PDA

View Full Version : Drunk pilot at 2007 Peanut Fest to serve 60 days

bellsux
16th Nov 2008, 23:25
from dailypress.com

A helicopter pilot has been sentenced to 60 days in jail for erratic flights that he gave during the 2007 Suffolk Peanut Festival.

Ronald John Davis Jr. of Naples, Fla., was charged with reckless operation of an aircraft, operating an aircraft while under the influence and child endangerment. His flight patterns drew suspicion, and people who rode with him said he reeked of alcohol.

He was sentenced to a year in jail, with all but two months suspended, on the reckless-operation charge, as well as five years in jail — with all that suspended on good behavior — on the child-endangerment charge. He will be under two years of supervised probation, Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Jeff James said. Davis isn't allowed to fly for at least five years, James said.

Gordy
16th Nov 2008, 23:45
See video Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcqV6Ja8RLI)

AviatorAtHeart
17th Nov 2008, 01:13
Well, it looks like the end of his flying career. :ugh:

Coconutty
17th Nov 2008, 14:13
I suppose someone has to say it -

Peanuts and Monkeys ?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

fluffy5
17th Nov 2008, 14:51
Yep peanut's, so you needed the Beer.:}

Sikorskyfan
18th Nov 2008, 19:33
He had a child onboard, what an a##HOLE!

Flying Bull
20th Nov 2008, 08:18
Hi folks,

itīs not o.k. to fly under influence of alcohol. So it is the pilots own fault to got charged.

About the flying bit on the video - itīs not that scarry for me at all.
He went of low level - in ground effect and then did a zoomclimb to convert speed into height - probably a military background - and it seems, that there have been plenty of room for an emergencylanding in case of.
May be there are different views - but with a Bell two blade system you can easily fly this profile with beeing able to land in case of any emergency - whats reckless except beeing drunk while doing it?

Greetings Flying Bull

estepo
20th Nov 2008, 11:23
What's reckless? Nothing whatsoever..........perhaps we should all try it:E

CRAZYBROADSWORD
20th Nov 2008, 16:14
I'm with flying bull there is nothing wrong with the flying, you could not do it under UK aoc rules but in the states that kind of flying is normal. The being drunk bit is very bad and the pilot should be charged but theres nothing wrong with the flying.

B Sousa
21st Nov 2008, 07:00
I guess this just proves that Carnival rides and Tours will drive you to drink...........