PDA

View Full Version : FAA licenses

sambel
15th Nov 2008, 20:13
I currently hold a CPL IR ME JAA license and a frozen ATPL.
If have about 400h on airplanes and doing a instructors course.

Now I would like to get a FAA license at first just a CPL IR SE & ME and later on the FAA instructors license and the ATP (yes I know I will need 1500h)
I would do the CPL written tests in Europe. Most of the school that I've contacted they offer me a full program?. With all the hours that a persons who starts to fly would need. I've done some hour building in the US a few years ago, with a FAA PPL based on my foreign license.
It seems more like a commercial move (because of the slow economy in the US) than the way I should take.
So I looking for a school that will only offer the minimum required time to be able to do get my FAA licenses at the shortest amount of time.

Can someone point me in the right direction??
Thank you.

B2N2
15th Nov 2008, 20:49
It looks like you need the following:

Foreign pilot instrument written test
Instrument training as required to pass the practical test
Training as required to pass the CPL SE
Training as required to pass the CPL ME add-on

Keep in mind that you need to apply for a new letter of verification since you will be using the restricted certificate to attach the FAA IR and apply for the CPL.
Read about it here:
Airmen Certification: Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

The foreign IR can be attached to the restricted PPL you hold, but it will NOT carry over to a FAA CPL, therefore the IR training and checkride.
I assume you meet all the PIC and XC requirements for the FAA CPL.
You can check them here:
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=6d23d0a9c384c7f35bd12244e5fa0382&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.6)

(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes.

(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least—

(i) 50 hours in airplanes; and

(ii) 50 hours in cross-country flight of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes.

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(1) of this part that includes at least—

(i) 10 hours of instrument training of which at least 5 hours must be in a single-engine airplane;

(ii) 10 hours of training in an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller, or is turbine-powered, or for an applicant seeking a single-engine seaplane rating, 10 hours of training in a seaplane that has flaps and a controllable pitch propeller;

(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

(iv) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(v) 3 hours in a single-engine airplane in preparation for the practical test within the 60-day period preceding the date of the test.

(4) 10 hours of solo flight in a single-engine airplane on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(1) of this part, which includes at least—

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; and

(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

mcgoo
15th Nov 2008, 21:12
You say you want the shortest amount of time but have you studied enough for the required oral exams, you will need to be very familiar with the FAR/AIM, license and maintenance requirements, airspace, charts etc etc etc, you need to know the oral exam guides cover to cover and more!

The written exams are piece of cake but if you havn't studied for the oral exams you wont even make it into the aircraft!

Don't forget as well all the extra things in the FAA CPL test that you might not have done, chandelles, lazy eights, eights on pylons, steep spirals, power off 180's etc, all of this may be why they are quoting you more hours.

sambel
15th Nov 2008, 21:49
yes, thank you.
I have all the requested hours and even did most of them in the US.
I'm currently requesting the TSA and all the other paperwork.

Yep I'm also studying all the other books. I did a FAA PPL ME based on my foreign, so I know the oral can be a little harder.
I really don't have a problem with some extra hours to train some lazzy eights, etc.. it's cheaper to do it in the US than training here in Europe with a rated FAA instructor. (fuel cost, landing fees,etc..)
Would it be possible to send me some good school names that would consider helping and training me with a professional attitude? (cost-efficient)
If it's not possible to post it on the public forum, please send me a private message.

thank you

Harmattan96
16th Nov 2008, 17:44
Why don't you talk to the professionals at Europe-American Aviation in Naples, Florida.
Not the cheapest alternative, but they will get you done pronto and you will walk out of there knowing you got your moneys worth.
They don't jerk you around with extra hours, and they will taylor a syllabus which will make you achieve your objective with the best outcome for your pocket and your personnal education.

Europe-American Aviation - Welcome to Naples, Florida! (http://www.eaa-fly.com)

If they don't treat you right, come back and tell me, I have ways to yank some ears.

sambel
16th Nov 2008, 20:36
:) Super thank you!