottom feeding pondscum it matters little who gets the contract. If the incumbents lost the contract but keep their guys and move them to other jobs they will be sorted and if the new guys hire them on instead, they will still have jobs and all it will mean is a different colour tent is erected and the circus plays on.

Outwest
22nd Nov 2008, 02:42
they will still have jobs and all it will mean is a different colour tent is erected and the circus plays on.

True enough....and that applies everywhere, pax still need to go offshore, just might not be in red,white and blue airplanes.

Since this is a rumor network, the latest being cast about is that Chevron has put the move to Nakon Si on hold.......

platong king
22nd Nov 2008, 06:03
My friend works for Chevron Thailand in Bangkok and he tells me it is all but official, the move to Nakhon has been shelved permanently, due various reasons. The new contract will now have to be completely amended to reflect continued ops at the current base locations, hence the delay in any announcement being made.

unstable load
22nd Nov 2008, 10:20
Well, I for one am not sorry that Nakhon Si Tammarat is off the menu.
Now we just need to sit back and see who actually gets the job, or does it mean yet another uniform change:zzz::zzz::uhoh:

malabo
22nd Nov 2008, 15:44
Heard "Mr Teeth" was dusting off his hotel in preparation for the new era. I wouldn't be holding my breath hoping for a change of uniform - I doubt Cougar wants to taint its pool with the sullen and disaffected.

unstable load
23rd Nov 2008, 00:27
If dusting off the hotel means changing the pool from green to blue, then yes.:D:D

Outwest
26th Nov 2008, 03:26
Ok, need some clarification......the only "Mr. Teeth" I know of is DM. The only guy I know of who has a hotel in Thailand is PB.........can you enlighten me?

unstable load
26th Nov 2008, 10:23
Taxidriver009,

officially communicated to all,

All except me, seeing as I don't have a clue what you're on about. Unless of course it's none of my beezkneez.

Like my kids would say, " Sharing is caring". So, care to share??

Taxidriver009
27th Nov 2008, 08:32
Unstable Load,

Said too much already, but your question is my point exactly. Wrong forum to sort out the important stuff and I'm trusting the correct people are doing their thing to rectify the situation. If you don't mind I will leave it at that!

the delaminator
29th Nov 2008, 04:40
Ok, need some clarification......the only "Mr. Teeth" I know of is DM. The only guy I know of who has a hotel in Thailand is PB.........can you enlighten me?

Ha Ha . As you very well know DM is MR. Eyebrows and PB is a bush pilot at VIH.

You dated yourself dude...........but as you say Old guys rule.

Outwest
29th Nov 2008, 05:47
You dated yourself dude...........but as you say Old guys rule.

When did I say that??? ;) :D.............man oh man, been in this business waaaay too long, but not as long as you ;)

the delaminator
2nd Dec 2008, 02:18
On a slightly different topic. How is the closing of Bangkok airport affection crew rotations from paradise on the gulf.

Outwest
2nd Dec 2008, 08:27
Some crews coming and going via Malaysia, some taking ET......the worst problem is getting parts, so far no AOG's but if that happens could be a problem.

inputshaft
2nd Dec 2008, 10:30
Also the offshore schedule has been slower over the last few days, obviously Chevron are having trouble moving their people around as well.

unstable load
2nd Dec 2008, 12:07
Also the offshore schedule has been slower over the last few days

I thought offshore was always slower in a 61?:E

inputshaft
2nd Dec 2008, 12:31
Of course!! Sufficient time has to be set aside to allow full enjoyment of our excellent dining facilities.

the delaminator
2nd Dec 2008, 23:52
Of course!! Sufficient time has to be set aside to allow full enjoyment of our excellent dining facilities.

Would you like a little Pad Thai with that Whine???

unstable load
3rd Dec 2008, 01:45
I Like it!:D:D

Outwest
3rd Dec 2008, 03:21
He wasn't whining......he was bragging :ok:

platong king
3rd Dec 2008, 14:44
Latest word out of Bangkok has CHC/TAS being "extended" for one year. Still no word on awarding of contract, but one has to conclude it's not looking good for CHC in the long term. Having said that, one has to question how Bristow/Si Chang are/could find the necessary staff, should they in fact be awared the contract. This, however, might lend some weight to CHC/TAS being extended. Gotta like it. :E

integrity
3rd Dec 2008, 16:25
Read it all with interest, but...
For those of us not in the know re Thai gulf ops (but with a solid background in offshore), which door do we go knockin on for a look-see? Anyone care to share a best contact?

And for that matter, what is the gig like? Nice accom? good legs to fly? etc etc

Your less coded covert replies would be appreciated. I'm getting too old to deceipher it all.

Cheers, I.

unstable load
4th Dec 2008, 00:12
platong king,

Well, a year extension if true is better than a loss right now. It would be nice though to see something on a letterhead just to formalise it all. As for the long term, I hear you there, sadly.:{

Bristow/Si Chang may well pick up a few members from CHC if they lose the job because CHC already has an "unassigned" list of guys being paid to sit at home on basic. Personally, I would far sooner be working than sat at home even if it were on full pay and if my current boss can't keep me busy then I will need to find a new one.:ok:

Deiced
4th Dec 2008, 05:18
Regardless of who gets the work the winning company will need staff. Experienced crews have the best advantage to be snapped up. I am curious who pays better? Bristow or CHC? Who would the crew be better off with?

check
4th Dec 2008, 07:55
The one that gets the contract pays the best

unstable load
4th Dec 2008, 09:05
Indeed, check:D

Deiced
4th Dec 2008, 12:29
Good point!

Plakstift
4th Dec 2008, 13:19
Does Bristow pay in USD?

Deiced
5th Dec 2008, 13:28
I have heard their International Ops pay in USD. After all this is what the oil companies pay them.

Deiced
10th Dec 2008, 02:30
Calm before the storm. Get your African visa's in order!

platong king
10th Dec 2008, 09:33
Calm before the storm??? Hardly, what with all those spanky new C++'s inbound to SKL and UTP, we'll all be here for a very loooooooong time...........:E

No really .

Taxidriver009
11th Dec 2008, 00:38
Nakhon cancelled.........for good
My friend works for Chevron Thailand in Bangkok and he tells me it is all but official, the move to Nakhon has been shelved permanently, due various reasons. The new contract will now have to be completely amended to reflect continued ops at the current base locations, hence the delay in any announcement being made.

All makes sense now! New C++'s number were calculated for operating from Nakhon Si.............the new contract need to include 139's not "needed" in Kazahkstan, to replace 61's when they finally leave..........:E

If that's not juicy .....

platong king
11th Dec 2008, 05:07
Haha, brilliant!!! The missing piece of the Glass House puzzle. :}

And here we were, all worried we'd never see the 139 on our licenses. Where do i sign??? :E

Deiced
13th Dec 2008, 03:20
Good rumor but not true. C++'s enroute and Nakhon a bit delayed and still on track.
No 139's for you!!

Taxidriver009
13th Dec 2008, 04:25
Damn, why corrupt such a good rumour with unnecessary facts......

platong king
13th Dec 2008, 04:35
Awe sh!t, there goes my trip to Italy.........

Outwest
13th Dec 2008, 07:49
Awe sh!t, there goes my trip to Italy.........

139 sim in Philadelphia now......no more Italy trips :(

BOOMER1
21st Dec 2008, 22:16
Hot off the press today, just learned that CHC indeed won the Chevron contract in Thailand!

zalt
21st Dec 2008, 22:24
But for how long?;)

030Outbound
21st Dec 2008, 23:36
Although the final details are being worked out and the contract is "in the bag", it actually has not been signed yet.

The current contract expires Dec.31, so TAS has granted a 30 day extension (at the new terms) to allow for last minute revisions.

The new contract is for 5 years with an option of 2 one year extensions.

The new contract is divided up into 2 segments, pre-Nakon and post Nakon.

Pre-Nakon will be for 4-S76's C+ or C++'s and one S61
Post-Nakon will be for 7-S76 C++'s

The move to Nakon has been tentatively set for Feb. 2010

The reason for this? As another poster mentioned, the price of oil.....Chevron Thailand told to par down their costs and also Chevron will be reducing the number of rigs in the gulf, so no need for as many a/c.

Good news for all the staff and crews at TAS. Congrats to all.

unstable load
21st Dec 2008, 23:42
Call me a cynic, but I still want to see a signed contract before I believe that one.

inputshaft
22nd Dec 2008, 05:29
How could you!! 030Outbound was only quoting what was told directly to him by one of our own capable, trustworthy managers. :hmm:

platong king
22nd Dec 2008, 08:47
Trustworthy and Managers in the same sentence, gonna have to think about that!!! :ouch:

I'm with unstable load on this one, won't believe a thing until I see it signed, sealed and delivered.

030Outbound, great handle by the way!!! :ok:

unstable load
22nd Dec 2008, 12:28
A refresher for the cynics in our midst.

Hot off the presses is the one that says the extension will take us to the Nakhon move in 2010 when Bristow will take over in keeping with the already living breathing story that Chevron wants all their eggs in one basket for aviation operations.
Seeing as Bristow apparently already tried the one to get the 5 year old aircraft rule waived in their favour, the thlot starts to picken as that would give them time to source the necessary hardware.

I wonder what the boys at Heli Malongo think of that one?:hmm:

Outwest
22nd Dec 2008, 12:37
As far as I understand, the extension is only for a month. The whole before Nahkon, after Nahkon thing is part of the 5 year contract. At least that was how I heard it.......course that was after a few Red Labels.......

rileyemi
30th Dec 2008, 13:35
Since I started this threat I have stood on the sidelines and watched and read and listened to all and have had a good chuckle along the way. But here is the straight goods. As of today Dec 29, 2008 rumours aside, he said she said, etc etc etc, there has been absolutely nothing said to any of the employees that at least fly the line over here in Thailand about anything. This to me is really how small CHC Thailand Management and YVR must think of us, the little guys (and girls) that work in the trenches.

Were all just minions at the whim of management to do what they please with and they wonder why people leave Thailand, no its not the greatest place to work, $40.00 per diem Canadian per day, hell they were getting $25.00 US twenty years ago and HO just figures, hell I don't know what they figure. BC promised new per diems on par with Canadian Gov't rates during his last visit here. MY MY MY how talk is cheap.

Still absolutely not one word from Management about Chevron of any type and the contract ends in two days. Well you know what they say about mushrooms.

Taxidriver009
31st Dec 2008, 10:08
You must remember it is the festive season, and although there are some of us in the threnches, management are enjoying blissfull holidays with family and friends. Does the following look familiar?

"Unfortunately I will be out of the office until $% Jan 09. Any urgent matters please contact blah blah blah........"

A well informed friend once noted:

"What is the use of spending years working yourself into a position of power, and not abuse it?"

Hence empty management offices over this time of year.

........and we will definately have an answer in two weeks.......promise..... ..no genuine........trust me.........come on...........ye right!:ugh:

I R Mushroom, and fortunately not in the Gaza strip.......always something to be thankfull about!

MAY THE PAY INCREASE AND CONTRACTS BE PLENTIFULL IN THE NEW YEAR!

Canuck Guy
31st Dec 2008, 14:25
Were all just minions at the whim of management to do what they please with and they wonder why people leave...

Yup, sounds like a helicopter company to me. Heaven forbid the people risking life and limb every day ever get a "thanks" or treated like they matter.

Remember, we love our jobs and should be greatfull the company lets us fly.:yuk:

030Outbound
3rd Jan 2009, 02:33
Second 76 C++ has arrived BKK, will be ferried to Songkhla next week to join HTP already here. 3rd C++ will arrive BKK shortly. May be a bit of a delay on the 4th ship. HTC (S61) to depart on or about 15 Feb.

Or at least that is the rumor ;):ok:

platong king
3rd Jan 2009, 04:09
Think you're closer to fact than rumour there 030. Sad day though when HTC does in fact depart the fix.

Outwest
3rd Jan 2009, 09:07
ever get a "thanks" or treated like they matter.

Will probably ruffle some feathers with this, but here goes.

I don't know about you, by I get my "thanks" on the 15th and the 30 of every month. That's what I expect from them, nothing more, nothing less. Also, you don't matter. If they could train monkeys to fly and fix these things they would. (actually told to me by Eddy Aman at Bow Copters many many moons ago)

You (and me) are considered a necessary evil of making money.

Drive the bus, come home safe, collect your pay, go to the darkside......repeat as nessasary ;)

Rant over :}

Canuck Guy
3rd Jan 2009, 17:32
I can see you point but disagree. If they could make us work without pay, but paid us anyways then that would be thanks indeed.

But like my wife says, no pilot is ever happy unless they're bitching about something trivial. ;)

Outwest
4th Jan 2009, 00:03
If they could make us work without pay, but paid us anyways then that would be thanks indeed.

No, that would be Santa Claus :D :ok:

Have a great day, I'm outta here for 3 weeks :E

platong king
4th Jan 2009, 03:06
If we as employees are a necessary evil for making the company money, then so be it. However, I look at the company (any helicopter company for that matter) as merely a resource for me to exploit to my maximum advantage.

I know it goes both ways, but I prefer to think of the company as a host, with me being the virus. I get as much out of them as I can and when there's nothing further to be gained by staying there, I move on. :E

Apologies for the thread drift.

Deiced
5th Jan 2009, 01:59
I am afraid that if CHC has actually won this it was probably done by giving up any future wage increases for the crews or any anticipated perks. Chevron wins here!

BOOMER1
5th Jan 2009, 08:35
More power to the formation of the GHPA then I guess!:ok:

Deiced
5th Jan 2009, 13:34
What's the latest with that? Seems to have gone quiet.

BOOMER1
6th Jan 2009, 02:50
The second set of hearings just concluded in the beginning of December. The Canadian Industrial Relations Board has heard CHC’s second major objection to the GHPA’s application for certification. CHC claims it is not the true employer of its pilots working around the world, yet they are being paid and administratively handled through their office in Richmond, Canada! There are a myriad of other arguments with respect to CHC’s stance and all were argued at the hearings accordingly. The hearings lasted for a total of six days and the results of the hearings are expected to be passed down by the end of February. CHC has vowed to oppose any hearing in favor of the GHPA, as one might expect, and the struggle will continue to the next level in two months time. I hope that this helps.

P.S. my apologies for getting off the thread with this post…………

nbl
22nd Jan 2009, 11:28
Any news on contract renewal yet?

Outwest
22nd Jan 2009, 23:30
Contract signing imminent :ugh:

unstable load
23rd Jan 2009, 03:14
Funny, I seem to have heard that before somewhere.......

platong king
24th Jan 2009, 01:51
Does anyone besides just me find the latest epistle coming out of the Glass House in Richmond to be more than a little curious in its timing??? On 14 Jan., BC wrote, "Among other strong commercial opportunities globally, we are anticipating successful contract award from Chevron Thailand at the end of this month...."

So now we are "anticipating" being awarded the contract. Hmm, interesting. Next door, Si Chang are also telling their people they are "anticipating" being awarded the contract. Call me a cynic, but use of the word "anticipating", especially at this late stage of the game, sounds more like "we really have no idea yet if we're getting the contract, but we're hopeful." So what are we to make of it should the end of the month roll around without any announcement of who's been awarded the contract? The only reason I even make that statement is that we keep hearing "it'll be signed next week" or something similar to that. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure I can recognise a trend when I see one and quite frankly, the trend I'm seeing so far is not exactly inspiring me with confidence. I suppose on the flipside, if the end of the month does roll around, accompanied by the formal announcement that TAS has been awarded the contract, we'll all sleep much more soundly.

I appreciate that a company, any company, really cannot or should not make a formal announcement of a contract being awarded before it's truly a done deal, but seriously, is this the best they can do???

Think it's time to take my medication again..............:\

malabo
24th Jan 2009, 03:38
Platong King, your sense of loyalty is commendable. If your only objective is to continue to work in Thailand, why would you give a rat's a-- who you work for? After all, the work is not going to disappear, and Si Chang is going to need qualified pilots to service the contract as much as CHC. Y'all seem pretty happy slamming CHC, so shouldn't you prefer someone else to get the contract and then simply go work for them? This is your big chance to get out from under the dark hummingbird. Or does Si Chang hire only Thai's and CHC only expats?

platong king
24th Jan 2009, 04:08
malabo,

The points you raise are indeed valid, especially to those who have a much more vested interest in CHC winning the contract than I do. I'm afraid my loyalty to any company only goes as far as the loyalty they're willing to extend to me, and we all know how THAT goes.

Now where did I put my Prozac?

unstable load
24th Jan 2009, 10:55
Funny thing, that. Not so long ago there was a missive from on high saying that we did indeed have the contract despite any thoughts/rumours/ideas to the contrary.

Still, a job's a job and as long as the salary comes in on time..................

Taxidriver009
11th Feb 2009, 10:05
If there is one thing I don't trust, it is silence!

Anything?
Anyone?

030Outbound
13th Feb 2009, 03:46
Well according to Si-Chang management we have been awarded the contract.

Si -Chang issued a letter to their employees Jan 23rd. It stated that they have received word from Chevron that they were unsuccessful in their bid AND that the contract was awarded to TAS/CHC.

The unofficial word is that TAS have the contract, although not yet signed, BUT can not announce it to the staff due to legal implications :ugh: :mad:

2 x S61, 3 x S76 C++ in SKL 1 x C++, 1 x C+, 1 x A++ in UTP. All this until the move to Nakhon.......1 year from now ;)

This was the news prior to having some blow overs within a week recently........as expected Chevron not impressed :=

030Outbound
14th Feb 2009, 09:40
Mods, I see a couple posts were deleted. Were some rules broken?

Senior Pilot
14th Feb 2009, 09:46
Mods, I see a couple posts were deleted. Were some rules broken?

Yes. You helped identify some individuals with your post: it was deleted along with others which further contributed to that identification :=

030Outbound
14th Feb 2009, 10:03
My apologies. Was only trying to clarify what the other poster had insinuated.

unstable load
28th Feb 2009, 11:41
So, finally the announcement was posted on the boards.

5 years with 2 one year extension options for initially 4x S76C++, 1x S76C+ and 2x S61 until the move expected in mid 2010 to Nakhon Si Thammarat when the fleet will be 6 maybe 7 C++'s.

Some good news in among all the gloom at present!:D

Super 61
1st Mar 2009, 05:18
Well done to all the CHC Regional/TAS crew in BKK, great effort !

choppertop
2nd Mar 2009, 16:58
I've searched and searched... but can someone tell me the CP's name at CHC Thailand? PM me please! Cheers.

[Dives for cover :ouch:]

Canadian Rotorhead
3rd Mar 2009, 00:03
Capt'n Jack. Jack Stokes.