PDA

View Full Version : Vista32 won't do a Windows update and won't boot!

Mikehotel152
16th Nov 2008, 19:33
Hello oh wise and wonderful ppruners.

I have Vista 32 bit on a Lenovo laptop. I'm not entirely sure when this problem started, but of late the automatic windows update feature tells me it cannot search for updates because of error 80070490. I have searched the internet for solutions and, although there appear to be people who have found something that works for them, the solutions are varied and all the ones I have tried have had no effect on my laptop. I'm at the end of my tether and I'm considering paying for a downgrade to XP because this laptop has been rubbish from the outset.

I have an additional problem. Although I shutdown the laptop in the usual way through the start menu, every time I turn it on and before Vista commences it's start up (with the screen still blank but fans and lights on) the laptop abruptly switches off again. If one presses the on button again, the laptop commences but goes to a Lenovo recovery screen that tells you that you did not shutdown the computer properly (!) and gives you the option of repairing or starting normally. Repairing works, but starting normally does not.

Despite the fact that the laptop is usuable, it takes ages to get through the 'repair' process each time I want to use it and I wonder whether the Windows update problem is related to the shutdown issue? :hmm:

Any help or advice very much appreciated. :)

green granite
17th Nov 2008, 07:07
Try doing a roll back to a restore point before you first noticed the problem, you shouldn't loose any data but you would need to re-install any programs installed after the restore point.

Not the most fun solution

This may have some relevance try section 4

Error code 0x80072F8F when you try to search for available updates on Windows Update and Microsoft Update sites (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929458)

Mikehotel152
17th Nov 2008, 08:22
Hi Green granite,

Sadly I have tried to restore to an earlier point but unfortunately the restore function on his Lenovo laptop did not work at all until mid October. Come to think of it, that coincides with the start of the update problems...:ooh: